BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think I might have screwed up

5 posters

Go down

I think I might have screwed up Empty I think I might have screwed up

Post  OldRedFord October 7th 2009, 10:37 am

For whatever reason I went out and puled the rod and pistons out of the short block today. Well one of the rod bearings (brand spanking new...other then the engine being rolled over by hand one time a week for about a year now to keep stuff from rusting up...everything coated with Comp cams assembly lube) Noted there is a scratch in the bearing. Far as I can tell I must have gotten a little bit of dirt in there. All the rod bearing surfaces on the crank look smooth as glass, and nothing catches on a fingernail or the edge of a penny.

Just replace the offending pair of bearings and continue on?

I think I might have screwed up 44284511
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

I think I might have screwed up Empty Re: I think I might have screwed up

Post  ThndrChkn October 7th 2009, 11:34 am

I would just replace it if it was mine, since it's already apart... Although, if it's not rough, and it's not a full blown race app, you'll more than likely be fine to make sure it's clean and oil it up and put it back together... I've done it many times with out any issues...

Doug... Cool

Doug...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens October 7th 2009, 11:37 am

I'd look around the oil passage in the crank to see if I could find the offending piece of crud first. If found, and removed, then I'd have to decide whether to run the bearing or replace it. I don't think that scratch will hurt anything BUT...you can always play it safe with a new pair of inserts.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  redneckprofessor October 7th 2009, 12:25 pm

I'd leave it if the scratch is just a "rubbed" spot produced by you turning the engine over by hand. If the surface is scored, and catches the fingernail, or feels like a scratch to the touch, then maybe change it.

Considering how "rubbed" up the bearings get when you use a bore gauge repeatedly, that spot shouldn't hurt anything. I think all you've done is compress the coating a little bit with something being there (lint, dirt, etc.) or with the surface being uneven just ever so slightly.
redneckprofessor
redneckprofessor

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug October 7th 2009, 1:26 pm

leave it just find out where the scratch came from and make sure it doesn't happen again, take some fine scotch brite and smooth it off.. Check the Chamfer holes to make sure it didn't come from there...

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord October 9th 2009, 12:41 pm

Next issue.

Im starting to notice specs of rust on the head gasket surfaces on the block, and in the lifter bores, and the cylinder walls. Like about the size or smaller then the point on a pencil.

Anything to worry about? Its not bad, just some faint spots in a few areas.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn October 9th 2009, 2:16 pm

Just take a scotch brite pad with some WD-40 on it and wipe it off... Then douse a clean rag with the WD and wipe it ALL down... Get an engine bag from your local machine shop 1st though... Then when you're done wiping, cover the engine with the bag...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down