BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I didnt make the rules!

5 posters

Go down

I didnt make the rules! Empty I didnt make the rules!

Post  papamoe January 28th 2012, 6:16 pm

470ci limit,iron heads with stock valve locations, 4150 carb,flat tappet cam,gas only. Small blocks up to 410ci with the same rules and a 200 lb break. I wander how bbf would stack up against bbc witch we all know will compete. I researched the heads a bit but I cant tell witch iron head would be the best and also able to find.I already have a block bored to 4.440 and hard blocked that i chickened out of using on my 557.Could you offset grind a 460 crank to make it work or would you go a different way?The flat tappet cam deal scares me also.Can you make enough power with this combo that a flat tappet would not be durable because of spring pressure or is this not an issue?Its sopposed to be a poor boy 1/8 mile heads up but i guess its like the last class i built for it wont stay that way long..

papamoe

Back to top Go down

I didnt make the rules! Empty Re: I didnt make the rules!

Post  69F100 January 28th 2012, 6:29 pm

Find a set of dooe cj heads that will be a factory valve layout as they cam on production 429 cj .I run dove-c heads with stock size valves on a 460 cid with a solid flat tappet cam ran the best up to now a 6.78 in the 1/8 with no tuning on it,it still has some more in it.I don't think a bbc with the same setup will touch a bbf so they will be cheating I bet you.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe January 28th 2012, 6:37 pm

What does your rig weigh?

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 28th 2012, 7:01 pm

3265 with me in it
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 28th 2012, 7:27 pm

papamoe wrote:470ci limit,iron heads with stock valve locations, 4150 carb,flat tappet cam,gas only. Small blocks up to 410ci with the same rules and a 200 lb break. I wander how bbf would stack up against bbc witch we all know will compete. I researched the heads a bit but I cant tell witch iron head would be the best and also able to find.I already have a block bored to 4.440 and hard blocked that i chickened out of using on my 557.Could you offset grind a 460 crank to make it work or would you go a different way?The flat tappet cam deal scares me also.Can you make enough power with this combo that a flat tappet would not be durable because of spring pressure or is this not an issue?Its sopposed to be a poor boy 1/8 mile heads up but i guess its like the last class i built for it wont stay that way long..

OEM cast iron heads?

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe January 28th 2012, 8:53 pm

It dosent stipulate OEM just stock valve angels and configuration. They are not real ford minded so i dont want to do any thing to draw attention to the heads but i want the best combo i can figure out without being too exotic.

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 28th 2012, 9:16 pm

papamoe wrote:It dosent stipulate OEM just stock valve angels and configuration. They are not real ford minded so i dont want to do any thing to draw attention to the heads but i want the best combo i can figure out without being too exotic.

Sounds like the Chevrolets will be using aftermarket cast iron heads. Lots of companies make those. However, how particular is the inspection going to be???
All of those aftermarket iron heads for Chevrolets have the intake valve angle changed 2 degrees from 26 degrees to 24 degrees. (I will make a bet that they are allowed anyway).

Cast Iron Blue Thunder heads will be your best option IF you can find 'em ... they haven't been produced since 1998.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe January 28th 2012, 10:14 pm

I asked about the bbc iron eagle because of the 2 degree change.They also have raised ports. I asked via a forum and have not got an answer yet.If they do allow them then its on like donky kong!!!!

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 January 28th 2012, 10:19 pm

papamoe wrote:I asked about the bbc iron eagle because of the 2 degree change.They also have raised ports. I asked via a forum and have not got an answer yet.If they do allow them then its on like donky kong!!!!

EX-514..................... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  papamoe January 28th 2012, 10:39 pm

What about the 470ci. Should i use the 4.440 block and destroke or use stock stroke and smaller bore? I have a standard block also but it lacks any machine work. Id think you would want to keep the rotating assembly as light as possible but havent figured out the exact route to go yet.

papamoe

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave January 29th 2012, 8:50 am

With the 4.44" bore, to meet the rules the stroke will need to be just shy of 3.8". If your allowed the aftermarket choices mentioned by Randy and Blake, your deal should run very well with an aggressive camshaft and modified carburetor.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down