BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions

3 posters

Go down

Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions Empty Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions

Post  Faststreetcar April 3rd 2011, 11:07 pm

Hello-

I'm new to big block Fords, but not new to Fords or racing. I picked up the top half of an engine from a local racer (impulse buy), and I'm still figuring out what I should do with it. I was impressed by the engine it came off of, because it was a relatively low budget combo. Ported blue thunder heads (BBC exhaust), victor 460 intake, cast crank, cheap aluminum rods, stock block, 532cid. From what I understand the cam was around .700 lift and was limited by piston to valve clearance. Compression was around 13 or 13.5:1. This engine made 870HP on the dyno, which I thought was great. It went 148mph @ 3200#, so I don't think it was a happy dyno either.

Regardless, I'm trying to decide if I should put together a similar combination and have fun, or if I should build a bigger engine, or if I should tame it down and build a bigger engine with less compression and run it on pump gas.

My questions are:

1. How big a motor can this top half support (I got heads, intake, rockers, pushrods, etc from the engine above) ?
2. How big a motor can a stock block support?
3. How much power can be made on pump gas (if I go that route), and how big should the engine be if I do that?

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Faststreetcar

http://www.detroitracing.com

Back to top Go down

Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions Empty Re: Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions

Post  schmitty April 3rd 2011, 11:29 pm

#1and 2. Sounds like you are wanting to do a stock block deal. 557ci is normal for top ci in a stock block. These heads would do fine.
#3. Stock block, big stroker, and pump gas, possible to do, but you will need some big dish pistons. If you want to do this, a smaller ci engine would be more friendly. Maybe a 514ci with a 4.15" crank, or a 521ci with a 4.3" crank.

Be aware, that these heads are going to make a lot of hp, and you will be at the limits of the stock block capabilities. An A460 block should be strongly considered at this power level. There are a couple of ways to make the stock blocks better, but that money to upgrade would be better served towards the purchase of an A460 block. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions Empty Re: Blue Thunder CJ heads/Stroker combination questions

Post  res0rli9 April 3rd 2011, 11:58 pm

wrong post scratch

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Faststreetcar April 4th 2011, 9:11 am

schmitty wrote:#1and 2. Sounds like you are wanting to do a stock block deal. 557ci is normal for top ci in a stock block. These heads would do fine.
#3. Stock block, big stroker, and pump gas, possible to do, but you will need some big dish pistons. If you want to do this, a smaller ci engine would be more friendly. Maybe a 514ci with a 4.15" crank, or a 521ci with a 4.3" crank.

Be aware, that these heads are going to make a lot of hp, and you will be at the limits of the stock block capabilities. An A460 block should be strongly considered at this power level. There are a couple of ways to make the stock blocks better, but that money to upgrade would be better served towards the purchase of an A460 block. Cool

Thanks for the info!

If I was to do a pump gas 521 with this top end, how much power can be made with a fairly streetable engine? It would be a stock block with a forged crank and rods, and good pistons.

Faststreetcar

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty April 4th 2011, 9:47 am

You can make way more power than you could ever hope to control on the street. With a 521 combo, on pump gas, over 600hp/600tq is possible. I don't know what you are putting this in, or your abilities as a driver, but that is too much for a street engine. With the kind of torque you will be generating, it will be hard to control tire spin and will be a real bear to drive. If this is going to be a strictly street deal, just do a 460-472ci deal with a factory crank. IMHO put a relatively small camshaft in it, to keep the peak tq/hp in a drivable rpm range. I don't do cams, but there are several here that do in our vendor list. Be very honest with them in that you want a "street", not an all out optimum cam. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Faststreetcar April 4th 2011, 9:55 am

schmitty wrote:You can make way more power than you could ever hope to control on the street. With a 521 combo, on pump gas, over 600hp/600tq is possible. I don't know what you are putting this in, or your abilities as a driver, but that is too much for a street engine. With the kind of torque you will be generating, it will be hard to control tire spin and will be a real bear to drive. If this is going to be a strictly street deal, just do a 460-472ci deal with a factory crank. IMHO put a relatively small camshaft in it, to keep the peak tq/hp in a drivable rpm range. I don't do cams, but there are several here that do in our vendor list. Be very honest with them in that you want a "street", not an all out optimum cam. Cool

I do appreciate the reply, but I need more than that. It will be street driven, but not street raced. When I do take it to the track, I'm looking for single digits on pump fuel and on motor. I already have a small block car that almost does that (real close). This will be going in a 1965 Comet that won't be heavy, but won't be light either. I also have a small tire turbo car with 1300+hp, so I know how to get down the track, and I'm serious about doing it.

So I guess I'm honestly asking what the most I can do on pump gas with a streetable stock block combo is.

Thanks again for all your help. I've never owned a big block before.

Faststreetcar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down