BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans

+7
richter69
BigDave65
DanH
ThndrChkn
cool40
Nevs
jbozzelle
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans Empty Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans

Post  jbozzelle September 12th 2010, 8:20 pm

Can't get the converter to go on far enough to get the required flexplate to converter clearance. The converter is was used in a stock case/bell glide. We're trying to install it in another stock case/bell glide. It engages the pump (I think) but will not slide down the stator splines. I don't even have the input shaft installed at this point. The input shaft will engage in the converter though.

Basically all we have done is swap transmissions and we're trying to install the same converter in a new transmission. Any ideas? It's a Chevy, but that doesn't matter... Rolling Eyes

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans Empty Re: Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans

Post  Nevs September 12th 2010, 8:24 pm

Same splines on the input shaft? Could it be a turbo spline converter vs. a stock pg spline? Or vise versa?
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans Empty Re: Can't get converter on far enough... powerglide trans

Post  cool40 September 12th 2010, 9:02 pm

keep spinnen it and it should go in, Wink i know you just said "no shit"to me but they can be a PIA sometimes.you may even spin it the other direction.has it spit any fluid out the cooler lines while you spin it?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 12th 2010, 10:43 pm

The input shaft is correct and fits in the converter without a problem.

What am I trying to accomplish by spinning? Getting it to slide into the pump drive gear or getting it to slide onto the stator support shaft splines?

Basically we are just swapping transmissions but keeping the same converter.... Just a PG with a Turbo spline shaft. I'll dump some fluid in the pan and see if it will pump some out of the lines. It just needs to slide on about another 1/4 inch and it'll be OK.

Are there different width drive gears lugs for different year PGs, or maybe V8 or 6 cyl PGs? In other words, do the notches on the converter snout need to be a certain width depending on the pump drive gear lugs or are they all the same width?

Someone told us to open up the width of the notches on the converter snout to help it slide over the pump drive gear lugs. Does this sound right?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 12th 2010, 10:48 pm

jbozzelle wrote:What am I trying to accomplish by spinning? Getting it to slide into the pump drive gear or getting it to slide onto the stator support shaft splines?

The input shaft is correct and fits in the converter without a problem.

Basically we are just swapping transmissions but keeping the same converter.... Just a PG with a Turbo spline shaft. I'll dump some fluid in the pan and see if it pump some out of the lines. It just needs to slide on about another 1/4 inch and it'll be OK.

That being the case, by spinning it, it helps align things. Sounds like you might be on a slight bind to me. They can be a bear sometimes. I'm sure you'll get it.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 12th 2010, 11:07 pm

It will actually go on so far then stop and then we have to yank on it to get it off. It's getting stuck somewhere. We're unsure if the drive gear lugs on the pump gears are too wide for the notches on the converter snout or it the stator splines are causing problems...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 12th 2010, 11:12 pm

the reason for spinning it is to find the sweet spot to line up with the pump.i just changed mine monday and i know what your goen through.i was almost ready to pull it back out when it dropped on in.i was spinnen the hell out of it,then went the other way and it went in.after it did i went back the other way,just to teach it a lesson i guess,and it shot fluid out the line fitting all over the floor. Mad lesson learned.i'm not sure about the slot be'n any smaller on any glide converters but i think they're all the same.you could call a local trans guy and ask before you screw up,i would screw it up first then call.good luck Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 12th 2010, 11:20 pm

What is needed to use a Turbo converter on a PG? Is it just a input shaft change, or does the bushing in the pump need to be changed too?

I was just looking through my powerglide rebuilding book and it mentioned that when changing the stator support tube that one advantage is the aftermarket units come with a Turbo bushing already installed... Could this be the problem? Maybe this pump still has the PG bushing and it doesn't like the converter?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 13th 2010, 12:25 am

i wish i could tell you,i do know my glide has a turbo spline input shaft.i think the only dif. in a turbo and a glide are the spline count on the input.if the input fits your converter,that's not the problem.sorry i'm not much help,wish i was closer so we could both cuss it. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 13th 2010, 11:20 pm

well? any luck?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 14th 2010, 9:30 am

Didn't get a chance to work on it again.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 14th 2010, 9:38 am

I had the same problem John. When I put mine together this past spring, it took forever to get the converter back in. But keeping my cool, and not taking a hammer to it, I finally prevailed.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 14th 2010, 5:33 pm

stand the trans on end , other trick is put pump gear lugs at 12/6 o'clock if what to try on the bench . once lugs are in , your in

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 September 14th 2010, 5:37 pm

There are some pump gears out there that have drive ears on them that are taller than standard gears. My tranny man put one in my glide a few years ago by mistake. Did exactly what you are describing. When he found it he was like "where in the world did that gear come from" .

I don't know what they fit, but they are out there.

Last edited by BigDave65 on September 14th 2010, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 14th 2010, 5:38 pm

I'll try that. Won't get to fool with it until tomorrow though. I'll see how far I get.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 14th 2010, 5:38 pm

I usually get the splines in no trouble, the pump gear is last..............if the pump gear spins with the converter it will never line up..........I usually locate the tabs and try to orient the hub................the gm deals can be a bitch.....if it stats to go and then binds you need to figure out why......the gear tabs need to float otherwise you'll score the pump up in a hurry.

richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 14th 2010, 5:40 pm

BigDave65 wrote:There are some pump gears out there that have drive ears on them that are taller than standard gears. My tranny man put one in my glide a few years ago by mistake. Did exactly what you are describing. When he found it he was like "where in the world did that gear come from" .

Taller or wider? I still think this one is getting hung on the stator shaft. I plan to wipe some grease on the stator shaft and see exactly how far down it's sliding...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 14th 2010, 6:37 pm

Yeah, thats how my wife does it. Smile
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 September 14th 2010, 8:01 pm

Clean the splines good if you using a old pump it will look clean but dirt and rust will buildup and not let it slide on that was my problem after cleaning mine slide right on.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 14th 2010, 8:02 pm

Curt wrote:Yeah, thats how my wife does it. Smile

I would've expected this from Fabio, not you...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 14th 2010, 10:13 pm

HeRo'S dont need no f*$#@! grease! Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 14th 2010, 10:33 pm

cool40 wrote:HeRo'S dont need no f*$#@! grease! Laughing

I slather the motherf=cker in green oil............... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 14th 2010, 11:24 pm

jbozzelle wrote:I would've expected this from Fabio, not you...

Embarassed
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 September 15th 2010, 9:43 am

jbozzelle wrote:
BigDave65 wrote:There are some pump gears out there that have drive ears on them that are taller than standard gears. My tranny man put one in my glide a few years ago by mistake. Did exactly what you are describing. When he found it he was like "where in the world did that gear come from" .

Taller or wider? I still think this one is getting hung on the stator shaft. I plan to wipe some grease on the stator shaft and see exactly how far down it's sliding...

If I remember right they were taller. But that's been a while ago.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 15th 2010, 4:12 pm

Stator is jacked up. Converter fits fine on another pump. Pump will get swapped today and all will be good...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next