BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I take block to machinist or scrap it?

4 posters

Go down

Should I take block to machinist or scrap it? Empty Should I take block to machinist or scrap it?

Post  btpigpen March 18th 2011, 3:28 pm

I had the #7 piston rod come loose last month in a DOVE block. Finally tore into it and found the following visual damage to the block:
-#7 and adjacent cylinder bore edges are mauled from the loose piston rod smacking it
-#7 and #3 cylinder walls are scratched up
-distributor shaft bore where the oil pump and distributor shaft mate may be galled up (I had to beat the distributor shaft out of that area and the shaft was rough just below the shaft's cam gear).
-one of the coolant passages was contaminated with oil

So looking for more experienced views on whether I should go to the trouble of taking block to a machinist or just start looking for a new one?

Should I take block to machinist or scrap it? IMG_0612

btpigpen

Back to top Go down

Should I take block to machinist or scrap it? Empty Re: Should I take block to machinist or scrap it?

Post  342g March 18th 2011, 4:00 pm

sleeve it.
342g
342g
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Should I take block to machinist or scrap it? Empty Re: Should I take block to machinist or scrap it?

Post  95lightiningguy March 19th 2011, 12:45 am

Definately take to machine shop and have mag check at least, that way you know what you've got to work with.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 19th 2011, 6:21 am

tough call over the internet, but like has been said take it in and have a qualified person look at it, lots of times thay can be repaired, especialy for drag racing duty.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  btpigpen March 19th 2011, 8:54 am

Thanks for the input! I will take it one- just didn't want to take it and then get laughed out of the shop for my trouble.

btpigpen

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy March 20th 2011, 1:18 am

Any shop that would laugh about something like this wouldnt be in business very long.
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down