BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bottom end bearings

+5
bb429power
richter69
72mav
DanH
wayne rhodes
9 posters

Go down

bottom end bearings Empty bottom end bearings

Post  wayne rhodes July 22nd 2010, 11:11 pm

In my years of building engines and trial and error thrown at me, I have learned If you can't afford to have the motor Aline honed and rods re-sized. and bearings just the right size for racing 6500rpm and above the motor can not be put together tight. it will spin a bearing or blow up because the tolerances are to tight.well here's a little tip that can help a bunch pull the rods out look at the bearings if they look OK then more than likely the Main bearing will also. you can change the rod bolts and get a way with it, at home leave the bearing that came in the motor in the motor. the factory Clarence's will be slightly more than what they were from the factory and spin the oil pump and if it has good oil pressure then you will be in business and save a ton of machine work and more importantly your money.Now you are not going to be able to spin the motor to 6500 rpm, and occasional 6000 rpm will suffice. now at least you will know you have good rod bolts. the rod bolts are what fail most of the time. and the rod's will break in half also but most failures . all your out are the bolt them selves. It's when you start spinning the motor to the moon is when the the rods break in half. 500 to 550 horsepower is all your going to get out of the car rods the truck rods will take another 500 rpm or 6500 rpm.all you are going to be out is good rod bolts and maybe a set of rings turn the motor over . if the cylinders all look good no over heating problems then you will only need to check compression ratio and if it has 60 65 cold cranking oil pressure then your in business before you do anything check compression ratio and and if it looks good inside the motor then your out what, $150.00 for a long block now all the other money can go into your street motor or everyday driving thanks WR

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

bottom end bearings Empty Re: bottom end bearings

Post  DanH July 23rd 2010, 9:56 am

know what you mean about -- if can't afford to . to get the bearing clearence for that ultra high 6500 RPM --- I just get some brake lathe cutting and mix with oil . coat the bearings with that mix . and break the engine in . then just drain the oil , filter it thru a sock( use a sock that needs washing) reinstall the oil . dready to go for 9500 RPM if you got the valve springs . springs are another story.

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav July 23rd 2010, 10:16 am

DAN.............. affraid
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne rhodes July 23rd 2010, 11:00 am

bottom end bearings Icon_lol bottom end bearings Lol bottom end bearings Icon_rr
DanH wrote:know what you mean about -- if can't afford to . to get the bearing clearence for that ultra high 6500 RPM --- I just get some brake lathe cutting and mix with oil . coat the bearings with that mix . and break the engine in . then just drain the oil , filter it thru a sock( use a sock that needs washing) reinstall the oil . ready to go for 9500 RPM if you got the valve springs . springs are another story.
theres always someone who does not understand how to save money ad or scrounge for what they wot if you did not like what I wrote then simply leave it alone some people just look for a fight

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 23rd 2010, 11:17 am

Spell check and and proper word definition are a must when posting on an internet forum, even when the information is a general meaningless ramble.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 23rd 2010, 11:44 am

Well I have read that the HP isn't what kills the rods, its the rpms. You can get the rpms up that high IF you work the OEM rods properly. By grinding down the excess cast it eliminates weak spots and in term allows them to spin higher rpms. Someone on here spun stock rods at 7200 rpm for 30 seconds in a burnout contest and nothing broke. Of course balancing is required if you do this though.
Before:
bottom end bearings P1310458

After:
bottom end bearings P7170109
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

bottom end bearings Empty Fuze ball

Post  wayne rhodes July 23rd 2010, 5:18 pm

bottom end bearings Icon_lol quote="richter69"]Spell check and and proper word definition are a must when posting on an internet forum, even when the information is a general meaningless ramble.[/quote]I never said I could spell very good you people are dogs out dogging any little thing you can find to start trouble. the computer is new to me. and well like you say who cares go spend all your money.some of us are disabled and on a fixed income with a wife and children to support. wife can not work she has to take care of the children and myself. Don't be so Quick to put me down. I may not have the education you have. maybe I did not do so well in school so try to understand where Im coming from I would never tell you anything about a motor because it would be meaningless ramble. who said you had to read it or comment on it in the first place are you a rich boy with loads of money? and your daddy bought you everything and you have never worked a day in your life?? well thats what you sound like Can you here yourself fuze ball. I have worked a circle track engines and drag race engines any where from turbo charged to blown motors carburetors degreeing camshafts selecting a camshaft for a pro stock team you name it I have been there Pictures of me incarcraft and drag times and 460 fourm just to name a few FUZE BALL now lets see what you email this time I'm dieing to read it so get that keyboard warmed up Mr know it all! people say that people you know everything or think they do actually know nothing or don't have a clue to busy looking for fault on email's there fuze ball WR

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 23rd 2010, 9:22 pm

study study study
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

bottom end bearings Empty berings

Post  wayne rhodes July 23rd 2010, 10:07 pm

bottom end bearings Icon_lol bottom end bearings Icon_lol bottom end bearings Icon_lol
69F100 wrote: study study study
If you can not look at the bearings to see if a copper lining is showing through the half shell then yo are OK. with bearings here it is in a nut shell it is better to use the factory bearing's as it would be to only throw in a new set of bearings. and not check for clearance the whole thing is about clearances.bearings tell a story about where the stress area's where in the bearing babbitt. again to much clearance will cause the oil pressure to drop and destroy the engine when I put together lets say a 460 Ford and I'm gonna spin the thing up some rpm's not 8000+ rpm but up to 6500 is the norm for mild street motor again its all about clearances in order to run more clearance for the intended rpm will need a high volume oil pump not I repeat not a high pressure oil pump. I set my engine clearances to run the motor wide open and on a cold motor. if you do run a cold motor with standard clearances or God forbid just throwing the bearings in there the engine will not oil properly and blow up. and the only time you would need to run a high pressure high volume pump would be with 8000+ rpms then you need to take oil and pump it from the pressure near the oil pump to the rear of the block among other things that takes to long to write WR

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 23rd 2010, 10:27 pm

Well if you can't afford a set of bearing then just maybe you shouldn't be tearing apart any engine to rebuild it then... if you can't afford it then stay the hell out of the engine....

I have found that most people that are disabled are just honestly to freakin lazy to work so they figure out a way to get disability....

JMHO
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne rhodes July 23rd 2010, 10:58 pm

Code:
Code:
the Coug wrote:Well if you can't afford a set of bearing then just maybe you shouldn't be tearing apart any engine to rebuild it then... if you can't afford it then stay the hell out of the engine....

I have found that most people that are disabled are just honestly to freakin lazy to work so they figure out a way to get disability....

JMHO
Randy
some people are negative bout everything in there lives, and no one wants to be around them since no body knows anything but them. learn to see the forest through the trees.the ordeal is about us blowing up a engine and we needed another short block right then and now some one said here's a junk yard about a mile down cant remember any way had no way to take it apart and check it $10,000 was on the line so when we got it ready I filled the crank case full of synthetic oil and spun the oil pump over and it showed 65 cold cranking oil pressure we were in buisness I needed Just one pass to get me down the Quarter mile track it held together at 7200 rpm and won the race with it talking about stressing factory parts that pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I don't lie I Do not have to lie I have had a stroke and a shoulder replacement that the doctor had to sign off on in order to get a disability check every month.an by the way that money is our money Moron that you and I paid in while we were working so get your facts write before you quote what some one else tells you I heard the is and they are the doctors will not sign off on you to receive disability unless you are disabled. some people say I saw oh so and so over there working or what ever and do not have a clue what might be wrong with person so get facts before you tell people that especially someone that is disabled. I it was easy to get disability then everyone would be on it. I'm 56 years old now so I have paid my dues in the military also but what do you care you are only looking for trouble bottom end bearings KopfschuettelI can't wait to here from you your so kind and good to email to bottom end bearings Icon_mad

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 23rd 2010, 11:22 pm

I LIKE.........BIG......... BUTTS ........... bounce
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 24th 2010, 7:37 am

What kind of Cheese would you like with that Wine?
Fumunda? fum unda my left nut?

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne rhodes July 24th 2010, 9:11 am

Code:
the Coug wrote:What kind of Cheese would you like with that Wine?

Randy
Randy are you trying to go to heaven do you believe in God?. you sound like a spoiled little boy that has to have his way about everything. can you hear yourself when you are typing bottom end bearings Icon_mad

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 24th 2010, 10:16 am

wayne rhodes wrote:
Code:

Randy
Randy are you trying to go to heaven do you believe in God?. you sound like a spoiled little boy that has to have his way about everything. can you hear yourself when you are typing bottom end bearings Icon_mad

no you just seem dumber than a box of rocks, or so tight you squeak when you walk.... Rolling Eyes

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 24th 2010, 10:31 am

Wayne, you are bringing all of this love on yourself. There are lots of good guys here, but you can't always take stuff too literal. Spoiled brats or whiney little rich kids aren't what hang around here, just a bunch of good ole boys. Name dropping gets you no where around here, we don't care if you are freinds with some pro athlete, or a cam grinders kid. You get graded on the quality of the info you provide, or questions you ask and how you utilize the info given. I am truly sorry that you are disabled and the Lord blesses us all in diffferent ways, so lose the attitude and thank the Lord that you are able to enjoy a hobby and have fun. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 24th 2010, 10:36 am

schmitty wrote:Wayne, you are bringing all of this love on yourself. There are lots of good guys here, but you can't always take stuff too literal. Spoiled brats or whiney little rich kids aren't what hang around here, just a bunch of good ole boys. Name dropping gets you no where around here, we don't care if you are freinds with some pro athlete, or a cam grinders kid. You get graded on the quality of the info you provide, or questions you ask and how you utilize the info given. I am truly sorry that you are disabled and the Lord blesses us all in diffferent ways, so lose the attitude and thank the Lord that you are able to enjoy a hobby and have fun. Cool

very well said sir ........ Wayne please take this for what is and listen to the above post..

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 24th 2010, 10:38 am

schmitty wrote:Wayne, you are bringing all of this love on yourself. There are lots of good guys here, but you can't always take stuff too literal. Spoiled brats or whiney little rich kids aren't what hang around here, just a bunch of good ole boys. Name dropping gets you no where around here, we don't care if you are freinds with some pro athlete, or a cam grinders kid. You get graded on the quality of the info you provide, or questions you ask and how you utilize the info given. I am truly sorry that you are disabled and the Lord blesses us all in diffferent ways, so lose the attitude and thank the Lord that you are able to enjoy a hobby and have fun. Cool

and most disabled people do not go around bragging about it, they try and not let people know cuz they want to be treated just like any other person.... you want respect,,,,you earn it.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  wayne rhodes July 24th 2010, 10:40 am

bruno wrote:

very well said sir ........ Wayne please take this for what is and listen to the above post..
Now I like that Bruno like you said lets talk about helping each other out with our cars and have fu doing it God Bless you bottom end bearings Icon_biggrin

wayne rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty July 24th 2010, 10:47 am

the Coug wrote:.... you want respect,,,,you earn it.....

Randy
You hit the nail on the head there Coug. Wink
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 24th 2010, 4:02 pm

wayne rhodes wrote:bottom end bearings Icon_lol bottom end bearings Icon_lol bottom end bearings Icon_lol
69F100 wrote: study study study
If you can not look at the bearings to see if a copper lining is showing through the half shell then yo are OK. with bearings here it is in a nut shell it is better to use the factory bearing's as it would be to only throw in a new set of bearings. and not check for clearance the whole thing is about clearances.bearings tell a story about where the stress area's where in the bearing babbitt. again to much clearance will cause the oil pressure to drop and destroy the engine when I put together lets say a 460 Ford and I'm gonna spin the thing up some rpm's not 8000+ rpm but up to 6500 is the norm for mild street motor again its all about clearances in order to run more clearance for the intended rpm will need a high volume oil pump not I repeat not a high pressure oil pump. I set my engine clearances to run the motor wide open and on a cold motor. if you do run a cold motor with standard clearances or God forbid just throwing the bearings in there the engine will not oil properly and blow up. and the only time you would need to run a high pressure high volume pump would be with 8000+ rpms then you need to take oil and pump it from the pressure near the oil pump to the rear of the block among other things that takes to long to write WR

Wayne I am a god fearing man and a Deacon so with that said if you are going to build something to race don't cheap out on bearing. I don't care if the copper is not showing if you going to race and you build a set of heads and change cams and put more pressure on the piston you are asking for problems.So I would say put new bearings in and one of the most things people don't change the cam bearing old cam bearings will make the oil pressure be lower .Most of us on here are not after running a junk yard motor,We just go to find a good block and start from there I say again most of us on here.So telling someone to use there old bearing I couldn't sleep at night if I heard they spun a bearing because I made a statement that it was OK to use there old bearings.I used some used stuff on my engine not saying you have to buy everything new,just bearings and oil pump/oil pump pickup.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 24th 2010, 4:22 pm

wayne rhodes wrote:
Code:

Randy

Wayne this is not how you get in heaven eather sound like you are trying start trouble study your bible they are a correct way to say things you should have said something like I am sorry you feel that way this is just my thoughts on this deal.Not Randy are you trying to go to heaven do you believe in God?. you sound like a spoiled little boy that has to have his way about everything. can you hear yourself when you are typing ( would GOD talk to you like that) no he would not you are supposed to treat your bother as you want to be treated. God Bless You

Sorry Nick and Jones I know I am not supposed to be posting stuff like this so if you dalete it I understand and no hard feeling just had to speak my peace on that subject.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down