BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil seals not staying on the guide

4 posters

Go down

oil seals not staying on the guide Empty oil seals not staying on the guide

Post  nuclearcobra March 29th 2011, 8:09 am

These are on my jegs/kaase canted valve aluminum heads for my cobra 2 and it came with comp cams #503 seals and when i pulled the heads a few nites ago (nitrous was hungry and ate a head gasket last sunday) i noticed only 3 of the 16 were on the guide the rest were riding on the valve stem are they worn out maybe ? they should stay on the guide right ? the springs are comp #924. with a 534 lift flat hyd cam. (292h)
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

oil seals not staying on the guide Empty Re: oil seals not staying on the guide

Post  dfree383 March 29th 2011, 8:20 am

wrong seals?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 29th 2011, 10:02 am

The 924 spring calls for a 503 seal, maybe there not 503 seals i thought they were assembled with those. Are u supposed to install the seals dry ? when i did it they had oil on the guide and inside the seal a little. Its says they have amco 45 guides and .531 teflon seals they look like the comp 503 set i have here for another pair of heads.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 30th 2011, 7:35 am

Measure the guides and seal, they may be the wrong size?

What comp say will work with the spring doesn't matter it the guides have been cut down to a different size.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 30th 2011, 7:35 am

DP
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 31st 2011, 6:25 am

The guides are .530 and the seals are .505-.506 id the guide # is che 501-e215 i'm gonna try some new ones and install them without oil on them and see what happens Laughing
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 31st 2011, 10:18 am

Sounds to me as though the valve spring is oscillating enough for the inner spring to contact the seal.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  10SHOTS March 31st 2011, 10:25 am

nuclearcobra wrote:These are on my jegs/kaase canted valve aluminum heads for my cobra 2 and it came with comp cams #503 seals and when i pulled the heads a few nites ago (nitrous was hungry and ate a head gasket last sunday) i noticed only 3 of the 16 were on the guide the rest were riding on the valve stem are they worn out maybe ? they should stay on the guide right ? the springs are comp #924. with a 534 lift flat hyd cam. (292h)

I had the same problem with some scj cylinder heads that have guides that are slick cut where the seal slides down, some heads have guides that look like this http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage.asp?part=TFS-41400251-1 where the seal goes, 503 seals wont stay on the slick cut guides , use these on those, http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp-Cams/249/529-16/10002/-1?parentProductId=1122701

and check what Mr.Randy said
10SHOTS
10SHOTS

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra March 31st 2011, 6:28 pm

I wondered about it moving around too much also,the spring cups are getting changed as well and they might be the problem their the right cups for the springs but as defree pointed out it don't mean there right for the guides, the cups now are cc #4700 .640 id and the ones on the way are .570 id and they fit snug on the guide (just needed 8 more) and if it still does it then i'll try the metal viton seals 10shots is talkin about.

Last edited by nuclearcobra on April 2nd 2011, 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra April 2nd 2011, 11:00 am

Your right Randy cheers after taking more springs off i can see that the springs have hit the seals because some of the bottom edge of the seals are ripped and hanging there. Its my fault i bought the cups for that spring with no regard for guide size Embarassed well at least it didn't hurt anything Very Happy and i had to pull the heads anyway because of the head gaskets which is strange because it didn't burn them, the bottom water holes between the cylinders were missing gasket material and it leaked water into #7 cylinder. I bought the cheapest gasket kit i could find it was 38 bucks Rolling Eyes i always wanted to know how cheap they really are Laughing and it also said maxium compression is 10 to 1 and its 10.5 without the 125 shot.The heads are going back on today with felpro gaskets and the right cups Very Happy
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra April 14th 2011, 6:59 am

Everythings good now cheers and no more smoke to boot Cool and i thought it started smoking because the rings were wearning out from the spray (factory bottem end) but not the case Very Happy
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down