BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intake noise?

+7
dfree383
longroofracer
bbf-falcon
69F100
schmitty
bb429power
James1965
11 posters

Go down

Intake noise? Empty Intake noise?

Post  James1965 September 5th 2011, 8:31 pm

I recently transplanted a 1976 460 into my 1965 Galaxie 500 , but before it went in, I replaced the intake manifold gaskets, valve covers, and Carb gaskets. before the transplant the motor ran smooth , but now after the first start in the Galaxie it soulds like ... Like the noise a dry bearing would make when the bendix is stuck on the starter.. I even changed out the starter thinking that is where it was coming from.. but 4 other people say its coming from the carb. this has a factory carb and intake. the thing that makes me question the intake gasket is this... I replaced it with a felpro gasket set, full belly pan one.. it seems to have 3 layers of sheet metal and is riveted together at the intake ports. the rivets although stick out the intake seems to seal. I never heard a noisse like this from anything other than a dry bearing on a electric motor. so im wondering if anyone has used this type of gasket or can reccomend a better intake gasket.. heads are D3EV, stock intake manifold, 1976 Thunderbird 460. this is the first time ive had a felpro gaket set that didnt work for me. is a full belly pan required on the 460? or can you get a set that covers the ends and ports? whats your thoughts? I know I know, ditchthe intake and that monster junk carb.. that is in the works, but have to wait till the money flows in.
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Intake noise? Empty Re: Intake noise?

Post  bb429power September 5th 2011, 8:43 pm

Wait, your saying you have a valley pan installed, and it has metal gaskets riveted on both sides correct? I am probably not of any help, but I bought one of those. When it was time to install it I didnt like how the gaskets were so I said screw it. So I put the intake on without it and used my nice, not cheaply made, intake gaskets... it didn't look like it could possibly seal good...
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 5th 2011, 8:48 pm

Ditch the valley pan, and use regular intake gaskets for the head side, and RTV on the ends for the china walls. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 5th 2011, 9:09 pm

schmitty wrote:Ditch the valley pan, and use regular intake gaskets for the head side, and RTV on the ends for the china walls. Cool

X2
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 5th 2011, 10:35 pm

schmitty wrote:Ditch the valley pan, and use regular intake gaskets for the head side, and RTV on the ends for the china walls. Cool

X3

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer September 6th 2011, 12:41 am

If you replaced the gaskets between the intake manifold and spacer, and carb... make sure they were actually for the factory intake to the factory spacer, not a generic gasket for a holley carb. There is a little space that won't be covered by a generic gasket when using the factory spacer under the carb, and will leak, like an exhaust leak you can't figure out why the heck it is coming from the carb area... lol.

EDIT: Here is a link to the mounting base gasket, and other carb gaskets...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1976-Ford-F250-3-4-ton-P-U-2WD/Carburetor-Mounting-Base-Gasket/_/N-inwnuZ8vfxj
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 September 6th 2011, 7:41 am

I installed the correct gaskets under the carb and spacer block. all tightened down correctly according to specs. it was the intake that was the pain.. big ole sheet metal with strips laminated to the sides where the heads are and then riveted together. I never understood the reason for the valley pan myself. but I'm going to rip it out of there and go with just the 4 piece gaskets.
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 6th 2011, 7:44 am

The Valley Pan is to keep oil from hitting and baking onto the crossover.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 September 6th 2011, 10:49 am

dfree383 wrote:The Valley Pan is to keep oil from hitting and baking onto the crossover.
did not know that but it makes sense.. thank you. learn something new every day. Smile
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 6th 2011, 2:07 pm

James1965 wrote: I'm going to rip it out of there and go with just the 4 piece gaskets.

Toss the end pieces away and use a bead of RTV in their place. Make sure that there is a good alignment between the head and manifold also. ie, no misalignment because of machining. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Intake noise? Empty VALLEY PAN

Post  D-Rail September 6th 2011, 5:33 pm

I have had valley pans in mine since I put the motor together. I have had the intake off 3 times with replacements. Those rivits look scary as hell but somehow manage to seal. RTV at the front and back corners never a noise or leak problem. They will keep hot oil from heating the underside of the intake.

D-Rail

Back to top Go down

Post  IcallhimGeorge September 6th 2011, 5:37 pm

Valley pans make an excellent tray for cooking Thanksgiving turkey. The best part is the intake holes provide a grip when pulling it out the oven.

IcallhimGeorge
IcallhimGeorge
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 6th 2011, 8:52 pm

the valley pan was the only way i could stop the intake on my old street car from cooking.it would boil fuel out the carb vents on very hot days. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  James1965 September 6th 2011, 11:53 pm

D-Rail wrote: I have had valley pans in mine since I put the motor together. I have had the intake off 3 times with replacements. Those rivits look scary as hell but somehow manage to seal. RTV at the front and back corners never a noise or leak problem. They will keep hot oil from heating the underside of the intake.

why toss the end pieces? hmm.. never trusted RTV all by itself.. the end pieces on it now are pretty nice... is this the normal for the 460?
I live in Pennsylvania so it doesnt usually get too hot here. the car wont be a dragster by any means so I think i should be able to get away without the valley pan gasket. hope the economy picks up so i can get back to the 50 hour work weeks, then I can buy the new intake without the wife castrating me. eek!
James1965
James1965

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller September 7th 2011, 12:22 am

IMO,If the end rail gaskets are the rubber ones with the rubber sticking out of them that go to the holes in the block use them.I use them and never had any problems with them.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 7th 2011, 7:40 am

TA-34 on the ends is the only way to go, ditch the end gaslets / seals, they move and leak.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down