BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mud racing suspension (shocks)

4 posters

Go down

mud racing suspension (shocks) Empty mud racing suspension (shocks)

Post  racinghabbit March 27th 2012, 1:31 pm

for straight line mud racing is it better to have a stiff for soft front shocks in the suspension??
and the same question for the rear...
This is regarding shocks only..
i was thinking stiff front shocks in the front and soft in the rear.. but i'm looking for more info..
94 ranger with 460...4x4
racinghabbit
racinghabbit

Back to top Go down

mud racing suspension (shocks) Empty Re: mud racing suspension (shocks)

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 27th 2012, 8:35 pm

I'm not a mud guy but I would think there really is no one-size-fits-all "best" answer here because of how much any mud pit can vary (tacky, soupy, dry, etc) from hour to hour during an event, or track to track.

Pulling a wild ass guess outa my butt I guess a sticky/tacky mud pit can probably use tigher shock valving settings, and a slicker/looser mud pit probably needs looser shock valving.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 March 28th 2012, 8:11 am

On my truck I used a bilstien 90/10 front shock with 9 inches of travel(changed to 14 inches after breaking one) and a rancho 50/50 hydraulic shock on the rear.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  kjett March 28th 2012, 11:59 am

I can tell you that on my little ranger with a 466 that pulls a 200' flat track in 4 seconds ( Very Happy ) or less what I run. Up front I run a Competition Engineering 3 way drag shock set at the 90/10 setting and out back I run a set of QA1 coilover shocks. None of this will matter if you don't have your springs and the rest of the suspension right. And depending on your class rules as to what you can get away with. For me, I had to leave at least 1 leaf spring, so I'm running a monoleaf with housing floater and spring sliders basically to locate the axle left to right while the ladder bars and coilovers are doing all the work. The front is a set of 1/2 ton coil springs with the drag shocks. I set mine up very similar to the way a drag car is set up, and have adjustments I can shange for track conditions. Usually it's been the same settings on the shocks. I don't know much, but my junk does hook:

https://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb331/old_blue1/?action=view&current=Karl9-10-11.mp4
kjett
kjett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down