BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best K-Member for my setup

+5
BOSS 429
Tennessee Bullitt
GTmustang
yellowhorse7
superchargedv8
9 posters

Go down

Best K-Member for my setup Empty Best K-Member for my setup

Post  superchargedv8 Thu 19 Jan 2012 - 22:43

I have a big block with mustang swap headers,new scj aluminum heads,flaming river rack and pinion with flaming river shaft, and the Moroso dual sump oil pan pn-18625. All of this is for a 90 fox body coupe..whats the best k Member for me...i don't want to run a plate setup....I would like to see pics of a similar setup if possible...Thanx!!

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Best K-Member for my setup Empty Re: Best K-Member for my setup

Post  yellowhorse7 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 12:13

Team Z by far. Others are fine but Dave will treat you right!!
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 18:31

i emailed him and he said that i can do a sbf k member with the swap motor mounts or plates...neither of which I'm wanting to do...i currently have a small block k member that has some pads welded on it but its all chopped up and rusty i just wanted something new that i wasn't going to have to hassle with...

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  GTmustang Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 18:45

AJE Racing makes a kmember that accepts their own design motormounts. SBF, BBF & Chevy are available.
www.ajeracing.com
Gary

GTmustang
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 19:02

there is a local aje k member i can get...will it work with the hooker super comp headers tho??? that was my main question with that k member

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  Tennessee Bullitt Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 20:35

AJE as well. The headders will work with the k-member but you might run into some issues with your steering shaft using those headders.
Tennessee Bullitt
Tennessee Bullitt

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 20:50

even if I'm using the flaming river rack and pinion and the flaming river steering shaft?

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 21:43

superchargedv8 wrote:i emailed him and he said that i can do a sbf k member with the swap motor mounts or plates...neither of which I'm wanting to do...i currently have a small block k member that has some pads welded on it but its all chopped up and rusty i just wanted something new that i wasn't going to have to hassle with...

why do you want another sb k member? why not just buy a bb custom made one?

in fact hooker makes a mount the fits stock sb horns,so if you had a k member with sb horns that would still work, best to call who ever made your headers

team z does make very nice stuff

Last edited by BOSS 429 on Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 0:35; edited 1 time in total
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 23:08

BOSS 429 wrote:
superchargedv8 wrote:i emailed him and he said that i can do a sbf k member with the swap motor mounts or plates...neither of which I'm wanting to do...i currently have a small block k member that has some pads welded on it but its all chopped up and rusty i just wanted something new that i wasn't going to have to hassle with...

why do you want another sb k member? why not just buy a bb one?

in fact hooker makes a mount the fits stock sb horns,so if you had a k member with sb horns that would still work, best to call who ever made your headers

team z does make very nice stuff

I don't want another small block k member??? i want a bbf k member for my fox but so far all I've been offered is a sbf k member with the swap mounts which i don't want btw...My engine is in the car but like i said the k member is a bit rough from being hacked up and welded so if someone were to make a bbf specific k member to fit in my fox body without any modifications then id like to have that...the aje k member is unique in which the k members mounts are bolt on so you can bolt on several different engine mounts on it to make whatever engine your running work in the car.BUT I'm unsure if my setup will work with it...so far i know that the headers will clear BUT i need to know if the steering shaft will clear the headers. ANYONE here know??

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 23:15

ok, but thats it, they make the k member with a std horn,and you buy the 429 460 swap mounts,done

the std horn ( sbf ) is what they use
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle Fri 20 Jan 2012 - 23:43

No one makes a "BBF" k-member. They're all SBF units with swap motor mounts. That being said if you have Hookers then you need to find out what k-member was used in the design of those headers. It's most likely a stock one so the typical D&D, QA1, etc... stuff should work. If you want some top of the line stuff though go for PA or TRZ.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 0:25

Why do you NOT want a motor plate, it solves a lot of problems, just askin. I believe AJE makes a k member for a BBF.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowhorse7 Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 1:26

And don't say a motor plate is only for a race car cuz it'll work fine in a street car. Cylinder strength, better header/steering clearence, better motor placement, etc, etc, etc.
yellowhorse7
yellowhorse7

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 2:18

i just don't like the motor plate look...yeah I'm picky...lol Right now with the k member i have the motor is low and pushed back and my Pan sits about a quarter inch above the steering rack and the shaft clears the headers BUT like i said k member is all hacked up since it started as a sbf k member.....I just wanted something nice to replace what i have now....thats all..Its starting to be a bit of a hassle so i think what I'm gonna do is just take my k member out and clean it up and re-powder coat it...ill try to put up some pics when i get around to doing it...Thanks for the help guys.

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 12:03

I run a QA1 kmember with motor mounts and ran the hooker supercomps with no issues for clearance anywhere. I just had to set the pass header in as the motor went in even with the 2 pipes off. I am now switching to motor plates with new set-up though if that helps
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  superchargedv8 Sat 21 Jan 2012 - 19:37

I found an article from the magazine hotrodder and they did a swap with the same heads,headers,oil pan...without modifying anything...so I'm going for the aje Kmember with the universal engine mount style...im getting the bbf mounts for it and it should fit without a prob...just thought id post it up so other people with the same parts can use this same method instead of having to go to a plate setup

superchargedv8

Back to top Go down

Post  stanggt Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 13:23

superchargedv8 wrote:I found an article from the magazine hotrodder and they did a swap with the same heads,headers,oil pan...without modifying anything...so I'm going for the aje Kmember with the universal engine mount style...im getting the bbf mounts for it and it should fit without a prob...just thought id post it up so other people with the same parts can use this same method instead of having to go to a plate setup
im going with a plate set up cause it gives me the opprtunity to lower and move back/move engine exactly where I want it to be. Its just a personal preference. There is multple ways and kmembers that can be used to drop a BBF into a fox.jmo
stanggt
stanggt

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra Sun 5 Feb 2012 - 10:04

I've done the 460/C6 swap with two mustangs a 84 an a 90 which im doing now the 84 has a Qa1 the 90 has a upr, i like both but the upr is chromemoly so its lighter, and both cars used the motorsports swap pan and hooker 6224 swap headers, the 84 swap mounts were from holcomb motorsports they were the kind with the thick aluminum plate in the middle, the 90 mounts were the ones that didnt have the plate in the middle and both work fine. The steering shaft in the 84 was homemade the 90 has the flaming river and both hit the headers, i cut and welded the headers on the 84 but on the 90 im going to extend the shaft vs. cut and weld the headers, working on it last nite its the upper u joint that hits the headers like normal, the bottem one on the rack clears fine and the upper will clear as long as i get the u joint closer to the steering shaft coming outta the firewall and if thats not going to fix it moroso makes some smaller dia. u joints that would work without trying to move it closer to the firewall,the flaming river is a nice piece but big dia. u joints, also curtis universal joints in Springfield Mass makes all kinds and sizes www.curtisuniversal.com , Its gonna be an easy fix (well vs. cutting and welding the headers) I'll post pics as i get it done.
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  nuclearcobra Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 15:06

I got a borgsen u joint from jegs its 1'' dia. and flaming river makes them too but there 63 bucks vs. 45 i payed and its the same thing, its fits in the headers where the flaming river isnt even close cause its almost 2'' in dia. Most people say the hooker swap headers for the fox suck and i said it also. But they go in and out with ease and this is the second fox ive done with the 6224 swap headers, its the shaft that doesent clear,and this time i didnt want to cut and reweld the tubes to clear the shaft so i got the smaller u joint instead,i'll post pics how it clears today when im done welding the new joint to the shaft. Best K-Member for my setup Th_IMG_2150
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Best K-Member for my setup Empty Fits like a charm

Post  nuclearcobra Sat 11 Feb 2012 - 19:59

Best K-Member for my setup Th_IMG_2159 Best K-Member for my setup Th_IMG_2161 Best K-Member for my setup Th_IMG_2167 Best K-Member for my setup Th_IMG_2170
nuclearcobra
nuclearcobra
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down