BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.

+8
bbf-falcon
patfromjersey
61coon
austin460
Barney
rmcomprandy
LivermoreDave
dfree383
12 posters

Go down

Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.  Empty Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.

Post  dfree383 July 1st 2013, 8:40 am

http://www.freep.com/article/20121202/NEWS01/120823062/The-Packard-Plant-Then-and-now-interactive-comparison-photos?odyssey=tab%7cmostpopular%7ctext%7cSPORTS06
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.  Empty Re: Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.

Post  LivermoreDave July 1st 2013, 9:55 am

During the mid 70"s I traveled to Detroit, one such visit was my first at a certain location. I arrived at night and after business hours so traffic was very relaxed. I thought it may be of value to locate the business that night to provide a much smoother journey the next morning while maneuvering "rush hour traffic". The address wasn't clear to my finding! I parked the truck, walked across the street to a service station that remained open. As I walked up to the facility several black gentlemen were sitting around enjoying the evening. I spoke to the men politely and ask of the location I was seeking. They explained the business's where-a-bouts, I sat with them long enough to drink a Coke, thank them for their help then drove to the motel. That is something I wouldn't do today!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.  Empty Re: Wild looking Pictures of Detroit............ What it was and what it is now.

Post  rmcomprandy July 1st 2013, 10:54 am

dfree383 wrote:http://www.freep.com/article/20121202/NEWS01/120823062/The-Packard-Plant-Then-and-now-interactive-comparison-photos?odyssey=tab%7cmostpopular%7ctext%7cSPORTS06

It is an honest shame to the Detroit government that at one time this was the most advanced assembly facility in the world and this carnage is what remains.
I am old enough to remember when it was going strong. My dad worked there for 25 years.

Taking the time to change all the blueprints from British measurements to North American measurements then producing over 54,000 Rolls-Merlin engines, (with some big improvements over the British originals), for the World War II Pacific conflict, (used in the aircraft and the gasoline powered PT boats), was a MAJOR reason for the USA winning the war in that region before dropping those A bombs.  And, they did it for NO profit over 4 years which probably was the start to Packard going out of business.

It is just wrong that federal money won't be granted for that building which produced those engines to stand as a "Historical Monument" but, it is allowed to be this way instead. After all we could be speaking Japaneze.

Hell, The first site of MOTOWN RECORDS in Detroit was granted money to become a "Historical Monument" so, I guess that was more important.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney July 1st 2013, 11:35 am

Truly sad.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 July 1st 2013, 5:41 pm

Always makes me sad to see once great Industrial buildings going to rack and ruin. I have seen quite a few here in the UK fall into dis-repair. The governments should learn this is all part of the rich heritage of industrial nations. When I see these building I always think that in the current climate you will never see that amount of investment again everything now seems to be built quick and cheap especially here in the UK.
Changing the subject slightly didn't Detroit have one of the most magnificent railway stations in the world at some point is that still there or has it also gone to ruin.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  61coon July 1st 2013, 6:46 pm

That is sad to see a part of American history ruined like that.
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 1st 2013, 8:30 pm

austin460 wrote:Always makes me sad to see once great Industrial buildings going to rack and ruin. I have seen quite a few here in the UK fall into dis-repair. The governments should learn this is all part of the rich heritage of industrial nations. When I see these building I always think that in the current climate you will never see that amount of investment again everything now seems to be built quick and cheap especially here in the UK.
Changing the subject slightly didn't Detroit have one of the most magnificent railway stations in the world at some point is that still there or has it also gone to ruin.

IT is still standing ... a hulk in ruin. The property taxes on it get paid so it simply exists; an eyesore you can't miss because it is almost 10 stories tall.
Like the Packard buildings ... made of concrete not steel.
It is owned by the same idiot billionaire, Maddy Maroun, who owns the Ambassador Bridge Company and that monumental bridge to Canada is in disrepair and on its way to being trash. It is now closed to pedestrians because of the bad footing on the cement sidewalks and suspect railings. Maintenance is only done on the roadway.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey July 1st 2013, 8:41 pm

I love looking at the old pictures from the industrial revolution years. What a shame it's all gone. Sad 
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 1st 2013, 10:31 pm

61coon wrote:That is sad to see a part of American history ruined like that.

X2:shock: Crying or Very sad 

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 2nd 2013, 12:57 am

Whats wierd is I'm watching a new city being built here in Saudi...... Its like being in the USA in the late 1800's..... sucks that we can do the same anymore.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav July 2nd 2013, 5:16 pm

dfree383 wrote:Whats wierd is I'm watching a new city being built here in Saudi...... Its like being in the USA in the late 1800's..... sucks that we can do the same anymore.

We could Dave if we werent holding up the world with OUR money. Screw the globalists! Keep it here.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 July 3rd 2013, 12:28 am

72mav wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Whats wierd is I'm watching a new city being built here in Saudi...... Its like being in the USA in the late 1800's..... sucks that we can do the same anymore.

We could Dave if we werent holding up the world with OUR money. Screw the globalists! Keep it here.

It would be very tough for the USA to do anything like this here reguardless of the money...... we have become to complex, to demanding and to expensive to do it..... The rest of the world can't afford our products. If you would see what the Construction workers are being paid here your jaw would hit the floor............ and as far as money, believe me the rest of the world has a whole lot of it too, the US is just a part of it.

dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave July 3rd 2013, 10:04 am

This topic brings to mind a thought or two! The government whether it's local, state or federal wish not to use the time old adage of: "teach me to fish and I can feed myself". Instead these agencies seem to prefer damaging any hopes of fishing in place of delivering a fish!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  austin460 July 23rd 2013, 5:49 pm

So sad now its a whole city not just Studebaker that's bankrupt hard to believe.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy July 23rd 2013, 10:26 pm

austin460 wrote:So sad now its a whole city not just Studebaker that's bankrupt hard to believe.

Actually, Studebaker did not go bankrupt to end its existance. All its holdings were bought by American Motors at the end of 1966.
Kieser which purchased Willys Overland years before was sold again in 1970 to become another part of American Motors with Hudson and Nash, (and the defunct Studebaker), which in the early 90's merged again with Chrysler Corporation.  They did go bankrupt a few years ago after partnering with Daimler who bailed on Chrysler.

rmcomprandy

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane July 24th 2013, 2:49 pm

It looks like Europe and Japan after WWII, and not a single bomb was dropped. Sad Mad 
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 25th 2013, 8:47 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=413271981325&set=vb.706181325&type=2&theater

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick July 25th 2013, 8:52 pm

Lems on FB ?? what's this world coming too Shocked 
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 25th 2013, 9:05 pm

John Myrick wrote:Lems on FB ??   what's this world coming too  Shocked 

It was emailed to me....I am not on FB. cyclops 

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick July 25th 2013, 9:25 pm

Lem Evans wrote:
John Myrick wrote:Lems on FB ??   what's this world coming too  Shocked 

It was emailed to me....I am not on FB. cyclops 

Thank goodness........thought the world was ending
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans July 25th 2013, 9:51 pm

Very Happy 

Lem Evans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down