BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Turning down the crank and other info needed please

4 posters

Go down

Turning down the crank and other info needed please Empty Turning down the crank and other info needed please

Post  torkair August 17th 2010, 1:59 am

Well my buddy has decided to do a 400 build with a 500 hp goal which means I get a 460 short block builder Smile. Now I have 2 blocks to work with, one internally balanced and one externally balanced. From what I've been told by folks here the externally balanced motor should have the beefier main webs and smaller counter weights on the crank which should help with reducing reciprocating mass. What I would like to do is get some 2.20 journal rods and have the crank offset ground to both accommodate the the rods as well as get some extra cubes, from there it's a matter of getting some light weight forged pistons and picking out a good cam. The cam leads me to my next part and that is what is the max lift that a set of d0ve-C heads can realistically handle or use for that matter. I know a few people will say get the aluminum SCJ heads but I already have the d0ve heads and would like to see how far i can go with them on my combo. I am going to build for a 12.5 cr with the intent of feeding this motor either E85 or mixing in straight alcohol. Help picking which rods to run in this thing as well as more info on the d0ves would be great!

Ps: Car is a 72 Gran Torino formal roof and will be backing the motor with an M-800 5speed, 9" with 3.50 gears; 31 spline axles; and detroit locker with a 1/4 mile goal of roughly 11.5 seconds as well as possibly going road racing.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Turning down the crank and other info needed please Empty Re: Turning down the crank and other info needed please

Post  dfree383 August 17th 2010, 6:05 am

If your buying rods and pistons anyway, consider just getting a 4.500 cast stroker assembly. Not much more $$$ but an extra 50"s.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Turning down the crank and other info needed please Empty Re: Turning down the crank and other info needed please

Post  BOSS 429 August 17th 2010, 9:27 am

X2
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 17th 2010, 10:29 am

yes get a scat kit and can have them balance it (also check with forum members on kits) more likely cost less than a parts fro here & there. better check the info you got on the blocks

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  torkair August 17th 2010, 11:12 am

I've gotta go over to my buddy's garage to pick up some odds and ends later today so I'll get some casting numbers while I'm there, should help with deciding which once to build on first.
torkair
torkair

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down