BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spray welding ........

+4
schmitty
dfree383
bosshoss
bruno
8 posters

Go down

spray welding ........ Empty spray welding ........

Post  bruno July 16th 2010, 7:08 am

Ck this out ..... is this crazy or what ??? or is this common to weld like this ......

http://www.headbytes.com/

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

spray welding ........ Empty Re: spray welding ........

Post  bosshoss July 16th 2010, 10:28 am

Pretty cool stuff. The spray welding thing has been around for years but looks like this guy has taken it to a new level on heads Very Happy

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 16th 2010, 10:50 am

You should see Ceramic welding......
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 16th 2010, 2:13 pm

bosshoss wrote:Pretty cool stuff. The spray welding thing has been around for years but looks like this guy has taken it to a new level on heads Very Happy

dkp
Yes indeed he has. Spray welding involves an oxy/acetylene torch and a special tip and is primarily used for the application of hard surface to wearable steel parts. I have used it on several places that wear out quickly on my hay cutter head, and corn picker head. This is a very unique application, and if it works as this is advertised, a person wouldn't have to throw away some very expensive castings if something happens to them. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs July 16th 2010, 3:38 pm

or even just cut out and reshape a poorly designed exhaust port.... Smile
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 July 16th 2010, 5:18 pm

I have one and it's a skill you have to acquire to do it correctly. I have used it to build up shafts and such, but I have never used it on a automotive head. I did remake and reposition an intake port for a one cylinder engine for a 1/4 scale pulling tractor. I sprayed enough on the outside of the port to cover the cast iron that I could get on it with a tig and continue on to the final shape and location. That was done on the inside and outside of the port , I raised it about an inch and lengthen the short side and gave it a bigger radius.

The D2ve's I ran at the first bash met their maker by a friend of mine running them on his 4x4 pulling truck. He knocked a hole in the chamber and gouged the seat and bowl when a retainer unkeyed and they dropped a valve.

When I get caught up I am going to try to repair them, but I will heat them to over to 600 degrees before I start to spray weld, and after I'm through let them cool slowly.

You can spray several different materials with this set up, as the added material is in a container atop the torch. After you heat the parent material to a workable temp. You hold the torch tip away from the work far enough that when you push the oxygen lever same as on a cutting torch it makes a low pressure area under the material cup and the powdered metal flows out into the flame and onto the work. The torch has to be far enough away from the work to allow time for the powder to melt to a semi liquid form to bond to the parent material.

On round shafts I have done, when I tuned the shaft back down on a lathe to size, you couldn't tell where the weld started and the original shaft began.

Hope you could follow this explanation, I didn't do to good of a job ................. Very Happy
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones July 16th 2010, 7:23 pm

bruno wrote:Ck this out ..... is this crazy or what ??? or is this common to weld like this ......

http://www.headbytes.com/

There was a set of aluminum heads for sale not long ago that had this treatment. A lot of dirt track racers have been doing this to aluminum heads for a long time now.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane July 16th 2010, 9:56 pm

Who is this guy, he is making some bold statements about porting and velocity.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down