BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Car nut? or just plain Nut?

5 posters

Go down

Car nut? or just plain Nut? Empty Car nut? or just plain Nut?

Post  460Dave September 26th 2011, 11:03 am

Hey Guys!
This isn’t a question of any sort, just my story.

I have been lurking this site (as well as others) for quite a while now. I occasionally ask questions when I get stumped, or figure I need a second opinion, but usually find myself embarrassed at the state and condition of my project and just keep my mouth (and keyboard) shut. Sometimes I think I am the most stubborn and/or stupid car guy around. I have more car projects than I have money or time (by far). The best “story” of them all is my T-bird. I bought the black 85 Turbo Coupe in 1996 (insert "Woo Hoo!" here). Immediately dropped a slightly beefed up 302 in it and had quite the tire burner. In 1998, I began gathering parts and building an engine to replace the 302. I was going “Big Block”!.!.!. This was not my first rodeo, but my planning and parts acquisition quickly climbed into the realms of power I had not yet achieved.

Although the car sat for many years (outside in the sun), occasionally I would get a wild hair and do something to it. It became this completely stripped out hunk of faded metal that was my “dream car”. A realistic look at the car told me that it would be much easier to make this into a full fledged drag car than the intended street/strip car. So, drag car it is! Long story, brought into reason, I completed a 466, with P-51 upper end, balanced and meticulously tweaked lower end a few years back. I didn’t have a shop to put either the car or the engine in, but I had a plan (damn it!). Insert your choice of motto: (Never give up! Don’t let them think you are a quitter! Put up or shut up, Etc.) As money came and went, there was continuous parts acquisition going on. I had built up quite the pile of pieces (headers, roll cage, rear end housing, tranny, etc.), but the car still had no home, and had not been touched for years. Doubt kept trying to creep into my thoughts about actuality of completion and my abilities for success. I know there are more and a couple of people that have heard me talk (I have an 85 T-bird I am putting a BBF in) that have thought, “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I have heard him say that for years”

I finally built my shop (36 x 44) with full justification that I can finally work on my car. Again, that creeping doubt is telling me “A “real” car guy, that was dedicated to his mission, would have worked on the car in the rain, sleet, hail, blistering sun, etc. until it was finished”. Anyways, the T-bird has spent the last 8 months being massaged into what looks like a real race car. The drive train is in (466, glide (w/brake) 9-inch), new brakes all the way around, 12-point cage, etc. I am completing the wiring and it will be ready to fire off and work through the process of getting on the track. I am still a ways from completion, but getting there.

I continually realize the dilemma that reality can be much more cruel than not. I do not live the lifestyle that should be able to afford a race car. My monies could be spent in other ways more responsibly. (Never Quit!) I keep telling myself that I am building a toy that will be quick and fast, yet dependable enough to enjoy year after year, with little to no need for major upgrades. The “rational” side says “Bull Sh#$”. Either way, I am determined to see it through.

I have read through literally hundreds of posts on web boards like this one and dreamed that I too, could not only talk the talk, but walk the walk. Maybe someday you can walk up and say “Hey, that was a nice run! Is that a real Ford Big Block in there?” When you see me smile from ear to ear and say “Yep”, you will know it is me!

460Dave

Back to top Go down

Car nut? or just plain Nut? Empty Re: Car nut? or just plain Nut?

Post  bigblockfox468 September 26th 2011, 11:27 am

Welcome aboard brother. I think most of us fits in some fashion of your story. Don't give up and don't sacrifice any of your financial responsibilities for your dream (which it doesn't sound like you have). You'll get it cheers Good luck Wink Share some pictures if you have any Smile

Last edited by bigblockfox468 on September 26th 2011, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea September 26th 2011, 12:17 pm

Welcome to the BBF Forum! Is your brothers name Jeff aka Cletus66? Car nut? or just plain Nut? Nutkick
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 September 26th 2011, 12:54 pm

Welcome to the site

I know how you fill It hasn't took me as long as you but I built mine the same buying parts as I got the money but it was well worth it the 1st time I hit the track.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 29th 2011, 11:29 pm

Welcome,we were all dreamers at some point in our lives and most of us still are too some point Embarassed Good luck Brother Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down