BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firing order swap

+5
the Coug
rmcomprandy
jc10000rpm
Curt
STR-LGL-70
9 posters

Go down

Firing order swap Empty Firing order swap

Post  STR-LGL-70 Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 19:19

What would be the advantage or reason to swap the firing order on #8 and #2 cylinders?
I was looking at some roller cams on Cranes' website and they have these listed as SF01 firing order.
I used the forum search but found nothing about this.
Thanks.
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Firing order swap Empty Re: Firing order swap

Post  Curt Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 19:28

Easier on the crank and bearings.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  jc10000rpm Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 21:07

the ford 8 - 2 swap is the same as the chevy 4 - 7 swap, the firing orders are actually the same. the numbering scheme is just different

in you research it may be easier to find reference to the chevy 4 -7

http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/113_0701_lunati_cams/viewall.html

jc10000rpm

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 22:27

STR-LGL-70 wrote:What would be the advantage or reason to swap the firing order on #8 and #2 cylinders?
I was looking at some roller cams on Cranes' website and they have these listed as SF01 firing order.
I used the forum search but found nothing about this.
Thanks.

It may be worth a few horsepower with certain intake manifolds however, cost probably makes doing this prohibitive to most.
This is also the same firing order as the flathead Ford used years ago.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 11:21

If you're going to order a cam that isn't off the self, I can hook you up and it won't cost more than any other custom grind. Let me know.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 12:18

the Question is why change something that has worked for say what the last 40 or so years? If it was so hard on Bearings wouldn't KY's engine show it? He is definitely hard on one and his bearings looked New....JMHO I think it is a waste of your Money I have not seen any Proof it is better or worse, no Dyno Proof, no real time run proof. just some one thought it sounded good so whalla it is better..... Rolling Eyes

Oh I have some majic snake oil to sell only 8 bits a bottle, it cures all, aches and pains,it cleans stains on cloths, and you can drink it also Shocked

the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 12:23

Yeah I know Coug. I have not tested it myself. Kaase has, and he says its better, so that is why I had my new cam ground that way. The only guy more knowledgable with BBF is probably Randy. Its a Monkey listen - Monkey do for me! Charlie had made a very good comment about the firing order in another post.

Now, if its not an all out build, then by all means, get a cam off the shelf and save a couple of hundred for the pro comp upgrade. Basketball
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 12:33

If I get Kaase to say to fart in the intake it will be better does that make it better?

I would like to see proof, (on 2 cam same size exactly alike just dif firing order) on the very same engine done back to back on the same Dyno everything the exact same but the cam just having the different firing order swap..... That would be proof in black and white....These Pros that build these Big Pro engines they will jerk your wanger so you won't keep up with what they are building.....their secrets are just that their secrets....
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 12:34

This is from Kaase's 2005 engine master "Pontiac" article.

The engine has a changed firing order. It's a 1-8-7-3, or a 4-7 swap. Because of this firing order it seems like it caused some problems in the manifold, and it made the number eight cylinder lean all the time, but with a different order it would have been somewhere else. We went to that firing order on our bigger [race] engines, and our crank life improved, so I think it is better on a bigger engine, but on a single four-barrel, I'm not sure."

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/0606phr_2005_emc_jon_kaase_pontiac_engine/index.html#ixzz1dPYevjse

Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy Fri 11 Nov 2011 - 12:48

the Coug wrote:the Question is why change something that has worked for say what the last 40 or so years?

Oh I have some majic snake oil to sell only 8 bits a bottle, it cures all, aches and pains,it cleans stains on cloths, and you can drink it also Shocked

You must be the competition for "Brother Love's travelin' salvation show", LOL

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Firing order swap Empty Windsor / 5.0 Firing Order into a Big Block

Post  Outlawstock13 Mon 27 May 2013 - 5:09

New here. I was informed about this site at US60 Speedway 2013 event a week ago.

Everyone knows how Well the 302 was Transformed in the 80s with the 351 Windsor Firing Order. Apparently this FO is also far Less Stressful on the Crank and Bearings and the Mains. I performed this swap myself in 83 knowing how different/Better a 351 ran compared to a 302.

The 302 and 385s share the Same FO. I questioned Kaase Engines about the Use of the Windsor FO, if they ever tried it and I'd be Very Interested in Dyno Results of such a swap. I also asked why they do Not build Ford's Pro Stock Engines. I was emailed by Cliff Moore at Kaase and he informed me that they have, in fact, tested this FO. He said "it Made MORE Power, But our engines make so much power anyway, we don't feel the need". (???)

I feel that this cam/fo swap would make a Huge Difference like the Unleashing of the 5.0 and it would also Sound Different !!

Jim
Outlawstock13
Outlawstock13

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 Mon 27 May 2013 - 11:13

I am planning a couple of different mule engine BBFs for dyno testing of my heads and manifolds. This could be an interesting test. Baseline the engine, then just change a "swap" cam for an identical grind with conventional firing order. My 618 has the swap order on the 60 MM Comp stick. As I recall, our Comp rep recommended the feature for my application.
It would be much more cost effective to do the test with a standard journal cam...and not the 60mm.
More things to ponder and test....$$.
Thanks
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs Mon 27 May 2013 - 11:39

Wheelie58 wrote:I am planning a couple of different mule engine BBFs for dyno testing of my heads and manifolds. This could be an interesting test. Baseline the engine, then just change a "swap" cam for an identical grind with conventional firing order. My 618 has the swap order on the 60 MM Comp stick. As I recall, our Comp rep recommended the feature for my application.
It would be much more cost effective to do the test with a standard journal cam...and not the 60mm.
Thanks
Keith

It's only money Keith, you can't take it with you! Laughing Seriously though, I'd be interested in the results of an honest test like you're talking about. Keep us posted.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon Mon 27 May 2013 - 12:43

Wheelie58 wrote:I am planning a couple of different mule engine BBFs for dyno testing of my heads and manifolds. This could be an interesting test. Baseline the engine, then just change a "swap" cam for an identical grind with conventional firing order. My 618 has the swap order on the 60 MM Comp stick. As I recall, our Comp rep recommended the feature for my application.
Thanks
Keith

Hey Keith,you are OUR test mule. We always enjoy your tests. Keep up the good work brother. Me and Hobbs will save a spot for you at BG. If we're not there when you pull in,We've went for more BEER. drunken

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down