BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DTS DYNO UPGRADE

+3
Lem Evans
jbozzelle
LivermoreDave
7 posters

Go down

DTS DYNO UPGRADE Empty DTS DYNO UPGRADE

Post  LivermoreDave October 21st 2013, 9:39 pm

I listened to a conversation while in the dyno room at EMC this year and realized the "talk", about SuperFlow/DTS about to drop the hammer on software upgrades was for real! Dave Arsenault of SuperFlow was explaining about the upgrade, it's cost ($26000/unit) in regard to UNOH and the two engine dyno units. So I been "web surfing" and there's a lot of Internet talk about the subject. Some say find a computer programming wizard and continue operating the DTS unit without SuperFlow's support and others are upset with SuperFlow's decision. Anybody heard anything else or a way to jump track and continue operating the DTS units without SuperFlow's support?

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

DTS DYNO UPGRADE Empty Re: DTS DYNO UPGRADE

Post  jbozzelle October 21st 2013, 9:43 pm

What's the deal? Did one buy the other and now have stopped supporting it?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans October 21st 2013, 9:47 pm

I'm not gonna up grade my dyno....are you?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave October 22nd 2013, 9:47 am

jbozzelle wrote: What's the deal?  Did one buy the other and now have stopped supporting it?  
Joe, I overheard the SuperFlow representative say, "we haven't owned that dyno in 7 years". The comment in regard to the 2013 EMC dyno facility. My thoughts, SuperFlow possibly intends to eliminate DTS as a subsidiary. As your reply states Joe, I think that's a possibility.

Dave.

Here's a bit of information posted on another site.

An Email from SuperFlow basically telling all DTS dyno owners to start saving money for an "upgrade" to a supportable package. The quote below is from that letter.

Electrical Parts and Repair
Until March 1st, 2012 SuperFlow will continue to service the DTS electronics. This includes: the data acquisition box (aka,
“red box”), valve controller, computer, and all the necessary cables. After March 1st, 2012, electronic repairs will continue
only until the existing stock of parts is depleted. The dated components in the DTS electronic systems are growing
increasingly hard to find and also increasingly expensive to procure making ongoing support for these systems impractical
in terms of both time and cost

Last edited by LivermoreDave on October 22nd 2013, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave October 22nd 2013, 9:49 am

Lem Evans wrote:I'm not gonna up grade my dyno....are you?
I did not realize you had a dyno! Congratulations.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry Williams October 22nd 2013, 9:54 am

the costs of dyno tests is going to go sky high
Larry Williams
Larry Williams

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 22nd 2013, 12:22 pm

When Superflow and DTS merged some time ago, the writing was on the wall, (as with all mergers in any walk of life).
The dynos themselves will remain different however, the data acquisition and supporting parts is being shifted to that which is the BETTER to do the job at hand.
A merger is a merger and it makes no fiscal sense to them to continue producing spare parts for two entirely separate units.

A question ... what future would have happened if DTS went entirely "out of business" without the merger with Superflow???

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 October 22nd 2013, 12:58 pm

Larry Williams wrote:the costs of dyno tests is going to go sky high
Na.... Plenty of dyno's around.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle October 22nd 2013, 10:13 pm

Even if DTS was still in business I'd venture a guess that parts would still be obsolete and upgrades would be needed.

In my line of work we guarantee system support for at least 10 years. Sometimes they end up getting supported for 20, but when a sub-supplier quits making parts for a circuit card you produce back in the early 90's it's hard to justify not upgrading to the best technology. Most times the cost of maintaining systems is the same to upgrade. I'm talking about the manufacturer costs, not the end user...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave October 23rd 2013, 9:21 am

rmcomprandy wrote: A question ... what future would have happened if DTS went entirely "out of business" without the merger with Superflow???
Randy I feel assured we all wish for a crystal ball that would offer insight into our futures, although I'm not certain that dream exist. To give you my opinion in regard to your question, the market demand or lack of would create the deciding factor as to DTS's survival. With that said, and SuperFlow leveraging their business position as they have I believe a strong presentation would be required for DTS's survival. Obviously the fleet of DTS dyno facilities are willing to follow SuperFlow's business platform, and then again maybe the aftermarket will prevail!

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy October 23rd 2013, 2:45 pm

LivermoreDave wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote: A question ... what future would have happened if DTS went entirely "out of business" without the merger with Superflow???
Randy I feel assured we all wish for a crystal ball that would offer insight into our futures, although I'm not certain that dream exist. To give you my opinion in regard to your question, the market demand or lack of would create the deciding factor as to DTS's survival. With that said, and SuperFlow leveraging their business position as they have I believe a strong presentation would be required for DTS's survival. Obviously the fleet of DTS dyno facilities are willing to follow SuperFlow's business platform, and then again maybe the aftermarket will prevail!

Dave.
I asked that, Dave ... because DTS was within an eyelash of completely folding up the tent and going into oblivion with the most detrimental form of bankruptcy; LIQUIDATION.
Until the merger with Superflow, that is.

There are a few other data acquisition systems in the marketplace which can be adapted to almost any water brake dynomometer and I am sure that some of that business will get spread around. As to the cost and support ... I have no idea what that may be.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave October 27th 2013, 7:54 pm

Randy I believe you are correct about data acquisition and the DTS operating system. I spoke with an IT/CP last night during dinner and later learned that the DTS concerns were not a big deal! I suppose when data acquisition/programming is one's expertise, it's simply not a "big deal".

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham October 28th 2013, 7:37 pm

They were a big deal to my customer, Chuck Ford. He bought a new DTS dyno and then they sold out. He had problems and had to do the $20K+ upgrade. He was pissed, to say the least.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down