BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about HV oilpump

5 posters

Go down

question about HV oilpump Empty question about HV oilpump

Post  daves79dart March 28th 2011, 2:09 am

the 466 in my mustang has a HV pump in it.i am getting alot of oil to the top.do i need to put restrictors in it?if so how and where do i do this?thanks

daves79dart

Back to top Go down

question about HV oilpump Empty Re: question about HV oilpump

Post  dfree383 March 28th 2011, 7:02 am

Better to put a std volumn pump in it and clean up the drain back holes. IMO.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 28th 2011, 9:28 am

daves79dart wrote:the 466 in my mustang has a HV pump in it.i am getting alot of oil to the top.do i need to put restrictors in it?if so how and where do i do this?thanks

The lifter or how it is installed may have something to do with it.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  daves79dart March 29th 2011, 5:27 am

rmcomprandy wrote:
daves79dart wrote:the 466 in my mustang has a HV pump in it.i am getting alot of oil to the top.do i need to put restrictors in it?if so how and where do i do this?thanks

The lifter or how it is installed may have something to do with it.
it has solid lifters in it.i dont know what you mean by how it is installed.i wish ied built this engine so i knew what i had and how it was built.

daves79dart

Back to top Go down

Post  daves79dart March 29th 2011, 5:40 am

dfree383 wrote:Better to put a std volumn pump in it and clean up the drain back holes. IMO.

are you talking about a stock oil pump? i am pulling the engine to change the truck oil pan and putting in the fox body oil pan and the trickflow street heads.so i can change the oil pump when i have it out.at what point should you put a HV oilpump in a engine? thanks guys

daves79dart

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 29th 2011, 7:11 am

I wouldn't use a HV pump unless the engine is set-up wau loose on bearing tolerances. They just are not necessary in 99% of the builds, as long as you build it correctly.

Plus some of your issues may be oil slosh with a stock truck pan, thay are no good for HP use, unless you install some baffles.

Make sure to install a windage tray also.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  daves79dart March 29th 2011, 7:27 am

dfree383 wrote:I wouldn't use a HV pump unless the engine is set-up wau loose on bearing tolerances. They just are not necessary in 99% of the builds, as long as you build it correctly.

Plus some of your issues may be oil slosh with a stock truck pan, thay are no good for HP use, unless you install some baffles.

.i was not runing the engine i was turning it over with the valvecover off.i was shocked when i seen how much oil was comming to the top.i want to make sure im getting you right.you think i should go back to a stock oil pump

daves79dart

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN March 29th 2011, 8:51 am

Do you have a reference on how much oil should be coming out of the push-rods? I find it funny how you think too much oil is coming out, and right away it's the HV oil pump's fault. If you don't know what clearances were put into the engine, and other members don't know the temp, oil thickness, and the conditions that you use this vehicle under, it is not correct to assume the HV is in the wrong application here. 99% is stretching it a bit.

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 29th 2011, 9:46 am

daves79dart wrote:
dfree383 wrote:I wouldn't use a HV pump unless the engine is set-up wau loose on bearing tolerances. They just are not necessary in 99% of the builds, as long as you build it correctly.

.i was not runing the engine i was turning it over with the valvecover off.i was shocked when i seen how much oil was comming to the top.i want to make sure im getting you right.you think i should go back to a stock oil pump

I don't think he was referring to a stock ford pump, but rather a standard volume pump. Go get a good Melling Standard volume pump or make a call to Paul Kane and talk to them about what you need. There is a big difference in high volume or high pressure. Dave is saying most builds don't need the high volume, but I'm sure they could stand a little boost in the pressure side.
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down