BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switching from dry sump to wet sump.....

+3
DanH
Lem Evans
DILLIGASDAVE
7 posters

Go down

Switching from dry sump to wet sump..... Empty Switching from dry sump to wet sump.....

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 22nd 2010, 6:03 am

I have noticed some of the local nitrous outlaw Pro Mod guys are on a weight reduction kick trying to find any way of hoping to keep up with the blower cars. One way some guys are loosing some weight is dumping their dry sump setups in favor of a wet sump & a smaller external pump. They claim the small HP gain from the dry sump isn't worth the extra weight (40 to 80 lbs is the range I hear) of the dry setup.

I had pretty much always assumed that a 700+ inch nitrous engine "needed" a dry sump setup (reliable oiling) , but I guess not.

Anyone else seeing this change? Or is this just something going on locally here?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Switching from dry sump to wet sump..... Empty Re: Switching from dry sump to wet sump.....

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2010, 11:22 am

I.M.O. they'd need to add a vacuum pump also.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Switching from dry sump to wet sump..... Empty Re: Switching from dry sump to wet sump.....

Post  DanH August 22nd 2010, 5:00 pm

only time I feel there is a need for a dry sump is oval track racing .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2010, 6:12 pm

DanH wrote:only time I feel there is a need for a dry sump is oval track racing .
The prostockers seem to have drysump oiling systems. You think they use them because they have no value?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 22nd 2010, 6:54 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
DanH wrote:only time I feel there is a need for a dry sump is oval track racing .
The prostockers seem to have drysump oiling systems. You think they use them because they have no value?
I did use the word NEED . Pro Stocks , when 10 HP gain cost thousands of dollars, they have a need . they race pounds per cubes . all other non class cars can get by without it . like the original post said , lose of weight seems more important to some owners

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 22nd 2010, 7:43 pm

Sounds what they 'need' is a blower Laughing

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 22nd 2010, 9:46 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Sounds what they 'need' is a blower Laughing
good hit of NOS!it's worked for them before. Laughing
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham August 23rd 2010, 9:03 am

Yep, they need a blower. A bunch of billet blowers..... cheers I'll keep my drysump.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt August 23rd 2010, 10:04 pm

Yeah, I dont see any down side to primo oil control. If you're gonna spend a fortune on a top notch motor, you need a top notch oiling system. farao
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 August 24th 2010, 2:22 pm

Lem Evans wrote:

theres a lot to be said about a dry sump, and one is it will make more then 10hp,other is we run some of our bb engines above 9500 rpm,most @8000 some are at that or above for 30 plus sec 's in the cars its safer, makes more power

prostock has no choice, theres no room for a oil pan that would hold 12 plus q's of oil,when they started using them it was for power gains,now its a given
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down