BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dry Sump pumps

5 posters

Go down

Dry Sump pumps Empty Dry Sump pumps

Post  HorsinAround September 14th 2009, 4:50 pm

Can the mounting brackets for most multi stage dry sump pumps be be changed from say a sbc to a bbf? I'm watching some on ebay, and if they go for the right price, I'm thinking I could rebuild one with new brackets for a bbf and have a less money in one.

What do you guys think?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Dry Sump pumps Empty Re: Dry Sump pumps

Post  Nevs September 14th 2009, 7:19 pm

You may not even need to change the brackets if you are running a motor plate. I've used BBC pumps before without a problem.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Dry Sump pumps Empty RE

Post  HorsinAround September 14th 2009, 9:25 pm

Yea, I'm running motor plates. Also, where can I get a dry sump pan?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 14th 2009, 9:33 pm

All them brackets and such can be made to fit...........never let that get in the way unless all you can do it bolt a car together.

Lem's got a line on the Steff's ...........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 14th 2009, 9:38 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Yea, I'm running motor plates. Also, where can I get a dry sump pan?

I've got a new steel Armando's pan with 3 -12 pickups in it, will clear the A460 block main caps.Never had oil in it. $400 shipped if you're interested... Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 14th 2009, 10:04 pm

HorsinAround wrote:Can the mounting brackets for most multi stage dry sump pumps be be changed from say a sbc to a bbf? I'm watching some on ebay, and if they go for the right price, I'm thinking I could rebuild one with new brackets for a bbf and have a less money in one.

What do you guys think?

Many of the mounting brackets can be flip-flopped around, changing these pumps from left side mount to right side mount. Especially the older Weaver Bros. pumps, the Stock Car Products pumps and the Stefs pumps. Weaver Bros. offers and sells a great rebuild manual for the gear style pumps, that applies to many of the other brands also.

Hope this helps,

Charlie Evans

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Dry Sump pumps Empty Re

Post  HorsinAround September 18th 2009, 11:08 am

What is the difference between pumps? I see 1.2's, 1.4's and 1.7in sections? Also when they are advertised as SBC for example, is that referring to the mounting brackets or is there more to it? What should I look for in a pump for my BBF that will be turning 8000rpm or more?
Oil pans; I am currently running this oil pan. http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16-774 could I simply shorten up the sump area, install a screen and weld in 3 bungs for a 3 stage pump or is there more to it?

Sorry for the dump questions, just trying to learn about a new concept for me, and also trying to save some money in the process by using what I already have and buying used and rebuilding (if/where advisable)

Thanks
Alan
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 18th 2009, 6:19 pm

HorsinAround wrote:What is the difference between pumps? I see 1.2's, 1.4's and 1.7in sections? Also when they are advertised as SBC for example, is that referring to the mounting brackets or is there more to it? What should I look for in a pump for my BBF that will be turning 8000rpm or more?
Oil pans; I am currently running this oil pan. http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16-774 could I simply shorten up the sump area, install a screen and weld in 3 bungs for a 3 stage pump or is there more to it?

Sorry for the dump questions, just trying to learn about a new concept for me, and also trying to save some money in the process by using what I already have and buying used and rebuilding (if/where advisable)

Thanks
Alan

Alan,

To the best of my knowledge, the 1.2 and 1.450" sections were/are intended for V-6 and small block engines. The 1.450" and 1.700" sections were/are intended for big block V-8 engines. The bigger the section, the more oil it will pump. If your engine has several "leaks", such as a stock block DOVE-C engine, then you better go with a 1.700" section width. If your engine does not have several "leaks", such as a SVO A-460 block, or Eliminator block, with a dedicated oil gallery, then you can go with the 1.450" section width.

Buy the catalogs that the companies sell and do your studying. The catalogs are helpful.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 18th 2009, 6:37 pm

It'd be better to use a pan that is designed for the dry sump . I would not use the 1.2" pressure section on a BBF....sized for a small block . I.M.O. you can run a smaller gear/rotor in an aftermarket race block than the production blocks ....lots to consider . When 'they' say 3 stage they are counting the pressure section as a stage ... so there are only two suctions in a 3 stage system . The 4 and 5 stage units are better i.m.o. ......keeps more oil out of the pan and can pull some vacuum .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down