BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hunting season is done early.....

+4
5pointslow
70FB
Dave C.
ThndrChkn
8 posters

Go down

My hunting season is done early..... Empty My hunting season is done early.....

Post  ThndrChkn November 6th 2013, 10:43 am

Well, my week started pretty good.  I was off Monday so I thought I'd call my friend Jon and head out to see if I could fill my deer tag... We drove about 85 miles north of town here to a piece of private land I was able to access for my kids and I a couple years ago...

After we got there, we spotted this young female coyote about 8:00 AM, and she took off for a safer environment...  As you can see she never found that spot...  LOL!!  I swung through her as she ran full tilt across a alfalfa field and as I passed through her and took what I thought was a comfortable lead, I broke the trigger on the 6.5x284 and rolled her ... The shot was ranged afterward at 165 yds and the Hornady sleeping pill she injested struck her in the neck, making the landowner much happier that day... After this happened, I knew it was gonna be a good day...  I never shoot at, let alone hit a running target...  LOL!!
My hunting season is done early..... 08ed

Well, after a few hours of walking and glassing, we spotted a herd of about 10 whitetails, so we figured we'd give em a shot...  We got within about 1/2 mile of them and planned our final stalk. As we inched up the final "grassy knoll" we noticed a doe feeding 250 yds away, so we decided to wait and see if she would feed back down to the barley field below so we could get to the next knoll to get a look at the field and see what was there for sure. Then as she started feeding away from us, this guy stood up in the tall grass to stretch his legs from his mid-morning nap... The shot was 250 yds and I gave this guy a dirt nap with the 2nd Hornady sleeping pill of the day... Cool To top it off, my friend Jon had a doe tag and as luck would have it one of the does was standing there checking out all the excitement so I handed him the rifle and I called out with a few fawn bauls to keep her from running and he gave her a little dirt nap as well...  We got it all on video too, so when I get it I'll post it up for ya'll to see...  Yep! All in all it was a pretty good day in the huntin fields...

My hunting season is done early..... Ea8z
My hunting season is done early..... Rfwl

The buck weighed 201# dressed on the check station scale, and the doe weighed 144#...

So, my season is finished early, but my daughter still has her deer tag and my son still has his deer and elk tags taking up space in their pockets...

Just thought I'd share:

Thanks guys,

Last edited by ThndrChkn on November 6th 2013, 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

My hunting season is done early..... Empty Re: My hunting season is done early.....

Post  Dave C. November 6th 2013, 11:07 am

I can't believe the local critters still get within 10 miles of your place...You'd think the word would spread by now.... !!!!!!!! heck of a shot.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

My hunting season is done early..... Empty Re: My hunting season is done early.....

Post  ThndrChkn November 6th 2013, 11:31 am

LOL!! That's why we drove 85 miles...Laughing Laughing 
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB November 6th 2013, 12:20 pm

Congratulations and man thats some pretty country up there. We are in blackpowder for deer now. Gun season starts on the 16th. I'm looking forward to it.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow November 7th 2013, 8:23 am

im from New england so maybe this sounds dumb but

when do you guys get snow over there ? we usually get snow starting towards the end of Nov begining of DeCember in MA . im assuming its colder there a lot earlier than over here

Awesome pics !!

I have my TC omega all ready just waiting to start in DEC.

5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn November 7th 2013, 11:58 am

5pointslow wrote:im from New england so maybe this sounds dumb but

when do you guys get snow over there ? we usually get snow starting towards the end of Nov begining of DeCember in MA . im assuming its colder there a lot earlier than over here  

Awesome pics !!  

I have my TC omega all ready just waiting to start in DEC.

Thanks for the compliments... Here in Montana, we can and have gotten snow as early as Sept as far as snow hanging around. On occasion we've even gotten snow in July!!
LOL!!
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger November 7th 2013, 6:52 pm

Good shooting Doug, I haven't been hunting since my grandfather passed away but I miss it. I got a fishing license last year for the first time this year since him passing so maybe next year. Last time I went I shot a 16 pointer that jumped over the fence on my grandpas land and dropped and the people hunting on the nieghbor's property tagged it.

Last edited by bigblok2000ranger on November 7th 2013, 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 7th 2013, 7:49 pm

16 point white tail, should have called the records people out, Would have had your name in the books.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger November 7th 2013, 8:28 pm

kim wrote:16 point white tail, should have called the records people out,  Would have had your name in the books.
scratch

http://www.wi-buck-bear.org/RecordWhiteTail/whitetaildeer_Results.php?S_DClass=N&S_DMethod=G&S_DScore=&S_DPoints=14&S_DPoints2=24&S_DCountyOfKill=Jackson&S_DYearOfKill=1900&S_DYearOfKill2=2013&Search.x=45&Search.y=9
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 7th 2013, 10:32 pm

I grew up in Fond du Lac county, hunted the Kettle Morain Sate Forest as well as lots of farm land around it. 16 point is still going to score in most county record books. Its been a long long long time since I was in that neighborhood, but my best was a simple 8 point that butcherd out at 220lbs of meat. Field dress, probably close to 250. Corn fed deer get bigger than the grass fed prairie stuff.... tastes a whole lot different too. More like beef.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblok2000ranger November 8th 2013, 12:26 am

I may have mistook your response, this thing was huge and graying probably quite old. I was beyond pissed about the whole deal because they wouldn't let me cross the fence line and tag it. My grandpa owned a Christmas tree farm just outside of Melrose. My dad and uncle were making a drive and I was ten yards from the fenceline the buck literally ran ten yards after I shot it jumped the fence and dropped dead on the other side. I was in High School at the time at Melrose-Mindoro high school and there was a biggest buck contest at school and I would have won by a long shot if the "neighbors" had done the right thing and let me tag my kill.

Sorry to muddy up your thread Doug, great shooting!

I grew up in Fond du Lac county, hunted the Kettle Morain Sate Forest as well as lots of farm land around it. 16 point is still going to score in most county record books. Its been a long long long time since I was in that neighborhood, but my best was a simple 8 point that butcherd out at 220lbs of meat. Field dress, probably close to 250. Corn fed deer get bigger than the grass fed prairie stuff.... tastes a whole lot different too. More like beef.

You ever come up this way anymore? I have lived in Rock county most of my life but my grandfather and his brothers were big into Christmas trees in the seventy and eighties up around Jackson and Trempelou(sp) counties, matter of fact I paid for my first car with money I earned shearing Christmas trees.
bigblok2000ranger
bigblok2000ranger

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn November 10th 2013, 12:13 am

No biggie... Just get your butt out and shoot somethin ...Very Happy 
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. November 14th 2013, 10:41 am

A local deer hunter was attacked by an owl while sitting in his tree stand! It tried to gouge out his eyes..

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  79Puller November 16th 2013, 10:20 am

Those are some healthy looking deer nice size to them. Did any of you guys ever hunt the mid-west for whitetails ? I just got back from a archery hunt in illinois and man what a deer herd they have. Nice big deer all over the place. Anyway nice shooting I hear Montana is beautiful one day I will make it there...lol

79Puller

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. November 16th 2013, 10:45 am

You guys are more than welcomed to all the white tails you want here ..Darned things are everywhere. They are tearing up a lot of vehicles too.... No 

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 16th 2013, 3:45 pm

Dave C. wrote:You guys are more than welcomed to all the white tails you want here ..Darned things are everywhere. They are tearing up a lot of vehicles too.... No 
Just go ahead and shot them all and send me the meat. Smile 

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down