BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build

+3
342g
BigDave65
Michael M
7 posters

Go down

Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build Empty Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build

Post  Michael M September 5th 2010, 10:09 pm

I just fired up my 557 Boss9. Primed showed 45lbs. Started engine and indicated 50-60lbs then started dropping rapidly, shut off at 25lbs.

Dipstick showed little oil in pan. Plenty up top when drained the head. Added two more qts and started up with similar results. Seems to be sucking pan dry.
and slowly, really really slowly returning to pan.

What might I have forgotten? What/where to look?

A460 block.Cometic head gaskets.Kaase oil pump front sump.Canton T pan. Note I had to trim the inside baffles of the oil pan to fit the Kaase pump.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Michael.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build Empty Re: Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build

Post  BigDave65 September 5th 2010, 10:11 pm

If you are using roller lifters are they turned the right direction? Tie bar toward middle of block.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build Empty Re: Help! losing oil pressure. Boss9 build

Post  Michael M September 5th 2010, 10:20 pm

Yes. Crower Z-bar. Pretty sure they are in correctly.

Of course I'm looking and hoping for a simple and easy solution.

Michael.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Post  342g September 5th 2010, 10:22 pm

You get the block plugs in the right place?
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill September 5th 2010, 11:23 pm

So sincce the oil pressure was in range to begin with and fell as the oil was pumped to the top of the motor, then drain back seems like an obvious starting point. The second is how much oil cpacity does the pan and the whole system have to begin with? One of the articles on the new parts quoted Kaase as saying that the heads could accumulate about a quart of oil each and to be aware of that when pulling the valve cover as you'd get a bath.

Could it be as simple as low oil volume in the pan once the engine has run a while? That story made me wonder if external return lines would be in order but not having even seen these parts let alone run them I just don't know. IIRC not even the A460 block is provisoned for original Boss 429 oil return holes and the Kaase revsion although designed to run on standard blocks has that top end oil retention issue

I'm sure there are 30 people on this board who know this new stuff cold.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 5th 2010, 11:34 pm

oil return's in the heads?is the top end over oiling?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 6th 2010, 7:47 am

They will only hold about 1/3-1/2 quart on each side in the heads.

Have you cheched the drain back hole alignment?? In the gaskets?

Correct restrictors installed in the block galleys?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael M September 6th 2010, 11:36 am

Thanks guys. I'm confident the basic assembly is correct and the issue is returning the oil to the pan in a timely manner. As I have little (no) experience with the Boss9 I've been wondering
what I may have overlooked or been unaware of.

The oil pan is a Canton front sump (#15-764) holds 7qts. after the first shutdown added two more qts and same results. Also drained about 1/3 of a qt (perhaps a little more) from the head.

Will be checking the head gaskets for proper alignment.

Dfree. What are the correct restictors you speak of? I had this short block together with A429cj heads (mech.roller) for a numder of years and just reassembled the short block for the boss heads.

Are they unique to the Boss? A refresh of my memory is in order.

Michael.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 6th 2010, 10:05 pm

Michael M wrote:I just fired up my 557 Boss9. Primed showed 45lbs. Started engine and indicated 50-60lbs then started dropping rapidly, shut off at 25lbs.

Dipstick showed little oil in pan. Plenty up top when drained the head. Added two more qts and started up with similar results. Seems to be sucking pan dry.
and slowly, really really slowly returning to pan.

What might I have forgotten? What/where to look?

A460 block.Cometic head gaskets.Kaase oil pump front sump.Canton T pan. Note I had to trim the inside baffles of the oil pan to fit the Kaase pump.

Any and all help would greatly be appreciated.

Michael.

----------------------
what block are you using? how are oiling the rockers? and what rockers?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 6th 2010, 10:14 pm

Michael M wrote:Thanks guys. I'm confident the basic assembly is correct and the issue is returning the oil to the pan in a timely manner. As I have little (no) experience with the Boss9 I've been wondering
what I may have overlooked or been unaware of.

The oil pan is a Canton front sump (#15-764) holds 7qts. after the first shutdown added two more qts and same results. Also drained about 1/3 of a qt (perhaps a little more) from the head.

Will be checking the head gaskets for proper alignment.

Dfree. What are the correct restictors you speak of? I had this short block together with A429cj heads (mech.roller) for a numder of years and just reassembled the short block for the boss heads.

Are they unique to the Boss? A refresh of my memory is in order.

Michael.

their are restrictors in the oil galleys, but if you ran the block before and haven't removed the that's probably not the problem provided the where reinstalled when you went thru everything.

I'd look at the drain back holes / head gasket allignment and correct installation of the lifters.

I haven't had any issues with mine as far as drain back or excessive filling of the valve covers other than the 1/3-1/2 qt that stays reguardless. I'm running an a460 block with comp cams zbar lifters and I'm running regular ford racing felpro head gaskets for a 460.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 6th 2010, 11:55 pm

i dont know s$%# about boss heads but i thought they have an extra deal for oiling the rockers? like from the little dick sticken up in the lifter valley?maybe i dreamed it Laughing i do know if he has crower lifters,like mine anyway,the holes are on the sides so they could go either way. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 7th 2010, 4:41 am

Other thing to check is for cracked pump /pick-up.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael M September 7th 2010, 6:33 pm

Once again thanks for the help guys and to Mr.Kaase who called me early yesterday morning. Whatever the problem it's going to require pulling the engine and a tear down.

I will be out of town for a couple of weeks but I'll be sure to post whatever it is I find.

Michael.

Michael M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down