BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Internal and external balance flywheels

3 posters

Go down

Internal and external balance flywheels Empty Internal and external balance flywheels

Post  514Fox87 Wed 16 Sep 2009 - 23:07

This may sound stupid to some of you guys, but here goes anyway. I inherited the car I'm running now. Meaning someone else started the car and never finished. I tried to use what parts he had already bought to save Dad money. The problem is the car has a 460 crate from Ford which is an external balance engine. It has the counterweight in back of the balancer. I have been dealing with a vibration that at times causes the regulator needle to come unseated and flood the engine. Without pulling the engine or tranny how can I check to see if it has the right flywheel? It is a SFI flywheel but I'm beginning to think maybe it is internal balance. C-4 tranny.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Internal and external balance flywheels Empty Re: Internal and external balance flywheels

Post  chuck stevens Wed 16 Sep 2009 - 23:24

If there is no dust shield, on the front of the bellhousing, behind the oil pan, look to see if the front of the flywheel is smooth all the way around. IF it is...it's for a neutral balance setup AND you will need to change it.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Internal and external balance flywheels Empty Re: Internal and external balance flywheels

Post  the1969fordguyinky Thu 17 Sep 2009 - 16:10

Don't forget about the counter weight at on the front of the crank. An internal balance requires the 'sleeve' while external has the 'hatchet'
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 Thu 17 Sep 2009 - 21:08

I got under the car tonight and the flywheel is right. Thanks for the help.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down