BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cam install rant

+5
Harold Paratestes
longroofracer
richter69
56Tbird
westsideford
9 posters

Go down

Cam install rant Empty Cam install rant

Post  westsideford Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 22:28

Hey all.. When my cam had the pin shear it also had some wear on the cam retainer. So I got a good use retainer from our shop. I installed the old school cam I had, but because of valve to piston clearance it didn't work. So I ordered the same cam that was in the car.

Here is the kicker.. While removing the old school cam the retainer had a broken ear. How could this happen.. Is there something I did?

I’m gonna have to go to Louisiana and get some sort of Magic Spell or something.. This breaking crap got to end!

Now I got to wait another day.. gerrr I'll get this thing back together yet.. My plans were to break-in the cam Saturday while the neighbors are out mowing the lawn.. Lol Sheesh affraid

Last edited by westsideford on Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 22:29; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info)
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Cam install rant Empty Re: Cam install rant

Post  56Tbird Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 23:13

Minor set backs man ...it can always be worse Rolling Eyes have another beer and imagine something nice happening...just pray to the race Gods Very Happy
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 23:14

get one of them nice bronze plates............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 23:23

Is it possible that when your converter failed, the crank got shoved forward, and it turn, the chain pulled forward on the cam, breaking the ear? How did the thrust bearing look?
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Harold Paratestes Tue 25 Aug 2009 - 23:55

Maybe you should buy a chilton's manual and figure out the assembly sequence.

Build a cam plate test stand and make sure it'll work.

make a video of it.

repeat as necessary.

Harry

Harold Paratestes

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 0:02

longroofracer wrote:Is it possible that when your converter failed, the crank got shoved forward, and it turn, the chain pulled forward on the cam, breaking the ear? How did the thrust bearing look?

I do not see how that could happen. There is enough "slop" in the system (timing set) to absorb the small amount the crank would move forward.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 0:34

It was just a thought, that is why I ask if it was possible.

At least it was meant to be more helpful than Greg.

Harold Paratestes wrote:Maybe you should buy a chilton's manual and figure out the assembly sequence.

make a video of it.

repeat as necessary.

Harry
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 0:41

Sounds like something is preventing the plate from sitting flat.

Any dirt under it? Any crap in the back of the cam bore between the bore plug and the cam? Was the retainer cracked already? Bit of a noodle scratcher scratch

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 1:19

billandlori wrote:Sounds like something is preventing the plate from sitting flat.

Any dirt under it? Any crap in the back of the cam bore between the bore plug and the cam? Was the retainer cracked already? Bit of a noodle scratcher scratch

Bill

No dirt was pretty carefull. The cam bearing is slighly recessed so no worries there. Just weird is all..

Thanks!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 1:29

56Tbird wrote:Minor set backs man ...it can always be worse Rolling Eyes have another beer and imagine something nice happening...just pray to the race Gods Very Happy

Thanks Bud.. Funny how the engine runs for a year and a half and just before "Pinks" stuff is failing left and right. Totally crazy.

I've done everything I can, sent videos, made a NAPA Commercial, e-mails in hopes to get the BBF Stang on the show.. It's been a long year. I registered in Novemember of 2008.

Hope I can make you guys Proud! Thanks for your support!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 1:31

Harold Paratestes wrote:Maybe you should buy a chilton's manual and figure out the assembly sequence.

make a video of it.

repeat as necessary.

Harry

Thank You for your support.. It means a bunch!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 1:35

richter69 wrote:get one of them nice bronze plates............

I want one of dem Rooolllerrr bearing deals but right now I'm flat on my azz $$$

Ya Rock Jon and I hear ya!

Last edited by westsideford on Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 1:37; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo sorry!)
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 8:32

westsideford wrote:
56Tbird wrote:Minor set backs man ...it can always be worse Rolling Eyes have another beer and imagine something nice happening...just pray to the race Gods Very Happy

Thanks Bud.. Funny how the engine runs for a year and a half and just before "Pinks" stuff is failing left and right. Totally crazy.

I've done everything I can, sent videos, made a NAPA Commercial, e-mails in hopes to get the BBF Stang on the show.. It's been a long year. I registered in Novemember of 2008.

All you can do is say Shit happens, slow down and do it right, so you not replacing more stuff later
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 Wed 26 Aug 2009 - 16:30

Old blue Racin Team wrote:
westsideford wrote:

All you can do is say Shit happens, slow down and do it right, so you not replacing more stuff later

X2 on that I keep having to tell myself that just don't want you to get to the starting line and brake something that wouldn't look good on the ford guys the chevy guys would probley like it but not us ford guys I hate seeing anybody brake don't matter what the brand is
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down