BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help With Trailer Brakes

4 posters

Go down

Need Help With Trailer Brakes Empty Need Help With Trailer Brakes

Post  512Fairlane August 8th 2010, 6:28 pm

I have a Tekonsha Primus brake controller and two wheel dexter electric brakes. When I apply them manually with the hand switch the controller supplies a voltage to the plug and the trailer brakes work. When I step on the brakes there is 0.0 voltage on the readout and no voltage to the plug and the brakes don't work. Last year I had a magnet go bad and I thought it was doing this same thing but I thought I found one of the magnets to have an open circuit. I replaced both magnets last year and they worked fine until last weekend. I have continuity through each magnet and about 3400 ohms resistance. Do I have a bad controller or is there something else I should look for? I cut the wires between the plug to the magnets and checked each wire of both magnets to ground and I don't have a short to ground. Any ideas?
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Need Help With Trailer Brakes Empty Re: Need Help With Trailer Brakes

Post  AZFairlane August 8th 2010, 8:25 pm

You didn't mention if you were moving or not, but seeing that you're trying to read the voltage at the plug, I would say you're not. Those controllers work on inertia and unless the unit senses a deceleration it won't supply voltage to the brakes.
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Need Help With Trailer Brakes Empty Figured it out.

Post  512Fairlane August 8th 2010, 9:36 pm

A couple of weeks ago my two year old was playing in the truck while I was unloading it. She must have played with all of the settings on the controller. When you are parked on a hill and the slide knob is all the way forward it puts out 0 volts. What a waste of an entire afternoon. Its a good thing she's cute.
512Fairlane
512Fairlane

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 8th 2010, 9:45 pm

if your controller works the brakes manual it not the trailer brakes or magnets.check and make sure your brake lights is working could have blown a fuse.One of the trucks at work controller would not work come to find out it was the brake light fuse.The brake light activates the controller on our trucks.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power August 8th 2010, 10:52 pm

I have the same one, I haven't checked it while the wheel was off to see if the brakes worked. But just moving it in the driveway you could easily hear the brakes working.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down