BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season could be over early.

+7
Wheelie58
dfree383
BOSS 429
IDT-572
Barney
richter69
514Fox87
11 posters

Go down

Season could be over early. Empty Season could be over early.

Post  514Fox87 September 10th 2012, 9:18 pm

On the second round of elim. yesterday I launched and pulled second and something broke in the tranny. No gears but no fluid loss either. Pulled the trans tonight hoping it had broke on input shaft but I wasn't that lucky. The car needs a glide but I can't bring myself to put a Goverment Motors trans in the car. Plus it isn't just the trans, it is gears, driveshaft converter, shifter etc. By the time I buy all that I may as well put a G-Force in it( which is the direction I want to go anyway.) Automatics are ok but boring! Laughing Thinking maybe the planetary is broke but won't know till the tranny man calls. I'm just not going to put a lot more money in this C-4 for it to happen again. Every year it has been apart and I only get 50 passes or so out of it.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Season could be over early. Empty Re: Season could be over early.

Post  richter69 September 10th 2012, 9:29 pm

Just put the glide in it and quit screwing with it!!!!!

It will be faster and wont break all the time........... me and a lots others go bottom 1.20 60's and its anything but boring lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 10th 2012, 11:04 pm

I loved my C4, but it always let me down at the least opportune time. Put a glide in the car and love it.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 10th 2012, 11:20 pm

X2 same here went to a glide and never looked back, besides mine is a racing two speed transmission Laughing not a glide Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 10th 2012, 11:31 pm

514Fox87 wrote:On the second round of elim. yesterday I launched and pulled second and something broke in the tranny. No gears but no fluid loss either. Pulled the trans tonight hoping it had broke on input shaft but I wasn't that lucky. The car needs a glide but I can't bring myself to put a Goverment Motors trans in the car. Plus it isn't just the trans, it is gears, driveshaft converter, shifter etc. By the time I buy all that I may as well put a G-Force in it( which is the direction I want to go anyway.) Automatics are ok but boring! Laughing Thinking maybe the planetary is broke but won't know till the tranny man calls. I'm just not going to put a lot more money in this C-4 for it to happen again. Every year it has been apart and I only get 50 passes or so out of it.

50 passes is about right in a fast car,then it should come apart
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 11th 2012, 12:05 am

IDT-572 wrote:X2 same here went to a glide and never looked back, besides mine is a racing two speed transmission Laughing not a glide Cool

Amen.....
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 11th 2012, 1:00 am

It was a big deal (to me) changing from my C6 to a 2 speed.
I began calling it a "non Ford two speed racing transmission" to amuse my Chevy buddies.
It makes it easier to not consider it a GM Trans if you use an aftermarket case to disguise it. Suspect
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 11th 2012, 4:00 am

If the ancient rumors are true the Glide was originally a Ford design anyway.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 11th 2012, 10:45 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:If the ancient rumors are true the Glide was originally a Ford design anyway.

According to tha Coug this is true............... Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 11th 2012, 11:05 am

Ford developed its first three-speed automatic transmission in 1950 for the 1951 model year. Designed by Borg-Warner, it featured a planetary gearset and torque converter with three forward gears and one reverse. It had a cast-iron housing with its bell housing either cast iron or aluminum. The transmission started in second gear, and then shifted to third. Drivers could only use first gear by manually shifting. A separate and slightly larger version of the Ford-O-Matic was the Merc-O-Matic. An even larger version transmitted engine power for 1958-to-1965 Lincolns. Ford renamed the transmission the Cruise-O-Matic in 1958, and the FMX 10 years later. By the 1970s, Ford dropped the brand nomenclature as automatics became more common and simply gave them numerical designations. The Ford-O-Matic gear ratios were 2.40-to-1 for first, 1.47-to-1 for second and 1.00-to-1 for third.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn September 11th 2012, 11:37 am

IDT-572 wrote:
DILLIGASDAVE wrote:If the ancient rumors are true the Glide was originally a Ford design anyway.

According to tha Coug this is true............... Wink

I was told of this by my grandpa many years ago. "IF" what he told me was true, GM got the design from Ford, made some subtle changes in the design, and sold it as their own. My grandpa says it was so they wouldn't have to admit it was a Ford design first... LOL!!
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 11th 2012, 12:50 pm

It's a MIND thing Rolling Eyes The Chevy guy's don't let pride get in the way when it's time for a 9" housing /gears.

Get you a 2 speed and go racing. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 11th 2012, 1:00 pm

who gives a crap who made it, just go with what works.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney September 11th 2012, 1:43 pm

Just gets old doing the tranny shuffle every 15 passes.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 11th 2012, 2:07 pm

It is easier to run the glide for different reasons, helps Calm the launch thru different gear ratios, less moving parts ,larger clutches, larger case which helps aid in keeping it cooler , all of the parts are not 40 plus year old, less likely to break and burn up.

I to don't want to run a power glide just out of pride , and because I build my own transmissions.
I also don't make enough power and don't ever see myself making enough power to warrant a 2spd racing or gm power glide trans.

If you aren't a fan of the glide put a c-6 in it or go back with to the c-4!

The glide for what you are doing will serve your purpose as all of the others have stated.

Time money ahead
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 11th 2012, 2:13 pm

whitefield wrote:It is easier to run the glide for different reasons, helps Calm the launch thru different gear ratios, less moving parts ,larger clutches, larger case which helps aid in keeping it cooler , all of the parts are not 40 plus year old, less likely to break and burn up.

I to don't want to run a power glide just out of pride , and because I build my own transmissions.
I also don't make enough power and don't ever see myself making enough power to warrant a 2spd racing or gm power glide trans.

The glide for what you are doing will serve your purpose as all of the others have stated.

Time money ahead

Well said Mike, with only one exception Hp is addictive, you will probably turn into a hp junky before it's over and need a glide HP is a terrible thing for us Ford guys Laughing Cool

The last thing I wanted to do was go to a glide.............. Rolling Eyes
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 11th 2012, 3:34 pm

whitefield wrote:It is easier to run the glide for different reasons, helps Calm the launch thru different gear ratios, less moving parts ,larger clutches, larger case which helps aid in keeping it cooler , all of the parts are not 40 plus year old, less likely to break and burn up.

Time money ahead

its not just because of the glide,my car likes 3 gears, heck with making the car hit softer, I WANT IT TO HIT THE TIRES as hard as it can.
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 11th 2012, 3:38 pm

BOSS 429 wrote:

Time money ahead

its not just because of the glide,my car likes 3 gears, heck with making the car hit softer, I WANT IT TO HIT THE TIRES as hard as it can.

Gear it optimal for the eight shift light on at the line in high gear and see how it launches. Shocked

His comment was made for guys that run 1/8 mile and 28x10.5's a assume.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 September 12th 2012, 7:55 am

Looks llike the tranny broke a hub. Gonna be fixed and back in for the weekend so my season continues. Very Happy But looks like I will have to break down and put the glide in this winter. Don't want to but not much other choice.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 12th 2012, 8:45 am

It took me a little getting comfortable with. It seems like it took forever for the first shift,but I was just use to the quick shift of the 3 speed after the launch.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 September 12th 2012, 9:10 am

Glad your getting it back together and racing.............. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 12th 2012, 9:13 am

IDT-572 wrote:Glad your getting it back together and racing.............. Cool

X2
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down