BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks

+7
bigjohn2007
WDR460
bbf-falcon
BigDave65
DILLIGASDAVE
Curt
10SHOTS
11 posters

Go down

HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks Empty HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks

Post  10SHOTS January 5th 2011, 1:47 pm

local track is using lane choice compound ,seems this time of the year the track does not hook very well untill lots of passes has been made. My car is around 750hp, 3146pnds and has a 3 speed auto 4.10 gear and 29x10.5 tire , does anyone know if hosiers will work any better than M/Ts
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks Empty Re: HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks

Post  Curt January 5th 2011, 2:18 pm

Which spark plugs are you using????????????????
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS January 5th 2011, 4:42 pm

Curt wrote:Which spark plugs are you using????????????????
Good ones lol
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt January 5th 2011, 4:48 pm

Okay, I'm sorry. You asked a loaded question. I like both brands, and have never had trouble with either. Of course, I have never ran a tire that narrow though. There are a lot of things that can make a car hook, and most are not all tire related. Suspect
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE January 5th 2011, 10:30 pm

The new VP Lane Choice traction compounds just plain suck IMO, the ancient VHT TrackBite compound that has been around forever is the only way to go.

Texas Raceway in Kennedale tried Lane Choice a while back and it was just terrible, it was inconstant as siht pass to pass. It wouldn't even attempt to pull your shoes off when you walked up-on the starting line like the old traction compound would.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 January 5th 2011, 10:57 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:The new VP Lane Choice traction compounds just plain suck IMO, the ancient VHT TrackBite compound that has been around forever is the only way to go.

Texas Raceway in Kennedale tried Lane Choice a while back and it was just terrible, it was inconstant as siht pass to pass. It wouldn't even attempt to pull your shoes off when you walked up-on the starting line like the old traction compound would.

Dave, we have seen the same thing around here. A new track opened up a couple years ago, the VP people came down and did the inital track prep, and it never did come around. They worked on the track for months. It was decent in the daytime but as soon as it got dark guys were sliding around everywhere. They went to VHT and fixed most of their issues.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 13th 2011, 10:33 pm

Both tire MFG's are good. I have Hoosier's on my car now,but have had good results w/ET's for years.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  WDR460 January 14th 2011, 5:06 am

I had the MT on my Fairlaine , 3750 lbs , around 650hp. Small burnout and 9.5 lbs in them . Our track uses the VP traction compound. Never had an issue.

The guys with hooziers definitely needed a larger burnout. I did do the odd showoff burnout and the Mickey's turn to slippery slush an turn hard most of 1st.

John
WDR460
WDR460

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 20th 2011, 2:16 pm

I had good luck with both but i run hoosier so i want wear out my compressor pumping up tires.
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 20th 2011, 2:32 pm

bigjohn2007 wrote:I had good luck with both but i run hoosier so i want wear out my compressor pumping up tires.

Soap the inside of the tires with dish soap, and they will hold air, use lots of soap.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 20th 2011, 3:19 pm

x2^^^^^^^ Palmolive, "you're soaking in it you know?"HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks Madge_1968
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 20th 2011, 4:40 pm

Curt wrote:x2^^^^^^^ Palmolive, "you're soaking in it you know?"HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks Madge_1968

That's it. cheers Old f'er, I bet you know the Ipana tooth paste jingle. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 20th 2011, 9:26 pm

Brush-a Brush-a Brush-a
Get the new Ipana
With the brand new flavor
It's dandy for your Teeth

Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 20th 2011, 9:50 pm

Curt wrote:
Brush-a Brush-a Brush-a
Get the new Ipana
With the brand new flavor
It's dandy for your Teeth

I can still see tha little beaver, 55years ago. What a Face Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 20th 2011, 10:02 pm

HOSIERS V/S M/T slicks Buckybeaver
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 27th 2011, 2:37 pm

Can you explain what happens to cause the tire not to leak down using soap.I alway thought the sidewall was thinner in M/T and that was the reason.thanks
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 27th 2011, 2:48 pm

Rubber as though it may seem, is not a solid. Our friend Harold might use the terminology as " Its like a really tight knit fishnet stocking". Air molecules are smaller than the holes in the rubber so the air can pass through. Racing slicks are weight conscious, so the side walls are thinner than a regular passenger tire. The liquid soap acts as blocker. Nothing high tech, just something that works if applied correctly. A lot of times, the bead or the valve core is the worse culprit.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 27th 2011, 2:59 pm

Curt wrote:Rubber as though it may seem, is not a solid. Our friend Harold might use the terminology as " Its like a really tight knit fishnet stocking". Air molecules are smaller than the holes in the rubber so the air can pass through. Racing slicks are weight conscious, so the side walls are thinner than a regular passenger tire. The liquid soap acts as blocker. Nothing high tech, just something that works if applied correctly. A lot of times, the bead or the valve core is the worse culprit.
good info
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 27th 2011, 4:00 pm

Curt wrote:Rubber as though it may seem, is not a solid. Our friend Harold might use the terminology as " Its like a really tight knit fishnet stocking". Air molecules are smaller than the holes in the rubber so the air can pass through. Racing slicks are weight conscious, so the side walls are thinner than a regular passenger tire. The liquid soap acts as blocker. Nothing high tech, just something that works if applied correctly. A lot of times, the bead or the valve core is the worse culprit.

That is exactly the way I would have explained it, but if they leak down real quick, let it lay in the sun and dry, then give her another coat, the sun does wonders. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 27th 2011, 5:55 pm

I have had good luck with the soap, the goodyears on the turd have held air for the last 3 years.................the m/t's always did good...............the pheonix tire held good until the first track outing and they will not last a day now.

I just mounted my first set of hoosier slicks friday, still got the same pressure in them today...........no soap. Another interesting thing about the hoosiers is they took zero weight to balance..............thats a first lol.

We'll see how they hook, btw they had the only size I wanted with the medium compound and stiff sidewalls................amd hell yes they are W's............. cheers

with the pheonix they leak through the sidewalls, get um wet and watch the suds come out lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird March 28th 2011, 12:19 am

342g wrote:
bigjohn2007 wrote:I had good luck with both but i run hoosier so i want wear out my compressor pumping up tires.

Soap the inside of the tires with dish soap, and they will hold air, use lots of soap.
That's funny ,I've aired yours up to 20lbs. twice now in 2 weeks!! I never soap my Hoosiers and they're still up..
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  342g March 28th 2011, 12:34 am

56Tbird wrote:
342g wrote:

That's funny ,I've aired yours up to 20lbs. twice now in 2 weeks!! I never soap my Hoosiers and they're still up..

shhhhhhh, them was never soaped, why don't you break them down, and soap them. Laughing
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 28th 2011, 5:22 am

I found that the big Hoosiers were real damn good at holding air over time, & I haven't used any soap in them. Goodyears have been real bad.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 March 28th 2011, 11:30 am

Never had a prolem with the bigger Hoosier's either. Up until recently the M/T's leaked terrible. They say they have resolved this issue. The set my buddy bought last year held air really well. I've been running his take-offs Very Happy
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 28th 2011, 12:47 pm

we just run tubes in our MT's. Helps us from beating the small sidewall to death with our heavy car.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down