BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tunnel ram vs. single plane

5 posters

Go down

Tunnel ram vs. single plane Empty Tunnel ram vs. single plane

Post  mitch February 9th 2011, 6:32 pm

The rules for a truck pulling class iv'e been thinking about building for require a single 4150 carb, 480 max cubic inches, and oem Iron heads. My heads will be ported D00E R's. My goal is 800 hp, RPM's would be 7500+. Would a tunnel ram with a single top be any better for this application than a victor or TFS intake? sheet metal intakes are not allowed.

mitch

Back to top Go down

Tunnel ram vs. single plane Empty single 4 tunnel ram

Post  blown473 February 9th 2011, 7:04 pm

Single 4 tunnel rams are not as effective as a Victor or other raised "Air gap" style manifolds. Because the carb is located in the center of the top, the airflow is not as centered over the ports as a dual 4 tunnel ram top. Victor and other similar manifolds are designed around a single carb, and will flow better. Single 4 tunnel rams were really just for looks, to put a tall manifold on an engine that really could not handle 2 carbs.
blown473
blown473

Back to top Go down

Tunnel ram vs. single plane Empty Re: Tunnel ram vs. single plane

Post  Tennessee Bullitt February 9th 2011, 9:19 pm

Do the single plane, the TFS has had great sucess and they are priced very well. I believe that it is as cast what a victor is ported. Richter comes to mind with some good R&D. There is a thread on them. I think Lem has some in stock as well.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 9th 2011, 9:21 pm

mitch wrote:The rules for a truck pulling class iv'e been thinking about building for require a single 4150 carb, 480 max cubic inches, and oem Iron heads. My heads will be ported D00E R's. My goal is 800 hp, RPM's would be 7500+. Would a tunnel ram with a single top be any better for this application than a victor or TFS intake? sheet metal intakes are not allowed.

Mitch,

The new TFS Mafia intake manifold (which has a 4500 Dommy carb pad) would be your best bet for max. horsepower. However, you would need to run one of those Quick Fuel Technologies adapter plates and then bolt on like a Quick Fuel 1050 cfm 4150 style carb.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  hienergy557 February 9th 2011, 10:09 pm

c.evans wrote:
mitch wrote:The rules for a truck pulling class iv'e been thinking about building for require a single 4150 carb, 480 max cubic inches, and oem Iron heads. My heads will be ported D00E R's. My goal is 800 hp, RPM's would be 7500+. Would a tunnel ram with a single top be any better for this application than a victor or TFS intake? sheet metal intakes are not allowed.

Mitch,

The new TFS Mafia intake manifold (which has a 4500 Dommy carb pad) would be your best bet for max. horsepower. However, you would need to run one of those Quick Fuel Technologies adapter plates and then bolt on like a Quick Fuel 1050 cfm 4150 style carb.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

Charlie,
What is this Quick Fuel Technologies adapter plate you speak off? Do you have a picture or a link for it?
Colin.
hienergy557
hienergy557

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans February 9th 2011, 10:22 pm

Colin,

Lem and Phillip sell them. Also, the 1050 cfm 4150 style Quick Fuel carbs are available with a billet throttle baseplate that is ambidextrous and will bolt on either carb bolt pattern. We've had to do this on some truck pulling engines that have been built here such as Jeff Swanson's and others.

Charlie

Edit; It's PN 300-4145-1AL, however I just went on the Quick Fuel web site and they don't show a picture of it. Says it's "coming soon".

There are two throttle bodies that have the ambidextrous pattern. The die cast one is PN 12-851 and the billet one is PN 12-854

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down