BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what do you guys think?

+4
4thHorseman
514Fox87
Barney
paulie
8 posters

Go down

what do you guys think? Empty what do you guys think?

Post  paulie January 13th 2011, 11:19 am

I have been trying to come up with a engine combo to get me into a 10.50 range and I have been looking things over on the boards and trying to use your thoughts to help me come up with a plan.

I have a 1994 Mustang that this will go into that weighed 3200 with the small block in it, and I am guessing it will be around 3400 once I put a cage in it and with a bigblock. I might remove some more weight once I rip out the interior, but we will see on that one.
this is a street car that dosen't get driven much more than the local hangouts and such, but will spend some time on the track. I have been doing some improvements to the cars suspension and right now I have a 3.73 gear and a rollerized well built c-4 for the car.

here are my plans for the engine
521 scat stroker kit with approx 10-10.5 compression
SCJ heads or TFS not sure which one would be better
comp cams solid roller cam XR280R
Duration I 280 E 286
Duration @ .050 I 242 E 248
lift I.657 e .664
intake centerline 106
Victor intake
950hp carb
not sure on 1 7/8" or 2" headers

this will also have the usual stuff like MSD ignition and such

I am open to sugestions and have thought of using the P51 heads out of the box, not sure if that would be too much for my set up. also may change gear to help if needed. but any and all input will be greatfully apreciated before I start ordering parts. thanks guys

paulie

Back to top Go down

what do you guys think? Empty Re: what do you guys think?

Post  Barney January 13th 2011, 12:39 pm

That combo should go mid 10s in 110 degree heat.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 January 13th 2011, 1:47 pm

I'm running high 9's with a flattop 460 A429 heads and flat tappet cam. If u can't run mid tens with that combo something is bad wrong!
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 13th 2011, 2:57 pm

I think your combo is pretty good. I think you may want to go a bit more on the cam in the dur @ .050 as well as a little more overall lift. You may want to loosen up the centerline a tad also. JMO. These changes will be especially better if you do decide to pull the trigger on P-51's, but the TFS Streets or SCJ's aren't far behind at all.

Also consider a custom converter set up to work with your final combo. I have a UCC and strongly recommend.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 14th 2011, 2:28 pm

4thHorseman wrote:I think your combo is pretty good. I think you may want to go a bit more on the cam in the dur @ .050 as well as a little more overall lift. You may want to loosen up the centerline a tad also. JMO. These changes will be especially better if you do decide to pull the trigger on P-51's, but the TFS Streets or SCJ's aren't far behind at all.

Also consider a custom converter set up to work with your final combo. I have a UCC and strongly recommend.
do you think that more duration will hurt the driveability? I was thinking of using these specs with a 110 lobe seperation. I may go with the SCJ heads just cause of the price and funds, but I am not against saving some cash up if you think the P51's will work better. also is there anything that you would change? I am open for opinons from anyone with this.

and as far as the convertor I will look into UCC as I have heard nothing but good about their convertors.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  4thHorseman January 14th 2011, 3:18 pm

I'd aim for the dur @ .050 to be in the 260'ish range minimum for any of those heads you listed. I do not believe drivability will be nixed. You're making better use of the heads, moving the power band up to match where they really shine. The looser centerline will tone down the choppy idle a bit and also widen up the power band - less peaky... better for street driving. It may very well also make a little more hp overall typically with the kind of flow any of those heads support.

I'm not an engine builder mind you, just speaking from knowledge I've gained off here and real world experience. rmcomprandy or Mr Evans are a couple of the site experts when it comes to heads & valvetrain selection.

I currently run a stroker with P-51's and a solid roller cam in the 280 dur @ .050 range. Its no daily driver with its fuel drinking, 5k converter, and 4.33's on a spool but I have no issue taking it to cruise ins and car shows on the weekends. Its a kitten until you get after it.
4thHorseman
4thHorseman

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 15th 2011, 6:58 am

I like the guy's mention of more duration. If you intend to street race with street tires, with the torque the engine will make you may be better served moving the "power band" to a higher engine speed just so you don't blow the tires off (as bad) every time you step on it! The 2" primary tubes may aid in this as well.

P.S. I like your thinking .... C4, that's a performance advantage!

Happy motoring.
Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 15th 2011, 12:35 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:I like the guy's mention of more duration. If you intend to street race with street tires, with the torque the engine will make you may be better served moving the "power band" to a higher engine speed just so you don't blow the tires off (as bad) every time you step on it! The 2" primary tubes may aid in this as well.

P.S. I like your thinking .... C4, that's a performance advantage!

Happy motoring.
Dave.
not looking to do much street racing, but I see the point with the bigger duration, and will put this thought to good use.

the only reason for the C4 is the fact that I already have it and it is supposed to be good for 1000 hp. still thinking of switching to a C6.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 15th 2011, 7:36 pm

paulie wrote: still thinking of switching to a C6.

I don't like your thinking anymore!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney January 15th 2011, 9:23 pm

I ran 10.20s N/A 9.0s on spray with a 460 inch stock shortblock, solid flat tappet, ported D0VE headed combo at 3100lbs and a C4. If your aforementioned combo won't go 9s let alone mid 10s I would put matches and gasoline to good use. JMO. In fact with 521 inches, ported aftermarket aluminum heads, solid roller, mid 9s would dissappoint me.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  Filucky January 15th 2011, 10:06 pm

If your builing this from scratch why not go with A460 heads? It won't cost hardly any more and you could make the hp you need so easily and with alot more potential down the road if you want it. Very Happy
Filucky
Filucky

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle January 16th 2011, 1:13 pm

I would stick a set of P51s on it, up the cam to around the 260ish range at .050", 1050 on the new TFS intake and ditch the C4 and put a glide in it....

If that doesn't go low 10s or high 9s on motor alone then something is wrong with it!

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 17th 2011, 12:17 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
paulie wrote: still thinking of switching to a C6.

I don't like your thinking anymore!

Dave.
and what do you like about the c4? I am afraid the tourque will kill this thing.

and keep the input coming, I do like the ideas here.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney January 17th 2011, 2:12 pm

Glide.
Barney
Barney

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 17th 2011, 8:29 pm

Barney wrote:Glide.
I really have thought about a glide, but would like the extra gear for the street.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 17th 2011, 8:42 pm

Does this package have vacuum power brakes......if so that'll controll the cam specs somewhat.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulie January 18th 2011, 1:48 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Does this package have vacuum power brakes......if so that'll controll the cam specs somewhat.
yes it does.

paulie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down