BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falcon front drum to disc conversion.

5 posters

Go down

Falcon front drum to disc conversion. Empty Falcon front drum to disc conversion.

Post  zrob90sc June 1st 2013, 2:37 pm

I did a search and couldn't find anything. I need to get better front brakes on my car. The small factory drum brakes won't hold during a burnout. It's the same as a 1970 Torino. The rear is already converted with a Quick Performance weld on kit/axle. Anybody know if the Granada spindle swap works on these? Car should run 94ish mph in the eighth.
zrob90sc
zrob90sc

Back to top Go down

Falcon front drum to disc conversion. Empty Re: Falcon front drum to disc conversion.

Post  Maxx Levell June 1st 2013, 7:02 pm

You may try to cross-reference the wheel bearing and see if it's the same. May give you an idea if it'll work or not. I did the Granada front disc swap on my 71 Maverick, and it was a bolt on affair, but I knew they would work beforehand. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Maxx Levell
Maxx Levell

Back to top Go down

Falcon front drum to disc conversion. Empty Re: Falcon front drum to disc conversion.

Post  69F100 June 1st 2013, 9:24 pm

zrob90sc wrote:I did a search and couldn't find anything. I need to get better front brakes on my car. The small factory drum brakes won't hold during a burnout. It's the same as a 1970 Torino. The rear is already converted with a Quick Performance weld on kit/axle. Anybody know if the Granada spindle swap works on these? Car should run 94ish mph in the eighth.

My 69 mustang coupe I change to disc I got mine from a 72 maverick grabber that came with a 302 the spindle went right on my upper and lower ball joint with no problem. The mustang and falcons will interchange on front end parts so the maverick may work on your also. I did have to change tie rod ends they was to small for the hole bought maverick replacement and the screwed right on.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  zrob90sc June 1st 2013, 9:46 pm

Thanks guys, i did a little digging and found a Wilwood big brake kit that will work with my drum spindles.
zrob90sc
zrob90sc

Back to top Go down

Falcon front drum to disc conversion. Empty Wilwood disc conversion

Post  manofmerc June 5th 2013, 6:49 am

Zrob with that wilwood kit you wont be disapointed .I used the same kit on my 67 comet .It went on like the instructions said and worked great.I liked it because you can use your drum brake spindle .I went with AN stainless brake lines from Earles.They were a little less expensive than the wilwood lines .Get yourself an adjustable propotions valve while you are at it .Doug Cool

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  zrob90sc June 9th 2013, 11:37 pm

You're right Doug, they are nice. Bolted right up and are really light compared to stock disc stuff. And they sure look nice. cheers Good call on the proportion valve, I need to get one of those and matching master cylinder.
zrob90sc
zrob90sc

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc June 11th 2013, 5:14 am

Zrob on my 67 comet I went with a rebuilt mc for a factory disc drum brake car .Some guys install a mc off a ranger pickup they are aluminum .I dont know the year .My car is 3415 with driver .Going about 98 in the 1/8 I can make the first turnoff at my local track .Those wilwoods work!Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DJStang June 14th 2013, 10:14 am

I was looking for something similar for a low buck disc brake change over on my 69 mustang which has front drums.  So the maverick spindles work with the existing ball joints, and you only have to change the tie-rod ends?

DJStang

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 June 14th 2013, 12:54 pm

DJStang wrote:I was looking for something similar for a low buck disc brake change over on my 69 mustang which has front drums.  So the maverick spindles work with the existing ball joints, and you only have to change the tie-rod ends?

Yes that all I had to do on my 69 mustang couple when I changed it was to use the maverick tie rod ends
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DJStang June 18th 2013, 8:03 am

Thanks for the update.  Now I'll look around for as I think it will be easier to find the Maverick spindles.  I see posts about Master Cylinder, but what about the proportioning valve?  I guess I could just grab a wilwood adjustable one to use.

DJStang

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down