BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block

4 posters

Go down

looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block Empty looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block

Post  sskwb April 24th 2012, 10:48 am

Does anyone have a copy of the instruction sheet from ford for a A96 block they can e-mail or fax me? if so please pm me.

sskwb

Back to top Go down

looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block Empty Re: looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block

Post  Wheelie58 April 24th 2012, 1:07 pm

There should be one at the ESI shop. I will look later today and let you know.
Thanks,
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block Empty Re: looking for info on ford a96 aluminum block

Post  sskwb April 24th 2012, 6:45 pm

Frank thanks for looking, let me know

sskwb

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 April 25th 2012, 12:53 am

Ok...we struck out. The archive search at ESI netted instructions for the original classic Motorsport A460 heads....A500 block...A600 block, but no A96. Ted wonders if there were actual instuctions published, since he built several of them and has no sheets in the library.
It was worth a try...
sorry..
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sskwb April 25th 2012, 8:21 am

Thanks for looking.
OK, so the next ? are the oil restriction instruction for the a96 the same as an a460 block?
Does anybody have the torq spec for the alum block i'm assuming they are not the same as the a460 C/I block

sskwb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 25th 2012, 9:35 am

The oil restrictors are different from the A460...they go in the rear of the lifter gallerys...one in the passenger side and one in the drives side...about 1/16" hole seems to work good. Plug the front of the gallery. The oil crosses over to the driverside outside the o.d. of the #5 cam bearing...unlike the A460 which crosses in the lifter valley like the production blocks.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno April 25th 2012, 9:45 am

from rdi

Main Studs:.............30 lb-ft (to seat studs into block)
Main Stud Nuts:.....110 lb-ft
Socket Head Bolts...100 lb-ft

Head Studs:........... 40 lb-ft (to seat studs into block)
Head Stud Nuts:.... 155 lb-ft on the six(6) center studs
.............................. 140 lb-ft on the four(4) end studs

* Use engine oil as lube on all threads, bolt heads, nuts and washer surfaces.

from frpp

Main studs nuts torque 110 lb-ft, the outer socket head main bolts torque 100 lb-ft.

Head stud nuts; 145 lb-ft on the six(6) center studs, 130lb-ft on the four(4) end studs.

Use engine oil as lube on all threads, bolt heads, nuts and washer surfaces.

It also says in the instructions to seat the main & head studs into the block with 15 lb-ft.

not the bible ...ask Lem for specifics

from your copy and paste king

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  sskwb April 25th 2012, 10:12 am

Lem Evans wrote:The oil restrictors are different from the A460...they go in the rear of the lifter gallerys...one in the passenger side and one in the drives side...about 1/16" hole seems to work good. Plug the front of the gallery. The oil crosses over to the driverside outside the o.d. of the #5 cam bearing...unlike the A460 which crosses in the lifter valley like the production blocks.

Lem,
Thank you !
This is my 1st go-round with a non-production block, let along alum. Is there anything else diff. about the alum block in the oil or coolant system?Do you adjust your oil clearences on the mains because of the billet caps and alum block materiel difference?

sskwb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 25th 2012, 10:13 am

Main Studs:.............30 lb-ft (to seat studs into block)
Main Stud Nuts:.....110 lb-ft
Socket Head Bolts...100 lb-ft

---------------------------------------------------

I would not go more than 85-90 lbs ft on the outer studs at #1 & #5 main caps. The 1 and 5 housing bores are bad to close up....#5 more so than #1.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 27th 2012, 4:32 pm

Another thing to consider:
The head of the sleeves are generally above the deck of a new block....I'd use a tq. plate and head gasket, tq'ed to 135-140 lbs. ft. , to set the sleeves before any block machining is done. Letting the assembly set a few hours or overnite would not hurt a thing i.m.o.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 3rd 2012, 6:37 pm

Any updates?

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  sskwb May 4th 2012, 8:52 am

Lem, thanks for checking back.
Bruno, thanks for your help with the torq specs.
To make a long story short ,I was able to purchase a complete but dissasembled alum block, c-460 head, 598 project at a fair price that someone started about 10 years ago, unfortunately that person is no longer with us so i have very little info. As i mentioned before this type of motor is somewhat uncharted territory for me so i'm proceding slowly trying to ID parts, gather infomation on the parts and what the thought process was for the build, then establish a budget and a time table.
What i know at this point is, all parts appear to be new with most ? machine work done.
parts list:
a96 alum block 4.600 bore needs finish piston fit and hone
crower 4.50 billet crank
oliver 6.8 rods
wiseco -47cc dished pistons ( for sale ? changing to Flat top for NA?)
c- 460 heads (still need to ID valve type, size ect.) Mild port work- I have flow #s but don't know who did the heads
crane roller cam with Offset roller lifter
complete Crower 1.7 ratio individual rocker assembly
danny bee belt drive
ect....... somebody spent a boat load of $$$$
I'm assuming with the full dished Piston this was to be some type of a boosted application.
At 1st a thought a street motor but there is Zero squelch with the full dish and way to much intake timing for that to make sense.
This motor is for a bracket race Dragster so i don't need 1300hp what i'd like is 900+- super reliable Hp.
I'm currently run a low 8.sec A429 headed motor
At some point i'll post the flow #'s and cam specs for discussion.

But like everything else this is a budget driven project so it won't happen over night.

Sorry for rambling but now you know the "rest of the story"

Kurt

sskwb

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans May 5th 2012, 9:54 am

Cool Looks like you have some nice engine stuff.

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down