BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is a mid plate necessary?

+3
cool40
richter69
Mike R
7 posters

Go down

Is a mid plate necessary? Empty Is a mid plate necessary?

Post  Mike R September 25th 2012, 9:14 pm

I'm getting ready to mock up my engine and will be using a motor plate and a rubber trans mount with lateral stabilizers. Is a mid plate necessary? I've seen lots of big motor, big horsepower cars running just the front plate with out any problems, are they on borrowed time?

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Is a mid plate necessary? Empty Re: Is a mid plate necessary?

Post  richter69 September 25th 2012, 9:17 pm

best way is to use a midplate in conjuntion w the front plate.....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R September 25th 2012, 9:24 pm

I have a mid plate but was wondering how necessary it was after seeing so many others running with out one. I'm not against running one, it's just a lot more work if it's not really all that important.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 25th 2012, 9:27 pm

Id run the stock mounts over a front plate only. Not only does the mp distribute power to the chassis more effectively it stiffens it up and also takes stress off the eng block and trans case.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R September 25th 2012, 9:46 pm

Stock mounts are not an option, headers are for a motor plate. I have no problem doing the mid plate I just was wondering if it was really necessary. I only want to do this once so I may as well do it right. I understand and agree with you on the fact that it will stiffen the car up, just looking for other opinions. Thanks for the input John

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 25th 2012, 10:02 pm

with good limiters on it i think it'd be ok.i saw a very hot prostreet pull truck with no front plate or mounts,just a midplate Shocked
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround September 26th 2012, 9:45 am

What thickness of mid plate? The one that I had on my puller was .062 but I always felt it was too thin even though it always worked. If a thicker one is used, does anything have to be done to the part of the converter that goes into the transmission housing?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 26th 2012, 2:16 pm

Alan,
The BBF mid plates that I make are 12 ga steel, which is approximately .100" thick. This link will take you to a picture. https://www.429-460.com/t13876-bbf-starter-locator-plate-and-steel-mid-plate?highlight=starter+plate

I make them with the starter locator feature or with an open center like everyone elses.
In many cases, your converter pilot goes far enough in to the crank (or pilot adapter) to make the .100" OK. You really have to measure the parts that you have to make sure.

Thanks,
Keith Fulp
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
678-458-2033
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 26th 2012, 8:49 pm

HorsinAround wrote:What thickness of mid plate? The one that I had on my puller was .062 but I always felt it was too thin even though it always worked. If a thicker one is used, does anything have to be done to the part of the converter that goes into the transmission housing?
i dont know how thick it was but i'd say 3/8 or 1/2. it was a shock to see no front plate or mounts Shocked i guess it works for him,9500 rpm n/a!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  67460 September 27th 2012, 5:11 pm

Not only does the mp distribute power to the chassis more effectively it stiffens it up and also takes stress off the eng block and trans case.

I started out with a mid plate, car has always transfer power to chassis well and straight. I think they are well worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE September 27th 2012, 11:21 pm

Most mild steel mid plates I have seen (both hot rolled & cold rolled material) usually fall somewhere between .090" to .120" thick. Most regular aluminum mid plates ("regular" meaning it's only used as a mid plate, and not also a glide adapter too) usually are .250" thick. Alston used to sell a thinner aluminum mid plate years ago (they still might), but I have never seen anyone use the thinner aluminum ones (that I can remember anyway).

If you're going to go to the effort of installing a front plate, you might as well finish the job and install a mid plate too while you're at it.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R September 28th 2012, 6:32 pm

Well I'm convinced, Since I already have it I'll use it. I only asked because of all the cars I'd seen without one. I only want to do this once so I may as well do it right.I know I asked this before in the transmission section but got no answer, is there a specific rubber trans mount from any certain model I want to purchase? I'm going to be using a C-6 with the Fox double hump X-member.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down