BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes?

3 posters

Go down

Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes? Empty Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes?

Post  psquare75 October 19th 2009, 1:17 pm

It seems the water pump hub on my 523 (stock pump), uses a larger pilot snout for a fan clutch, than any of the fan clutches I bought. Even the pump I have on the shelf from a 75 Torino with a 460 has a big snout, but the clutches all have a smaller pilot. I'm going to have it drilled larger.. But. What gives? Some quick Rockauto searches show the same pump used in every vehicle I checked.
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes? Empty Re: Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes?

Post  BOSS 429 October 20th 2009, 12:58 am

429s/460s use the large hole, drilling it will work fine,or get the right clutch
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes? Empty Re: Water Pump Center pilots, different sizes?

Post  Greg_P October 20th 2009, 9:48 am

All of the aftermarket clutches I have seen are already drilled for the big pilot, and the box contains a reducer bushing for those applications where the pump has a small pilot.

You might try a different parts store that has a different line of clutches and maybe those will be made like I described.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  psquare75 October 20th 2009, 1:06 pm

These were from two different stores. Figures. I drilled one out, we'll see how I did when I get the fan clutch spinning on the pulley.
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down