BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

plug wire question

+9
cool40
69F100
richter69
bb429power
billandlori
342g
bbf-falcon
AZFairlane
frank13
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

plug wire question Empty plug wire question

Post  frank13 July 28th 2010, 6:20 pm

ok this may be a really dumb question but here goes...

why arent plug wires all the same legnth....i mean if they are different sizes would it in theory take longer for the spark to travel to farther away plugs vs the close plugs to the distrib.....

we go through the trouble of making headers equal length why arent plug wires equal length
frank13
frank13

http://www.frankskinkracing.com

Back to top Go down

plug wire question Empty Re: plug wire question

Post  AZFairlane July 28th 2010, 7:01 pm

Electricity moves a little faster than exhaust gases. If you were to get a very sensitive ohm meter, I don't think you would be able to read the difference in the plug wires. There is only a few inches difference. If you do measure a difference, then you most likely have a bad wire. The difference in time per inch of wire is .000000000084 of one second. Not really much to concern yourself with.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 28th 2010, 8:03 pm

Rick Gorski was a interesting guy to listen about wires. He was testing Harolds wires and he said ONE of his wires had more ohms than 4 sets of his firecore 50's. And he also said that THAT cylinder that THAT wire was on was probably running FAT Shocked

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  342g July 28th 2010, 8:33 pm

That must be what's wrong with me, too many ohms, cause I'm definately running "FAT" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori July 28th 2010, 8:44 pm

342g wrote:That must be what's wrong with me, too many ohms, cause I'm definately running "FAT" Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Only if they are chocolate covered ohms. The salted ones are OK. Laughing

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  342g July 28th 2010, 8:57 pm

Wait a second, I can't run, too many fat ohms. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 28th 2010, 9:26 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:Rick Gorski was a interesting guy to listen about wires. He was testing Harolds wires and he said ONE of his wires had more ohms than 4 sets of his firecore 50's. And he also said that THAT cylinder that THAT wire was on was probably running FAT Shocked
So are the wires they were selling at Norwalk good? I thought they were selling firecore50's there? confused
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 28th 2010, 9:59 pm

I understand the whole one wire is better than the other, hell I have a set of the Moroso Race wires myself...............but show me some proof on a dyno or datalogger equiped racecar where a high dollar wireset is making more power than say a 50 set like Ford racing sells............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 28th 2010, 10:31 pm

We had a spark plug wire plant down here Prestalite they closed last year I think. Rick went and help a buddy clean out the plant and he got big box of wires.The wires he got was Accel,and Mallery wires they made all different brands one other I can remember is Autolite can't remember all the brands.I had a friend that worked for them he told me that the wire part(exp.7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.8 wire) is made the same for all different brands when the wire came out of the machine it was put on a roll then carried to a machine that put the label on them would put different names on the same wire.They are few different plug wire makers,but a bunch of different company names.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 28th 2010, 10:40 pm

69F100 wrote:We had a spark plug wire plant down here Prestalite they closed last year I think. Rick went and help a buddy clean out the plant and he got big box of wires.The wires he got was Accel,and Mallery wires they made all different brands one other I can remember is Autolite can't remember all the brands.I had a friend that worked for them he told me that the wire part(exp.7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 8.8 wire) is made the same for all different brands when the wire came out of the machine it was put on a roll then carried to a machine that put the label on them would put different names on the same wire.They are few different plug wire makers,but a bunch of different company names.
kinda like cam's and lifter's. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 28th 2010, 10:46 pm

I'm not dissin' a guys product.............but if a guys ignition box, coil, dizzy etc etc is all up to par a good 8mm or equivalent wire should be just as good.

Now if the box is not big enough for the job a trick wire might look like a "HeRo"................... Laughing
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 28th 2010, 11:41 pm

richter69 wrote:I'm not dissin' a guys product.............but if a guys ignition box, coil, dizzy etc etc is all up to par a good 8mm or equivalent wire should be just as good.

Now if the box is not big enough for the job a trick wire might look like a "HeRo"................... Laughing
sounds like a new product line! HeRo FiRe WiRe Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

plug wire question Empty FireCore50 Wires

Post  elimn8u July 29th 2010, 9:13 am

Well, we switched over to the FireCore50 wires at the beginning of last season and the car not only ran quicker and faster at the track it's consistency and ease of firing up has never been better. We've run the Ford Motorsport wires and the Msd wires and never had any bad results with either sets but the results with the FireCore's have been just that much better...we added them to our line of products that we sell because we were so impressed with them. Rick had a blown-alky setup that was only getting a handful of passes out of a comepititors wires (coilwire in particular) and since switching to the FireCore's has not had any performance losses diue to the wires....so I would have to say that No, not all wires are created equal.
The technical info is on www.firecore50.com www.customwiresets.com
We do stock a few sets...mainly the Ford stuff but some Mopar/Chevy as well.
Gene

Last edited by elimn8u on July 29th 2010, 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added info)
elimn8u
elimn8u

http://www.elimn8u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 29th 2010, 9:28 am

I would like to see dyno pulls of an engine with a good set of wires and then the exact same engine with your wires no other changes... then you have a comparison...

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams July 29th 2010, 9:41 am

342g wrote:Wait a second, I can't run, too many fat ohms. Laughing

Don't run, drive!!!
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  elimn8u July 29th 2010, 9:43 am

I don't have access to a dyno so have to substitute comparing timeslips and 20 years of running this car for my results...Rick does have some dyno numbers on his websites and actively invites people to send in their dyno sheets.
Gene
elimn8u
elimn8u

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 29th 2010, 9:45 am

the Coug wrote:I would like to see dyno pulls of an engine with a good set of wires and then the exact same engine with your wires no other changes... then you have a comparison...

Randy
I've got Ford Motorsports 9mm wires, found out they aren't so good. I might dyno my engine but regardless I'm keeping the wires I have for the moment. If you guys want to give me a set of firecore50's I'll see what I can do. Laughing I agree, I would like to see dyno results.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 29th 2010, 10:05 am

elimn8u wrote:I don't have access to a dyno so have to substitute comparing timeslips and 20 years of running this car for my results...Rick does have some dyno numbers on his websites and actively invites people to send in their dyno sheets.
Gene

yeah he has a dyno run , but no comparison runs from one wire to another....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power July 29th 2010, 10:07 am

the Coug wrote:
elimn8u wrote:I don't have access to a dyno so have to substitute comparing timeslips and 20 years of running this car for my results...Rick does have some dyno numbers on his websites and actively invites people to send in their dyno sheets.
Gene

yeah he has a dyno run , but no comparison runs from one wire to another....

Randy
I saw that too, makes the results he did put on there worthless.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 29th 2010, 11:56 am

Rick was putting my wire ends on and he was showing me how critical it was to do it the right way. He showed and proved to me on a ohm meter the difference between a good, and a not so good connection.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  elimn8u July 29th 2010, 12:04 pm

No comparisons?
Take another look...

http://www.firecore50.com/dyno.htm

elimn8u
elimn8u

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 29th 2010, 12:13 pm

Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 29th 2010, 12:29 pm

still not proof from the engine #'s you ran with the fire wires run it and change wires and be 10 to 20* hotter the cooler engine will make more hp by almost 10 hp.... so take away the heat and you run the same hp with both wires.... been there done that trust me 48 pulls on my engine we tried a number of things and temp affected it most when cooled off.... made more hp when cooled...... Arrow

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  342g July 29th 2010, 1:17 pm

Bottom line, don't buy the damn things, if you don't believe what is posted, everything doesn't have to meet everyones standards. Twisted Evil
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 29th 2010, 1:24 pm

Not trying to be a dick...............but tell you what, have them send me a set and I'll make a-b-a-b runs to verify the claims............my stuff I have now is not subpar so it should be a good test.

If they make it faster I'll buy them, if not send me a check for the entry fee and fuel I use.......... Laughing I'm not running a blown alcohol motor with a mag.............just an everyday I work hard for my money but don't mind spending it on good parts Joe.............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next