BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions please

+11
DanH
cool40
bigblok2000ranger
Mike R
schmitty
LivermoreDave
quick 52
Race Ready Fabrications
QtrWarrior
f250mike
Dave De
15 posters

Go down

Opinions please Empty Opinions please

Post  Dave De June 21st 2012, 8:50 pm

What would you do in this case?
You sold a used torque converter to someone on the forum and they ran it where it failed after only 9 runs with 4 runs at 1/4 mile. The failure sent frags (bearing and stator pieces) into the trans and pretty much wiped it out. The converter was represented to handle the level of power by the purchaser.
Should there be compensation here? What would you expect to do as fair compensation?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Opinions please Empty Re: Opinions please

Post  f250mike June 21st 2012, 9:53 pm

I buy and sell used parts "As Is".
I don't buy or sell alot of parts but understand that used is used.
If you want to compensate the purchaser good for you. Don't feel obligated.
Just my 2 cents!
mike
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  QtrWarrior June 21st 2012, 9:57 pm

f250mike wrote:I buy and sell used parts "As Is".
I don't buy or sell alot of parts but understand that used is used.
If you want to compensate the purchaser good for you. Don't feel obligated.
Just my 2 cents!
mike

What Mike said, plus...How do you know that the buyer didn't do something to damage it...Intentionally or unintentionally..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  Race Ready Fabrications June 21st 2012, 10:19 pm

^^^I agree with these guys. Buying used parts is a gamble. I've bought used parts 10 years ago that I still use today, then had some that barley made it out of the box. Just part of it.....
Race Ready Fabrications
Race Ready Fabrications

Back to top Go down

Post  quick 52 June 21st 2012, 10:41 pm

Dave De wrote:What would you do in this case?
You sold a used torque converter to someone on the forum and they ran it where it failed after only 9 runs with 4 runs at 1/4 mile. The failure sent frags (bearing and stator pieces) into the trans and pretty much wiped it out. The converter was represented to handle the level of power by the purchaser.
Should there be compensation here? What would you expect to do as fair compensation?

Thanks,
Dave
well i think i would tell op that you would like to send Dale aka quick 52 on a trip to hawaii for a couple weeks as compensation and that should ease his pain and your's

quick 52

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave June 21st 2012, 11:05 pm

Dave De wrote: The converter was represented to handle the level of power by the purchaser.

Unless a guarantee was part of the sell, used parts that perform, once installed, usually don't offer much of a refund. Although if you did offer compensation, IMO the buyer should be grateful to deal with such a honest and caring individual. Not to say any less would be dishonest!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty June 21st 2012, 11:21 pm

Even new race parts don't usually come with any guarantee. Race parts can and do fail at any time and any honest racer should know that. If you desire to help out on the damage that is a standup deal on your part. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R June 21st 2012, 11:29 pm

He bought it, he used it , he broke it, it's his problem. That's the risk you take when you buy used parts. sometimes the money you save ends up costing more.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger June 21st 2012, 11:37 pm

Can the converter be fixed? Perhaps agree to pay half the cost of the converter repair but not exceed the price you sold it for, the purchaser sould assume responsibility for the trans damage using used parts.

That is what I would do or offer.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 21st 2012, 11:39 pm

i've bought new parts that failed and got nothing but a reason "i" caused it. Rolling Eyes just remember,i aint broke till it broke. Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH June 22nd 2012, 4:36 am

Dave De wrote:What would you do in this case?

Thanks,
Dave

TQ/Conv. pretty much wipe out the trans ??????????????????? seen a lot oh tq/c fail and not one wiped out the trans

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick532 June 22nd 2012, 2:23 pm

used parts are just that , used . no implication as to how long they will last . if you want to help the person out well thats good for you .

maverick532

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 22nd 2012, 6:14 pm

I appreciate all of your viewpionts and you are totally siding with the seller except for Eric. I am actually the buyer and the seller doesnt seem interested in any compensation what so ever. I wrote this from the sellers perspective to not get a bias from my side. I guess I wont press it with the seller who is on this site even though I believe the converter was bad when I received it. And yes there is no warranty but I had a thought that buying from forum members was above the norm. What I learned is that money rules over all else.

For the record if I was the seller there would have been a refund for the cost of the converter even when I'm standing alone on this.

Dave

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon June 23rd 2012, 6:25 am

If it performed good for that many passes IMO the owner did'nt know of any problems. Buying used parts is a gamble. Even new parts can fail. It is what it is. This has happened to me through the years,But in no way can I blame the seller. JMO of course.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 23rd 2012, 9:56 am

Unfortunately, most WILL lean to the seller, as used is used. But myself, when I sell something, I disclose absolutely everything about the parts I sell and IF there's a problem, I do everything in my power to ensure customer satisfaction. Any used part that I sell is backed "to some degree". If the part was said to be good, and all of a sudden it's not?? Well, then the glass is either half full, or half empty. Did the seller miss something? Possibly. Did something go awry in your set-up all of a sudden? Possibly. One may never know. But if I had sold it, I would certainly not just tell you you're S.O.L. and to just go pound sand... But that's me... And just my .02 ...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 23rd 2012, 10:05 am

bbf-falcon wrote:If it performed good for that many passes IMO the owner did'nt know of any problems. Buying used parts is a gamble. Even new parts can fail. It is what it is. This has happened to me through the years,But in no way can I blame the seller. JMO of course.

I know what you are saying and I appreciate all that have posted here. I need to change my position based upon the comments given on this topic. My standards have been to not buy certain items used such as rods, cranks and converters but the fact that this item was sold on the forum it got the better of me. But live and learn its only metal and money not flesh and bones so I'll adjust and move on.

Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 June 23rd 2012, 10:08 am

i bought a new c4 and converter from a "name brand"many years ago.the transbrake did'nt work and welded some clutches up in one pass.they'd fix it if i shipped it back Rolling Eyes i got a new PA valve body,had a local guy go through it and the next time out the high gear clutches failed,they came in it too and looked fine on the first look.needless to say the converter never did stall what it was ordered to do so i took it to PTC,cut it open and OMG! the guy at PTC guessed where the converter came from :lol:sometimes a used part is better,it "has"worked already.lol
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 23rd 2012, 10:12 am

ThndrChkn wrote:Unfortunately, most WILL lean to the seller, as used is used. But myself, when I sell something, I disclose absolutely everything about the parts I sell and IF there's a problem, I do everything in my power to ensure customer satisfaction. Any used part that I sell is backed "to some degree". If the part was said to be good, and all of a sudden it's not?? Well, then the glass is either half full, or half empty. Did the seller miss something? Possibly. Did something go awry in your set-up all of a sudden? Possibly. One may never know. But if I had sold it, I would certainly not just tell you you're S.O.L. and to just go pound sand... But that's me... And just my .02 ...

Doug,
Our ethics on this are similar and I will keep them as a seller but as a buyer I will not expect others to have the same standard. We want to make sure that others are satisfied without a doubt.
Dave
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 June 23rd 2012, 10:15 am

One of the issues with Internet / long distance sales..... People seem to act a little different face to face.

Are you sure something in the Trans didn't fail and cause the convertor damage?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De June 23rd 2012, 10:39 am

dfree383 wrote:One of the issues with Internet / long distance sales..... People seem to act a little different face to face.

Are you sure something in the Trans didn't fail and cause the convertor damage?

The converter failed first without a doubt. It was cut open, photos were taken and sent to the seller. The trans and converter have been rebuilt.

Long distance internet sales is so impersonal. Moreover it seems I only buy from dealers when this stuff happens.

Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down