BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question

3 posters

Go down

Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question Empty Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question

Post  scottk February 20th 2011, 9:49 pm

I have finally gotten my 521 for my 79 ford f250 together. Now I am looking for what pulley/bracket setups to use. I have a M-8501-C460 water pump which from what I can determine is standard rotation. I had initially wanted to run a serpintine belt however it sounds like this won't work with the water pump I have as is spins it backwards? First can anyone verify that this is true? Second what are my options for pulleys and brackets? I want to run ac, alternator and power steering. Unfortunately the engine I used for a core did not have any brackets with it. Is the older style with various belts an ok system? Is the serpintine that much better, should i ditch the water pump and go for the serpintine system? I really don't want to spend the money on the March Pulleys they are a bit more than I want to spend. I would appreciate anyones thoughts or experiences.

Thanks,

Scott

scottk

Back to top Go down

Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question Empty Re: Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question

Post  95lightiningguy February 21st 2011, 1:46 am

All 385 series stock cofiguration pumps whether "sepentine" or not rotates the same way.The later model truck system is very affordable at your local U-Pullit type salvage yard.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question Empty Re: Water Pump - Pulley Configurations question

Post  scottk February 21st 2011, 1:54 pm

Thanks 95. I appreciate that. I found one off of a 91 f350 so think I will pick it up. I am told that this is a much better system than the original multibelt setup.

One other question will there be any problems with changing to a 100 amp alternator with the other remaining 79 components?

scottk

Back to top Go down

Post  DFI429 February 21st 2011, 8:11 pm

scottk wrote:One other question will there be any problems with changing to a 100 amp alternator with the other remaining 79 components?

If you're talking about the newer generation alternators the setup will be simpler - You'll be able to get rid of the external regulator & associated wiring (and the eventual problems that go with them), and will just need the "turn-on" wire for the alt. (12v hot w/key on). The earlier bracketry affords plenty of space... The Fox Mustang stuff requires clearancing of the aluminum brackets in some instances, but I'd say your truck stuff would be good.
DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down