BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing FOR NOS and MOTOR???

4 posters

Go down

Timing FOR NOS and MOTOR??? Empty Timing FOR NOS and MOTOR???

Post  1Bad91 July 25th 2010, 11:47 am

Ok, I'm a little confused with what these bbf motors like now.....timing wise. I have a 504 BBF with ported C9 heads, dished pistons, heads are around 71 CC, compreesion is 9:8:1. I run my timing around 34 but the car does like to get warm. I'm thinking the motor may like less timing. ALso, i have a SS plate set-up for spray. How much ROUGHLY should i be looking to take out the motor for spray. Friend tells me since it's low comp, that I shouldnt need to take out much. Please chime in and give your thoughts. Thanks

PS- My show will air this thursday at 8pm on speed channel!! Guys and gals check it out!!
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Timing FOR NOS and MOTOR??? Empty Re: Timing FOR NOS and MOTOR???

Post  bruno July 25th 2010, 3:54 pm

every combo is going to like something different ... my plate setup is as follows ... 73n 63f @ 5.5lbs fuel and 26* my base timing on motor is 32*

at the bash it ran a best of 5.95 @ 118on motor and a 5.61 @ 127 on that tune but i was starting the timing a 22* on the plate

always look at the plugs ..they are your window to a great tune

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 July 25th 2010, 3:59 pm

I see.....but what kind of compression is your motor?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno July 25th 2010, 4:01 pm

13.5 -1 , edelbrock rpm heads

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 July 25th 2010, 4:02 pm

My motor is much differ from yours. Any experience with something like my set-up?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 25th 2010, 9:15 pm

My motor is a stock bottom end 460 w/ Doves and ive sprayed as much as 110 squared at it. my base timing is 34 and when Im loading it hard in average air I pull 14 for a total of 20, every tuneup is different, and of course I pull less w/ milder tunes at the bash I was going low 6s on motor at 34 and went 5.71 w/ a 73 squared at 25 degrees, and as Nick has said, unless you have a log book full of info and tuneups the plugs will tell you where you are. when your just familiarizing yourself w/ spray bring lots of plugs, and patience. Youll get there soon enough.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions July 26th 2010, 9:26 am

1Bad91 wrote:Ok, I'm a little confused with what these bbf motors like now.....timing wise. I have a 504 BBF with ported C9 heads, dished pistons, heads are around 71 CC, compreesion is 9:8:1. I run my timing around 34 but the car does like to get warm. I'm thinking the motor may like less timing. ALso, i have a SS plate set-up for spray. How much ROUGHLY should i be looking to take out the motor for spray. Friend tells me since it's low comp, that I shouldnt need to take out much. Please chime in and give your thoughts. Thanks

PS- My show will air this thursday at 8pm on speed channel!! Guys and gals check it out!!

It's really tough to just put a set number on this. Other things like the cam, fuel octane, plug heat range, exhaust and so on can play a part in what it will want.. If in doubt, start with a small tune and slowly move the timing around and watch the MPH and plugs and it will tell you what it wants.. From there just work slowly doing the same with each tune and you'll be OK.. Thanks, SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Induction-Solutions July 26th 2010, 9:28 am

Barney wrote:My motor is a stock bottom end 460 w/ Doves and ive sprayed as much as 110 squared at it. my base timing is 34 and when Im loading it hard in average air I pull 14 for a total of 20, every tuneup is different, and of course I pull less w/ milder tunes at the bash I was going low 6s on motor at 34 and went 5.71 w/ a 73 squared at 25 degrees, and as Nick has said, unless you have a log book full of info and tuneups the plugs will tell you where you are. when your just familiarizing yourself w/ spray bring lots of plugs, and patience. Youll get there soon enough.

Also remember guys, that in many cases where your running a rich tune like when a plates squre jetted, you can get away with a little more timing.. When you lean them down and get a good N/F ratio, it will require less timing as well.. Thanks, SJ

Brooksville, Fl. 34604
Shop 352-593-5900
Cell 815-341-8853
www.InductionSolutions.com
Induction-Solutions
Induction-Solutions
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

http://www.InductionSolutions.com

Back to top Go down

Post  1Bad91 July 26th 2010, 2:30 pm

Thanks guys for your inputs here. I guess the question is now, How do I learn to read the plugs to a TEE? I understand the basics of reading plugs, but reading the whole plug can get a little tough especially when nobody has ever taught you. Any thoughts?
1Bad91
1Bad91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down