BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Oil Cooling

5 posters

Go down

Engine Oil Cooling Empty Engine Oil Cooling

Post  BIGDOG466 August 29th 2009, 7:50 am

I want to put this question out for ya'll. In a brackect car I'm looking for a way to keep it consistant in late rounds and if double entering.

Whats tha best way the cool engine oil on a BBF?
Whats the best cooler?
what's the best way to hook it up?
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil Cooling Empty Re: Engine Oil Cooling

Post  maverick August 29th 2009, 1:16 pm

I think you may be splitting hairs here. I've never known anyone who actually needed an engine oil cooler on a drag car. Usually, the coolant temp is the bigger deal, since most drag cars will boil the coolant long before the oil is fully up to temperature. That said, I'd guess that if you manage your coolant temp so that you're always staging at the same engine temp, then your oil temp would most likely be pretty consistant as well. Besides, if I didn't need to lower my oil temp, I wouldn't want to drag all the extra junk down the track with me. It's also one more thing to potentially piss oil on the track. Simpler is better, IMO.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 29th 2009, 1:32 pm

methanol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman August 29th 2009, 5:10 pm

I tried an oil coller on my street cruised bbf. I used one of those B&M stacked plate style coolers and a universal remote filter adapter kit with AN-10 braided lines and fittings. I had it on the car a month and removed it to be placed in my spare parts foot locker. I really didn't notice a change in oil pressure, engine temp or anything. ??? It was a pain to do an oil change and never mind trying to get the old oil out of those lines and the cooler unit. Too much hassel if you ask me for whatever gains on a street/strip machine.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bsherry August 29th 2009, 6:28 pm

I would recommend using a high quality synthetic oil. We use Royal Purple XPR racing oil. Don't think you need a oil cooler in a drag car?

You should have a high quality electric water pump and transmission cooler. Engine coolant and trans fluid temp will affect consistancy more than oil temp IMO.

Bruce
Bsherry
Bsherry
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down