BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

daily driven big block

+4
69F100
billandlori
bb429power
dysfunction8
8 posters

Go down

daily driven big block Empty daily driven big block

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 3:54 am

How many of you daily drive (or nearly daily drive) your big block cars? Eventually when I build my own, I was planning on daily driving my own, and wanted to get some others perspectives on it.

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

daily driven big block Empty Re: daily driven big block

Post  bb429power November 28th 2010, 8:43 am

The one your building up? It'll be slurping that gas like a pothead got the munchies. Laughing How much driving do you do on a daily basis though? And what car is it in?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 3:35 pm

to and from work equals about 22 miles a day, with the potential for some sitting in traffic on occasion. It will be going into a 1987 Mustang GT....and i haven't begun a build yet, but I was hoping to start this year (hopefully springtime)

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 28th 2010, 4:21 pm

dysfunction8 wrote:to and from work equals about 22 miles a day, with the potential for some sitting in traffic on occasion. It will be going into a 1987 Mustang GT....and i haven't begun a build yet, but I was hoping to start this year (hopefully springtime)

I ran a stock 460 in a Fairmont and a 85 Mustang as a daily driver. MPG wasn't too bad, sure was fun!! Nothing like wompin on the BBF after a long day at work!! Puts a smile on your face. Your not driving real far each day,
should work out fine.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 4:37 pm

Now when I build this BBF, it will obviously be carb'd. I've never owned a carb'd car before, and have no experience with them. Do you think it would be worth it to go ahead and do a carb swap on my 302 so I can get some hand's on experience with tuning with a carb?

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 28th 2010, 4:50 pm

dysfunction8 wrote:Now when I build this BBF, it will obviously be carb'd. I've never owned a carb'd car before, and have no experience with them. Do you think it would be worth it to go ahead and do a carb swap on my 302 so I can get some hand's on experience with tuning with a carb?

You must be young if you have never had a carbed engine affraid I would say just wait get the bbf built go ahead and buy a new carb and bolt it on and if it don't seem right get a local good named shop to look at it and show you how to tune it.Tuning a carb you will not learn overnight.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty November 28th 2010, 4:51 pm

Get the carb from someone that knows what they are doing and you won't have to mess with it other than a clean up once in a great while. I have an old tractor from the late 40's that has a gas carb on it and have never opened it up in 15yrs. Pretty simple deal. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 5:03 pm

yea, I'm only 25 years old. This mustang is the oldest car I've owned, lol. Thanks for the advice guys. The only reason I was thinking about swapping to a carb now was so that when I do get this engine built, if it gives me any issues with it's initial start up, I will know enough to be able to rule the carb out. I've never had a brand new motor before either, lol. it's gonna be a whole new world for me

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori November 28th 2010, 5:11 pm

dysfunction8 wrote:yea, I'm only 25 years old. This mustang is the oldest car I've owned, lol. Thanks for the advice guys. The only reason I was thinking about swapping to a carb now was so that when I do get this engine built, if it gives me any issues with it's initial start up, I will know enough to be able to rule the carb out. I've never had a brand new motor before either, lol. it's gonna be a whole new world for me

We've all been there once too!! We can help you through it. Where are you located?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 5:43 pm

I'm currently here in lovely southern California, but thankfully, my home of record is Oklahoma, so that's where all my cars are registered. The nice thing about it there, no smog or safety inspections, so I can do whatever I want to the car, provided it doesn't break any noise ordinances.

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick November 28th 2010, 5:52 pm

dysfunction8 wrote:I'm currently here in lovely southern California, but thankfully, my home of record is Oklahoma, so that's where all my cars are registered. The nice thing about it there, no smog or safety inspections, so I can do whatever I want to the car, provided it doesn't break any noise ordinances.

Hopefully, it will. Cool Twisted Evil
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 5:54 pm

I'm almost certain that my current 302 almost does....it's got 1 5/8" shorties to a 2.5" offroad h-pipe to flow 40's dumped

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power November 28th 2010, 6:00 pm

I didn't know if you were driving a looooong way every day in a heavy truck or something. Smile Our maverick with the little 302 sucks gas like no tomorrow for some reason confused little built up street motor in a super light car.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 6:09 pm

it's a full weight, full interior car. I hope to get it weighed this weekend when I take it to Fontana for their street legal drags.

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 28th 2010, 7:31 pm

For a 'driver'...don't get the carb too big and have vac. secondarys and a dual plane manifold.......how big will the engine be ?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 8:46 pm

I was just gonna do a 460. I'm still reading and trying to figure out how I want to build it to make some real nice torque for fun on the street. Luckily, the local pick a part here sell complete motors for $255, and I've been on the look out, and they usually have a 460 or 2 hanging out, so hopefully come tax season, I'm gonna go grab one, and then start looking for someone out here who's built a few big blocks to rebuild the short block

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 28th 2010, 9:33 pm

it's a little $$ but a friend of mine got a "fast" injection system for his torino and he loves it.he dont "daily drive" it but the mpg picked up i'm sure.also said it was very easy to hook up and it's a self learning deal so you dont even adjust anything.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dysfunction8 November 28th 2010, 9:46 pm

I've heard of the FAST system before, but I think I'm still gonna run a carb, just for the sake of learning something new

dysfunction8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down