BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First BB build, could use some advice.

5 posters

Go down

First BB build, could use some advice.  Empty First BB build, could use some advice.

Post  visching101 September 3rd 2011, 12:26 pm

As the tital says this is my first bb build. I come from a mostly import background so some of this is new to me. also please don't flame me for not using the search, I am doing this from my phone. As I still don't have power from the storm that hit li.

I found a motor and trans on c-list. It's a complete 460 motor and trans from an early f350 I believe. Comes with swap parts as it is in the same style mustang as mine. I will be going to check it out next week, as its still in the car running. Mostly stock I believe he said it had a mild cam, high rise intake, and double carb. He has no asking price, what would be a good offer and what could I expect from it? This would be that starting point of a budget build. Any advice would be appreciated.

visching101

Back to top Go down

First BB build, could use some advice.  Empty Re: First BB build, could use some advice.

Post  69F100 September 3rd 2011, 1:15 pm

That is a loaded ? with out knowing anything about the engine as what shape it is all in.1 is the trans any good as in does it work or is something a miss in it like not shifting, slips,things in that nature.2 engine just depends on what all has been done to it heads ported what heads does it have has it been bored for bigger pistons what rpm has he turnrd it is the crank standard or been turned with over size bearing I know you said it had a mild cam and mostly stock but a mild cam can be one thing to one person and not so mild to another person does it run smooth with no knocks or pings all this will come into play.So saying just what it would be a wild guess that I would not want to make.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

First BB build, could use some advice.  Empty Re: First BB build, could use some advice.

Post  Tennessee Bullitt September 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm

Probaly about $1,000. If it is set right it should give you some fun. I'll take a stab and say high 7's 1/8 mile. Depends really what is done and what kind of trans and mods that are on it. I wouldn't pay a whole lot because areound here I have seen motor and trans combos running $600 for stock as can be. Talk to Lem or Randy about the motor and the trans talk to mike whitefield on here if you need anything.

I have a 95 f350 dually super cab stock everything with a 460 and launching from idle it runs 10.70's 1/8 mile.... just a little insight what a stock motor can do for you. Very Happy
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  visching101 September 3rd 2011, 1:38 pm

wow fast replies... Yea he didnt have much info listed in the add other then what i mentioned. But again I will be going to check it out and drive the car that it is currently in next week. The seller is a friend of a friend so its that sorta deal lol. I was originally looking for a completely stock base to start with but by me in NY that is alot easier said then done. Again this is my first BB build and i just wanna make sure I do everything right.

Edit just got a txt from him... it has brand new Howard's cam, dual 4barrel Holley carbs, Weiand High rise intake manifold, & Mallory ignition, hes looking to get around 1300 but is negotiable on the price.

visching101

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt September 3rd 2011, 2:15 pm

What trans?
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick September 3rd 2011, 2:19 pm

If this is a street/strip car the 1st thing to do is get rid of the 2x4 set up and use a single 4 bbl. I had a 2x4 set up on a coughchevycough back in the 80's and it was a POS to drive on the street, not too mention the adjustment hassle.

Good luck,
John
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  StickBBF September 4th 2011, 10:30 am

visching,
What is your intent - will this be a street-driven ride?

StickBBF confused

StickBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  visching101 September 4th 2011, 12:27 pm

It will be strret/track for about a year or so. After which it will be just a track car.

visching101

Back to top Go down

Post  StickBBF September 5th 2011, 8:40 am

I'd suggest you tell the guy that you are NOT looking for a truck setup, rather you're looking for a stone-stock BB from a car. Thus, the truck transmission and much of what is on the engine now you won't be using and you'll have to TRY to sell it to someone.....so, with that understood, you'd still take a chance on it and offer him $850 as it sits. That is more than any scrap yard will give him and we both know BB daily drivers are NOT real desirable rides in NY these days. Then - if he does sell it to ya - you won't have as much in it, leaving you some cash in hand to locate a decent transmission for your hot rod - 'cause you don't want to dink around with some truck transmission for your hot rod project.

Meanwhile, go to the library and get on a desktop (not your phone) & read what others are doing here on their rides that are close to what you imagine your ride to be like, and start gathering parts for it.

StickBBF cheers

StickBBF

Back to top Go down

Post  visching101 September 5th 2011, 12:48 pm

StickBBF wrote:I'd suggest you tell the guy that you are NOT looking for a truck setup, rather you're looking for a stone-stock BB from a car. Thus, the truck transmission and much of what is on the engine now you won't be using and you'll have to TRY to sell it to someone.....so, with that understood, you'd still take a chance on it and offer him $850 as it sits. That is more than any scrap yard will give him and we both know BB daily drivers are NOT real desirable rides in NY these days. Then - if he does sell it to ya - you won't have as much in it, leaving you some cash in hand to locate a decent transmission for your hot rod - 'cause you don't want to dink around with some truck transmission for your hot rod project.

Meanwhile, go to the library and get on a desktop (not your phone) & read what others are doing here on their rides that are close to what you imagine your ride to be like, and start gathering parts for it.

StickBBF cheers

thanks for the advice. I just got power back the other 2 days ago and the first thing i did after taking a hot shower was start looking up some more info. He has someone coming to check the motor out today, but i'm not really worried if it sells or not. I think im leaning more to picking up a more stock motor and doing a build over thew winter. A lot of the builds i see online dont mention the trans they are using, any advice on that end?

visching101

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick September 5th 2011, 2:09 pm

StickBBF cheers [/quote]

thanks for the advice. I just got power back the other 2 days ago and the first thing i did after taking a hot shower was start looking up some more info. He has someone coming to check the motor out today, but i'm not really worried if it sells or not. I think im leaning more to picking up a more stock motor and doing a build over thew winter. A lot of the builds i see online dont mention the trans they are using, any advice on that end? [/quote]

C6, several members work on them here
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down