BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

electric pumps

+3
maverick
460pulling
ragtime
7 posters

Go down

electric pumps Empty electric pumps

Post  ragtime October 8th 2013, 7:47 pm

ran my moroso electric water  pump motor (cog belt drive) and was happy with its performance and it ran really cool for me this last summer. it was more of an experiment if anything, i bought it for my run stand. the v belt drive ( mechanical ) is also working great.  my overall question for any electric pump if used on a regular bases (street) is how not to be constantly paranoid.. watching the temp gauge. if it was to fail and not catch it in time before the motor cooks. am i the only one with this fear..could i run a warning light of some type to avoid this.? would like to keep it on but it creeps me out.

Last edited by ragtime on October 16th 2013, 3:25 am; edited 2 times in total

ragtime

Back to top Go down

electric pumps Empty Re: electric pumps

Post  460pulling October 8th 2013, 8:59 pm

they sell light kits for high temp, no oil pressure, ect. Might be able to rig it to shut the ignition off if it fails too.

460pulling

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick October 8th 2013, 9:35 pm

The warning light would serve the purpose, but killing the ignition would be a bad idea, IMO. Imagine idling in traffic on a warm day...some normal temperature rise occurs at a redlight...suddenly you're a pedestrian.Mad 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  460pulling October 9th 2013, 8:21 am

maverick wrote:The warning light would serve the purpose, but killing the ignition would be a bad idea, IMO.  Imagine idling in traffic on a warm day...some normal temperature rise occurs at a redlight...suddenly you're a pedestrian.Mad 
Never thought of that. That's a great point.

460pulling

Back to top Go down

electric pumps Empty switch

Post  ragtime October 9th 2013, 6:48 pm

[quote="460pulling"]they sell light kits for high temp, no oil pressure, ect. Might be able to rig it to shut the ignition off if it fails too.[/quote

was not aware of the kit u have mentioned...any offerings for differant temp ranges.? 200 220 240.

ragtime

Back to top Go down

Post  460pulling October 9th 2013, 7:35 pm

Summit sells a couple kits. This one comes on at 230 degrees Fahrenheit
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/reb-140-1305

460pulling

Back to top Go down

Post  ragtime October 9th 2013, 7:46 pm

460pulling wrote:Summit sells a couple kits. This one comes on at 230 degrees Fahrenheit
http://m.summitracing.com/parts/reb-140-1305

ok great..will call some parts stores tomarrow and see if just the sender is available if not i will fall back on this...thanks!

Last edited by ragtime on October 10th 2013, 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

ragtime

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 9th 2013, 8:45 pm

I don't think I would feel comfortable running a elec. pump regularly on the street. These pumps were designed for race engines on a track and not for the street.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  ragtime October 9th 2013, 10:34 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I don't think I would feel comfortable running a elec. pump regularly on the street. These pumps were designed for race engines on a track and not for the street.
what would u not be comfortable with?  i dont have any cooling issues, i had it on a toggle switch just to see how long it would take to run the needle up with it off and it was under a minute. that creeped me out so i would not run it without some type of warning device for sure.. what ya thinkn.?

ragtime

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon October 9th 2013, 11:50 pm

I would just be worried about getting way out somewhere and the elec. motor burning up from continuous running. Mech. pump would be a lot more reliable for cruising on street.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  BigBlockRanger October 9th 2013, 11:54 pm

Plenty of guys run an electric on the street, me included. I don't worry about it as much as I did the mechanical pump. Car stays cool and temp stays very consistent in stop and go traffic.
BigBlockRanger
BigBlockRanger

Back to top Go down

Post  ragtime October 10th 2013, 4:37 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I would just be worried about getting way out somewhere and the elec. motor burning up from continuous running. Mech. pump would be a lot more reliable for cruising on street.
agreed...i am not yet sold on the idea yet. and it takes me rite back to..... but if i did i would use the light. if this was a daily driver i would run it off the crank for sure..

ragtime

Back to top Go down

Post  TorinoGT October 13th 2013, 8:51 pm

BigBlockRanger wrote:Plenty of guys run an electric on the street, me included.   I don't worry about it as much as I did the mechanical pump.  Car stays cool and temp stays very consistent in stop and go traffic.
I too run a moroso electric motor on my mechanical pump on the street... ive been running the same electric motor for years with no worries.

I *did* buy a second motor as a back up... I figure, like anything else... if the motor fails, the car gets pulled over and either towed home or the electric motor swapped on the spot. Any electric part can fail at any time... ignition etc... just keep an eye on the temp like you would normal on any car like the ones we run and you will be fine.

and the electric motor with electric fans works awesome on the street to keep my temps low and consistent. my temps run just above the thermostat I have installed (was just over 160 with a 160Tstat... changed to a 180Tstat and im a needles width over 180 degrees now... even in heavy traffic)

Shane
TorinoGT
TorinoGT

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick October 13th 2013, 11:31 pm

As far as reliabilty goes...How many of us have ever gotten "happy" with a street machine and tossed a v-belt off the water pump when things spun north of 6000 rpm?
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  f250mike October 14th 2013, 6:10 pm

maverick wrote:As far as reliabilty goes...How many of us have ever gotten "happy" with a street machine and tossed a v-belt off the water pump when things spun north of 6000 rpm?
I tossed mine at the 60ft. I didn't see the temp until I was on the return road:oops:  The in truck Go Pro showed the needle climbing in the shutdown.
I use the moroso electric drive now.
f250mike
f250mike

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick October 14th 2013, 7:33 pm

I love my Meziere REMOTE electric pump. It mounts anywhere (in my case, down low on the right front frame rail) and leaves the front of the engine wide open for easy access to stuff like the Danny Bee.Cool 
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down