BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Went to the dark side...................

+9
Wes Littrell
fe50stang
cool40
HorsinAround
richter69
jcoxracing
AL Q
69F100
Moodyblues
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Went to the dark side................... Empty Went to the dark side...................

Post  Moodyblues July 31st 2013, 10:32 am

Got a Rupert alky carb, pump, regualtor and took the car to the track. Best et on gas in early spring was a 5.47/125. I think the converter has laid down (fins bent over) and it ran on gas 5.75 the last pass in 90 degree heat. On the alky carb the car went 5.65 Friday night on a slick test-n-tune track and there were a couple other race cars there and they were running a tenth off, so I assume that would have put me somewhere at a 5.55 - 5.60. Going to Section AL on Friday night to race so we will see.

I have raced for 25 years and always on gas. The good about the alky is there is no heat issues, although I didn't have any on gas until late rounds of bracket racing. It takes a while to warn the car up with alky and uses about double the fuel that racing gas did. I left the line at 165 and at the trailer I was at 160, so not excessive running the water pump or fan.

Bracket racing, its just tough to run gas especially in the extreme heat of the summer, the et varies a lot, but not so much with alky.

Time will tell I guess.

Moodyblues
Moodyblues

http://www.russhoodinsurance.com

Back to top Go down

Went to the dark side................... Empty Re: Went to the dark side...................

Post  69F100 July 31st 2013, 1:08 pm

Do you have a lean out hooked up if not it will help with warming the engine up plus turn the air mixture screws in 1 complete round in it will help warm it up faster. I can open my lean out turn the screws in in warm mine up to 180 on less than 2 gals most of the time about 1 1/2 gal to get it up to temp. 165 is alittle cool to leave on line on or is on mine mine runs the best leaving 175 to 180. What ever you leave at the line if it temp drops it to fat if it getting hotter it running to lean.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Went to the dark side................... Empty Re: Went to the dark side...................

Post  AL Q July 31st 2013, 9:52 pm

I use the primer plus system from Ron's injection under the throttle body, warm it to 180 on pump gas. No reason it wont work with a carb as well, drive up to the lanes on pump gas too. the vacuum leak lean out works ok too, but use more alky.
AL Q
AL Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues July 31st 2013, 10:14 pm

69F100 wrote:Do you have a lean out hooked up if not it will help with warming the engine up plus turn the air mixture screws in 1 complete round in it will help warm it up faster. I can open my lean out turn the screws in in warm mine up to 180 on less than 2 gals most of the time about 1 1/2 gal to get it up to temp. 165 is alittle cool to leave on line on or is on mine mine runs the best leaving 175 to 180. What ever you leave at the line if it temp drops it to fat if it getting hotter it running to lean.  

Thanks. I have a lean out on it and it takes a gallon or so to get to 150. I left the trailer at 160 once and when I got back it was 175 so it sounds like I'm ok.
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  Moodyblues July 31st 2013, 10:15 pm

AL Q wrote:I use the primer plus system from Ron's injection under the throttle body, warm it to 180 on pump gas. No reason it wont work with a carb as well, drive up to the lanes on pump gas too. the vacuum leak lean out works ok too, but use more alky.

Not sure pump gas would work on a 16.1 comp engine
Moodyblues
Moodyblues

Back to top Go down

Post  jcoxracing July 31st 2013, 11:02 pm

I have been thinking about swapping to alcohol for consistancy reasons. However, I don't know if a 10.1 to 1 compression motor will work with alcohol.
Justin
jcoxracing
jcoxracing

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 31st 2013, 11:09 pm

damn sure will, Ive run alky on 9.0-1 deals before no problem.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 1st 2013, 12:43 am

jcoxracing wrote:I have been thinking about swapping to alcohol for consistancy reasons. However, I don't know if a 10.1 to 1 compression motor will work with alcohol.
Justin

It worked great with my 10.6 460
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 1st 2013, 9:05 am

For those of you running injected alcohol, do you have a rear mounted fuel cell? If so do you have it plumbed to a surge tank? Just curious as I was reading on killerrons where they recommend a surge tank with rear mounted cell's. An electric fuel pump fills the surge tank, and the surge tank feeds the mech. pump.
Is this necessary?

Also, is a shutoff valve the same thing as the lean out valve mentioned above?

I have an oil pan set up for 2 heating elements. Is this effective in getting the motor up to operating temps?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 1st 2013, 11:14 am

HorsinAround wrote:For those of you running injected alcohol, do you have a rear mounted fuel cell? If so do you have it plumbed to a surge tank? Just curious as I was reading on killerrons where they recommend a surge tank with rear mounted cell's. An electric fuel pump fills the surge tank, and the surge tank feeds the mech. pump.
Is this necessary?

Also, is a shutoff valve the same thing as the lean out valve mentioned above?

I have an oil pan set up for 2 heating elements. Is this effective in getting the motor up to operating temps?
i would'nt run a rear cell with alky.the front mount is just too easy to consider all the bs for rear mount.the shut off is used to lean it,just pull the cable till the idle goes up and the temp will also.i use about 1 1/2 gallons of alky to get to 180 from cold.i dont use a pan heater but it sure would'nt hurt to. Smile 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 1st 2013, 11:26 am

How big of a front cell do you run and where are they typically mounted?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 1st 2013, 9:56 pm

HorsinAround wrote:How big of a front cell do you run and where are they typically mounted?
i think its a 4 gal. Went to the dark side................... Fuelcellmount023
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  fe50stang August 1st 2013, 11:21 pm

you might as well put your old gas setup for sale because once you go alky you will never consider going back. The price of fuel is a good bonus also
fe50stang
fe50stang

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 1st 2013, 11:49 pm

rear cell is fine for a carb deal with elec pump, inj and belt pump carb set ups need a front cell. 4 gal is the min imo unless you tow it to the lanes and back. The vac leak type leanout is for carbs only, the gas primer plus can be used with either but is almost a must with inj.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 August 1st 2013, 11:50 pm

fe50stang wrote:you might as well put your old gas setup for sale because once you go alky you will never consider going back. The price of fuel is a good bonus also

lol unless you plan on going with a good bit of nos then gas just works better imo.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 August 2nd 2013, 12:39 am

richter69 wrote:rear cell is fine for a carb deal with elec pump, inj and belt pump carb set ups need a front cell. 4 gal is the min imo unless you tow it to the lanes and back. The vac leak type leanout is for carbs only, the gas primer plus can be used with either but is almost a must with inj.

I agree if you go with the front mount go with 4 gal I went with the 3 gal jaz tank it is almost to small I have just enough to make a pass and back to the trailer if I have to sit in the lanes I have to shut mine down or I may not make it back to the trailer or that was with the 460 not sure on the new 552 only made 1 pass so far and it wasn't a full pass it was on the easy side tranny was slipping.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wes Littrell August 2nd 2013, 7:39 am

I agree the front cell is the best deal, but if you have no choice run the upright cell and make sure it is high enough to gravity feed the pump, but not higher than the barrel valve. If its to high and you forget to shut your fuel off it will fill your engine full of alcohol. When I ran a rear mounted cell in my black truck it was in the front corner of the bed. Never had any problems with it that way. A truck is easier than a car to run a rear cell because you can put it right against the back of the cab and adjust the height pretty easy and plus the lines are only about 6" long. The only time I ever had any issues is when I had a reg style cell and it wasn't all the way full. If I done a long burnout and got on the brakes hard it would get air in the system, once I switched to the upright cell and filled it every pass, I never had any problems.
Wes Littrell
Wes Littrell

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 August 2nd 2013, 9:44 am

richter69 wrote:rear cell is fine for a carb deal with elec pump, inj and belt pump carb set ups need a front cell. 4 gal is the min imo unless you tow it to the lanes and back. The vac leak type leanout is for carbs only, the gas primer plus can be used with either but is almost a must with inj.
i have never ran a gas primer and dont know why i'd need one.a squirt to start up cold and after that its good to go.i can see wher one would help build heat in cooler weather but its just moer $hit to deal with.if you ever see another carb on mine you'll know its got more than gas on it. Wink 
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 2nd 2013, 10:05 am

Thanks for the input and picture. Guess I'll put the aluminum tank for sale and get a 4 gal plastic. Main thing I'll have to figure out is how to mount it cuz there is not a whole lot of space between the rad and the grill on the 80's and 90's F series. lol.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 2nd 2013, 10:16 am

cool40 wrote:
i have never ran a gas primer and dont know why i'd need one. 

My Primer Plus cut my my alky use by 2/3. Before the Primer it would burn almost 3 gallons from trailer to lanes, several starts in lanes, burnout, pass and return road. About 1 mile round trip I guess. With the Primer it is a little less than 1 gallon of alky and 1 pint of 93 oct pump gas. Drive it on gas everywhere except the burnout and pass. On warm up for the first start of the day I would use 3 Gal + of alky. Now 1 qt of pump gas gets it to 200° where I shut it off and let it heat soak.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  dr's wife racing August 2nd 2013, 12:44 pm

I've drove Davids car it is a cool set up. No prob keeping heat in it.Yall have me thinking I may put one on my new car as my cell is only three gallons. It would extend my crusing range.
dr's wife racing
dr's wife racing
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick August 2nd 2013, 1:03 pm

dr's wife racing wrote:I've drove Davids car it is a cool set up. No prob keeping heat in it.Yall have me thinking I may put one on my new car as my cell is only three gallons. It would extend my crusing range.

Shocked I've seen that car...It ain't no cruiser.Suspect 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole August 2nd 2013, 2:44 pm

Ward's new custom built front mount cell.

Went to the dark side................... Cell1

Went to the dark side................... Cell2
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround August 2nd 2013, 3:04 pm

Ok, NOW you got me thinking about the mounting location.... Twisted Evil  If I read gen. rule 1.5 correctly as long as it is inside the body, it doesn't need the steel tube frame surrounding it right?
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  AL Q August 2nd 2013, 6:38 pm

David Cole wrote:
cool40 wrote:

My Primer Plus cut my my alky use by 2/3.  Before the Primer it would burn almost 3 gallons from trailer to lanes, several starts in lanes, burnout, pass and return road.  About 1 mile round trip I guess.   With the Primer it is a little less than 1 gallon of alky and 1 pint of 93 oct pump gas.   Drive it on gas everywhere except the burnout and pass.   On warm up for the first start of the day I would use 3 Gal + of alky.  Now 1 qt of pump gas gets it to 200° where I shut it off and let it heat soak.

This is what I'm talking about
AL Q
AL Q

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next