BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on dual pattern camshafts

5 posters

Go down

Question on dual pattern camshafts Empty Question on dual pattern camshafts

Post  manofmerc April 18th 2011, 6:23 pm

This is my first time posting on here .So here we go .Most 385 series engine buildersknow to use a camshaft with more lift and duration on the exhaust .This is common knowledge .And most flat tappet or rollers use 10 degrees more duration on the exhaust side .And a corrosponding amount of ex lift .I have been looking through a lunati catalog and a lot of there cams have around 7 degrees more ex duration .Tell me if you keep the difference in duration tighter (6-7) degrees as opposed to 10 degrees what will the effect be ? More torque,less top end ,or what ?I have a 3440 lbs dragcar 466 edel heads no porting perf rpm airgap 950 qf carb 11.67 compression 17/8 headers reed solid 584 250 603 259 correct valvetrain c6 with a to tight 10convertor 456 gears .It runs 7.26 in the eighth And 11.30@118.6I have been considering this lunati solid flat tappet cam.Pn.416a4lun 252/259 633/636 by the way my reeed cam and this lunati both have 108 lobe seperation .I really am wondering if there would be much difference between the two cams .Looking to pickup torque to move my heavy comet bracket racer .By the wayI dont really abuse it 6000 rpm shifts and 5600 through the lights .And I now have a much better ati 8inch convertor but I havent installed it yet .Sorry for the long post but I tryed to put my correct info out there Thanks manofmerc

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Question on dual pattern camshafts Empty Re: Question on dual pattern camshafts

Post  rmcomprandy April 18th 2011, 6:46 pm

There's a whole lot more to it than you are trying to simplify here.
Exhaust & intake opening & closing points along with the lobe area, flank aggressiveness and lobe nose dwell will determine what is best for THAT particular application.
There is NO "rule of thumb".
Sometimes a single pattern or dual-pattern with a larger intake lobe fits the situation better.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 April 18th 2011, 8:23 pm

at drag week i talked to the lunati techs about my cam its a single pattern cam 258 258 solid they said 10 to 15 hp left on the table. if that helps you

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans April 18th 2011, 8:36 pm

Step 1. Put in that "much better" 8" ATI convertor and see how the car runs with the engine's ability to rev higher. You've already got the convertor, so from this point on, it's nothing but labor on your part to put it in.

Step 2. After you've run the car with the looser convertor, then study your notes and data, and make a more informed decision about the camshaft selection.

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Question on dual pattern camshafts Empty Thank you!

Post  manofmerc April 19th 2011, 6:30 pm

Well I know I probably did oversimplfy my question but I guess I am a simple man.And that is my plan Mr.Evans to get my new convertor installed and look at a cam swap after that is done .I was really wondering about the difference between cams with less than 10 degrees difference in.ex.duration .Whenever I get my ati convertor installed I will post on here .Thanks again Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Question on dual pattern camshafts Empty Thank you!

Post  manofmerc April 19th 2011, 6:31 pm

Well I know I probably did oversimplfy my question but I guess I am a simple man.And that is my plan Mr.Evans to get my new convertor installed and look at a cam swap after that is done .I was really wondering about the difference between cams with less than 10 degrees difference in.ex.duration .Whenever I get my ati convertor installed I will post on here .Thanks again Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 19th 2011, 7:52 pm

Doug Randy designed my cam and built it for my engine and truck.It has more duro and lift on the intake seamed odd to me but I am no cam builder but I can tell you this when my truck get over 4000 rpms hold on it like someone done kicked it in the rear.My converter was way tight for this combo I just changed my converter to a 10" TCI 4000 stall and I can already tell it is looser than the supposed to been 3500 10" BDR was with this combo.Randy, Charlie,Lem, and they are more on here that builds engine and designes cam for different engines just to many to list.I wouldn't ask for one of them to give me the specs for a custom until we had made the deal Randy give me ball park figure.Witch I myself can't blame him for not giving the complete specs until it was payed for that way you do have someone ealse build the cam with there specs.

You will be suprized how the loose converter fills I haven't got down on mine yet but Friday night will tell the story.The tight converter my truck ran the best it ever has with a 7.27@94.50mph in the 1/8.I believe it will run 6.9s if I can get the Rs up off the line or aleast 7.0s last time out it never started pulling hard to after the 60' mark.My 60' times was 1.60s I am hoping this converter I can get it down in the 1.40s maybe.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 21st 2011, 8:22 pm

I need to go back and correct this my cam has less duro on the intake but more lift and the exhaust has more duro and alittle less lift it was setup this way for my engine.This is the 1st custom cam I have had and now on for a performance engine I will have a cam made for it alittle more money the best extra $50 I have spent on hp.The different between the shelf cam and custom cam is like night and day.The off the shelf cam is ok maybe for the weekend cruiser that wants a loppy idle with little more hp but for max hp out of the engine custom cam is the way to go.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down