BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Port the DOVE heads or ?

+2
466cj
BM2271
6 posters

Go down

Port the DOVE heads or ? Empty Port the DOVE heads or ?

Post  BM2271 November 28th 2012, 11:31 pm

Got a few questions since ive been out of the BBF loop for a while. I traded for a car that has a set of DOVE-C heads that supposedly have had some work done to them. I wont know how much work for a couple of weeks when I pull the motor down. Is it worth (cost effective) getting DOVE heads max ported over buying some aluminum heads? I know this is a loaded question but If i do port these who would be the best to send them to? I'm going to grudge race this car some do to having 2 class/bracket cars besides this one so if I can keep the DOVE heads it would "look" better. Thanks.

BM2271

Back to top Go down

Port the DOVE heads or ? Empty Re: Port the DOVE heads or ?

Post  466cj November 29th 2012, 12:20 am

Unless you are restricted by some requirement to use those heads for $2,000 (even a bit less) there are some much better heads available. As far as looking the part, paint the heads, nobody is likely to notice.

466cj

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 29th 2012, 8:09 am

Yes you can make some hp with the dove heads with max port job but you will have as much in them as you could buy a set of good aluminum heads for.I have already been down that road I have a set of used A-429 that I bought that had been ported and make more hp for the same money I have in my dove heads.But if you just want to keep the dove heads and use them get with Rich aka Boss 429 on here he can port them for you he has some engines making some big hp with them.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  kim November 29th 2012, 12:11 pm

Unless you can do the porting, or can get it done for a case of beer cheap, AND it does what its supposed to do. With the availability of the aftermarket pieces, its just far more cost effective to get something in aluminum that can meet your needs today, and offur you the ability to exceed the want tomorrow.

The lighter weight, the better combustion chamber, better runner, better valve angles. Its just not worth banging your head against the wall to edge old iron up there, unless there is a class rule, or you just gotta be differnt.

kim

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane November 29th 2012, 12:46 pm

BM2271 wrote:I traded for a car that has a set of DOVE-C heads that supposedly have had some work done to them. I wont know how much work for a couple of weeks when I pull the motor down. Is it worth (cost effective) getting DOVE heads max ported over buying some aluminum heads? I know this is a loaded question but If i do port these who would be the best to send them to? I'm going to grudge race this car some do to having 2 class/bracket cars besides this one so if I can keep the DOVE heads it would "look" better. Thanks.
How much horsepower are we talking about and how much do you want to spend? There is usually more than one path to get where you want to go. If you're just building a 600 hp engine then why spend $1800+ on aluminum heads when you can manage that much hp super-easy with the factory iron and also put several hundred dollars in your pocket in the process (or apply that saved cash toward a complete "free" valve train, etc). Some people would go with iron, others would go with aluminum.

Both the iron and the aluminum heads certainly have their place and their pluses/minuses. Most people talk horsepower levels in regards to carbs and gas, but D0VE heads have supported 4-figure horsepower in boosted applications and it woudn't surprise me one bit if they support 2000 hp when you tilt the can.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BM2271 November 29th 2012, 1:43 pm

Well the motor is a supposed to be a 472 with eagle crank and rods and SRP domes. Has a mid 600 lift flat tappet deal. Victor 4500 intake. PG with an 8" converter. The car should weigh around 3100 with me in it. If I could get it to go low 6 teens or high ohs on muscle I'd be tickled to death. Thanks

BM2271

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH November 29th 2012, 2:17 pm

BM2271 wrote:Well the motor is a supposed to be a 472 with eagle crank and rods and SRP domes. Has a mid 600 lift flat tappet deal. Victor 4500 intake. PG with an 8" converter. The car should weigh around 3100 with me in it. If I could get it to go low 6 teens or high ohs on muscle I'd be tickled to death. Thanks

SRP domes for a 460 ????? have to say no such thing

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  BM2271 November 29th 2012, 11:05 pm

He might of said Speed Pros but I thought he said SRPs but either way its supposed to have a small dome. Thanks

BM2271

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down