BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Security Cameras

4 posters

Go down

Security Cameras Empty Security Cameras

Post  747JetMech September 25th 2013, 3:19 pm

Hey Guys

I am using this Forum to get info on building a camera system that will record to my computer and be able to watch my house from the cell phone...

http://www.networkcamerareviews.com/forums/index.php

POE Cameras with Blue Iris software looks like what I will be using.. Running CAT 5 cable today..

Tom
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Security Cameras Empty Re: Security Cameras

Post  dfree383 September 26th 2013, 12:02 am

Would you mind giving a over view of the system, cost and what it takes for an install?

I'd like to upgrade to something I can watch on my phone too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 26th 2013, 8:20 am

A few years ago, I installed a Swann Security system that has a DVR and is viewable from a smart phone. The hardest part is routing the cables. The cables are coax with a power supply for the camera built in. Everything you need comes in one big box. I had to buy additional cable for a couple of cameras.
It has been working great. Swann provides phone support to get the DVR configured through your router and Internet setup. Back when I got mine it was all about $500. Now they have the same 4-camera kit for about $350-$375.
http://www.swann.com/region/usa/entry/us
I looked their web site the other day and they now have cool little sport cameras that would be good for race car installs.
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 September 29th 2013, 9:23 pm

I just noticed a 2 camera DVR kit at Walmart today, from Swann with smart phone technology for $199
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Security Cameras Empty Cameras

Post  747JetMech September 30th 2013, 12:32 pm

You can review most cameras on youtube now. It really helps to have a street light outside or install yard lights to enhance the night vision on certain cameras.
Just remember, if you cant ID the person in the video or read a license plate, its not going to help but to establish a time when the intruder stopped by.

Wireless = Means running 110v to each camera
POE= Power Over Ethernet.. One small cat 5 cable powers and transfers video

Record to a DVR
Record to your computer

Wiring = Camera to a switch to a computer router or DVR The cameras all run into a switch. "The switch is a junction box that supplies power and transfers data to your computer router". From the switch you run 1 cat5 cable to your computer router.

Most of the cameras now days have a motion detection feature. You select the camera you want to set up on the screen. You click and drag a box around the area you want to trigger the camera... You don't want to watch and record cars coming up and down the street. You may want to find out who dogs are shitting on your lawn or when someone walks up the sidewalk, camera turn on...

I Live in a ok area.. When my garage door is open, some people stare in looking at my cars ( Junk ). I don't know if there curious as to what it is or scoping my garage out...
I read a lot of police reports about break ins. It seems the bad guys, most of the time, knock on the door or leave a flyer in the door. They establish if your home. Then they come back and hop the fence and go to the back door... They know even if they trigger a alarm it still takes several minutes for the man in blue to show up. They kick the back door in or smash patio door or window. The grab anything sitting out and easy to grab. Computers, flat screens, money, etc... Then most of the time, they head to the master bedroom.. Grab what they want and spit.

One more thing. I was leaving a friends house and noticed his phone box on the side of house was open. I saw some alligator clips and wires hanging out of the box.. While driving home I was thinking what he could be doing out there. Then is dawned on me, someone was tapping his phone line. I called him right away and said "Hey someone is tapping your phone! " He laughs at me and tap my phone? ha ha ha.. I said you better get out there and look. About a hour later he calls me back and says your right. Someone stole his mail, took the credit card offers out. Opened his phone box and with 2 alligator clips and phone, called the credit card company and activated his cards...
Found out it was a young kid that lived with his grandma 3 houses away!

I had a police officer that lived down the block from me. One morning I woke up and someone dumped a stolen car off in front of his house. Put cylinder blocks under the car, cut the valve stems and took wheels and tires!! WOW!

If there is any law enforcement on our forum that could add to this, please do.

747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Security Cameras Empty ZyXEL ES1100-16P

Post  747JetMech September 30th 2013, 2:58 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181164

This switch was recommended by Bullwinkle... I will run my Cat5 cables from the cameras to this switch.. Then 1 Cat5 cable to my computer router...

747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 30th 2013, 11:01 pm

dfree383 wrote:Would you mind giving a over view of the system, cost and what it takes for an install?

a

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 30th 2013, 11:02 pm

supervel45 wrote:
dfree383 wrote:Would you mind giving a over view of the system, cost and what it takes for an install?

a
ab

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 30th 2013, 11:04 pm

supervel45 wrote:
supervel45 wrote:

a
ab
abrttc

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 September 30th 2013, 11:22 pm

supervel45 wrote:
supervel45 wrote:
supervel45 wrote:

a
ab
abrttc
          If you after reponse time you will probably beat the police home, before they get there, unless they are parked in  the drive way and you are a fair distance away. I did before they had cell phone link up, through the alarm company, and the police station was 1 mile away and was bout 2miles away. Any way I did not help with your question much you may try looking at security websites for more ideas. Keep in mind if a camera is visible it gives the thief a major advantage, to the thief, if they think the area is vacant. Also if you can keep a dog or dog's in the back yard and in the house, it will make them look for a easier target.

Last edited by supervel45 on October 2nd 2013, 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add)

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down