BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ?

+2
dfree383
nuclearcobra
6 posters

Go down

C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ? Empty C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ?

Post  nuclearcobra July 21st 2010, 6:56 am

I'm trying to help a friend on this, he's using a c5 trans behind his 351w in his fairmont and he has a converter he wants to try but its for a pan fill c4 tci #462000 its the one i listed on here. The other day a trans guy said he can use this converter with his c5 trans as long as he uses a c4 164 tooth flexplate and bellhousing, anybody heard of this or have any info on this ?
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ? Empty Re: C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ?

Post  dfree383 July 21st 2010, 7:12 am

Theirs 2 different spline counts on the input shafts, as far as I can Remember the Pan fill and Case fill ones are different.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ? Empty Re: C4-C5 trans/bell housings and converter swaping ?

Post  nuclearcobra July 21st 2010, 8:01 am

Your right they are diffrent but the splines on the c5 are the same as the pan fill c4. The thing is the c5 bell and converter are wider or i should say deeper front to back thus the need for a 164th bell which is narrower front to back. We tried the converter back in february when we put the motor in and it fit in the c5 but i could see that it wasent even close to bolting it too the flexplate without having to pull it out of the tranny too far, and the only other bell i had to try was a 157th but had no flexplate for it. I just dont want to see him buy a 164th bellhousing and findout it aint gonna work either, it seems like it would work but i never messed with this kind of swap, the only c4's i've used are the small 141th mustang two flexplate and bell housing.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 21st 2010, 10:13 pm

is a c5 not just a c4 with a pan fill?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra July 22nd 2010, 3:23 am

No a c5 is a case fill also ,it began production in 81 and superseded the c4 in 82, it says the c5 is a modernized version of the c4 with a lockup converter which is what he is using for now and its monster converter. I guess were gonna give it a try i was just hoping to hear that someone else has done it before.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 22nd 2010, 11:26 am

The pan fill is not a C-5 it is what Ford called their C-4 s . The 70 and up C-4's were all 26 spline . The c-5 has a different pan that is about 2 qts deeper, the bell housing is deeper from back of flywheel to front pump and larger in diameter. The bell housing on the C-5 is bolted on with the with the front pump bolts like the case fill C-4. The pan fill only has one size bell and flywheel set up which is 164 teeth. the C-5 can have the bell removed and a c-4 bell with either 164 or 157 tooth flywheel.

One other note about the C-5 it will not only have a deeper pan but the valve body is different than any of the c-4 valve bodies . good luck!
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 22nd 2010, 1:48 pm

whitefield wrote:The pan fill is not a C-5 it is what Ford called their C-4 s . The 70 and up C-4's were all 26 spline . The c-5 has a different pan that is about 2 qts deeper, the bell housing is deeper from back of flywheel to front pump and larger in diameter. The bell housing on the C-5 is bolted on with the with the front pump bolts like the case fill C-4. The pan fill only has one size bell and flywheel set up which is 164 teeth. the C-5 can have the bell removed and a c-4 bell with either 164 or 157 tooth flywheel.

One other note about the C-5 it will not only have a deeper pan but the valve body is different than any of the c-4 valve bodies . good luck!
i know i have a 26 spline but the bell dont bolt on with the pump.it had a sb bell when i got it and i put the bb on it.it's had lots of converters in it,even c6,and some fit easier than others.last time it was down i got a drum from a c5,i thought,and changed out the thick steel in it for a couple more clutches and thin steels.i always thought they were all about alike,inside anyway. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra July 22nd 2010, 2:57 pm

Thanks whitefield thats what i wanted to hear, so the guy we talked too is right about the swap. Last year my buddy put a new tci c4 valvebody in it along with a full rebuild so he's good to go he just wants to try a converter finaly. And cool40 you have the early c4 that the bell bolts on to the trans case the later ones bolt to the pump like this c5, i just had the same friend i'm helpin give me a pan fill c4 and i've had a bell from a 351m for a while so now i can bolt it to a 460 one day to try. Thanks Guys for the info.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace July 22nd 2010, 9:33 pm

I just got done building (having built) a C-5 which has the Pan fill dip stick. I just bolted my bell from the C-4 right to it. I don't think they made a C-5 that wasn't a pan fill deal.

ace
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield July 22nd 2010, 11:52 pm

all pan fill trans where c-4 s which were in 69 up ford trucks and 78 77 ford cars with the 400 and 351m . Their are other vehicles I am sure that they were in that I didn't list . The c-5 was not introduced until around late 1980 or early 81. Suspect
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra July 23rd 2010, 8:48 am

whitefield wrote:all pan fill trans where c-4 s which were in 69 up ford trucks and 78 77 ford cars with the 400 and 351m . Their are other vehicles I am sure that they were in that I didn't list . The c-5 was not introduced until around late 1980 or early 81. Suspect
Your right all pan fill's were c4's they didnt make a pan fill c5. So powerstroke if your dipstick tube fits into the pan and not the case you got a c4.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra August 1st 2010, 8:44 am

nuclearcobra wrote:
whitefield wrote:all pan fill trans where c-4 s which were in 69 up ford trucks and 78 77 ford cars with the 400 and 351m . Their are other vehicles I am sure that they were in that I didn't list . The c-5 was not introduced until around late 1980 or early 81. Suspect
Your right all pan fill's were c4's they didnt make a pan fill c5. So powerstroke if your dipstick tube fits into the pan and not the case you got a c4.
Powerstroke i stand corrected i was wrong you are right they did make c5's both in case fill and pan fill.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  powerstrokeace August 1st 2010, 11:00 am

I KNOW in the pan fill.......... I'm glad you now know as well

Ace

Last edited by powerstrokeace on August 1st 2010, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
powerstrokeace
powerstrokeace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 1st 2010, 11:03 pm

I beg to differ, i have a c5 with the fine threaded rear band adjuster and 1/4 ; bigger cooler passages and the factory 8 thrust washer lube hole amd c5 pump with the newer stater oiling with a factory panfill and the extra flange for big bell. I have only seen one and it has a E something pt# for 80s, I was happy to find it because i needed the deeper pan and I wanted the newer mods and high drum for extra clutches.

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra August 5th 2010, 8:26 am

Ed501 wrote:I beg to differ, i have a c5 with the fine threaded rear band adjuster and 1/4 ; bigger cooler passages and the factory 8 thrust washer lube hole amd c5 pump with the newer stater oiling with a factory panfill and the extra flange for big bell. I have only seen one and it has a E something pt# for 80s, I was happy to find it because i needed the deeper pan and I wanted the newer mods and high drum for extra clutches.
And you beg to differ about what ?
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield August 6th 2010, 10:06 am

Do you guys have any pics of the c-5 that is pan filled? Suspect The front band or intermediat band adjustment on a true c-5 is fine thread and not the rear band adjuster. The pan fill transmissions were called a c4 and not c5. Ford also made a c-4 semi - automatic with a code of PEG-A for 1970 and PEG-A1 for 1971. c-4 has 11in converter.

The c-5 has has a 12in lock -up torque converter, and a valve body change that the converter relief valve has been moved from the reactor support in the pump assembly to the valve body.

c-5 truck code or f150 is PEA-CU 6-300 cid engine

I hope this helps and if you have any pics please send scratch Very Happy
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 11th 2010, 1:51 am

Sorry, i didnt see where it was said there was a c5 pan fill . Also it does have the front fine thread adjuster not rear, i got to start going to bed earlier Embarassed

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra August 11th 2010, 9:24 pm

Theres good info at www.monster-c4-thread-tech
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed501 August 11th 2010, 9:46 pm

So, what if you dont have a converter releif valve no more since you used a manual valvbdy in a c-5 and the c-5 pump. I heard stall might just be looser , does it hurt anything? Question

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down