BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Steering Pumps ????

3 posters

Go down

Power Steering Pumps ???? Empty Power Steering Pumps ????

Post  dfree383 25th November 2013, 08:48

Are Saganaw pumps and old (60's and 70's) Ford PS pumps Interchangable as far as a 1970 Mustang Power Box is concerned?

I'm looking at getting a march serpentine set-up for the front of my 312" Boss 302 and it seems to be alot easier to get a new saganaw pump than a old style ford pump that looks good.

Options? Ideas?
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Power Steering Pumps ???? Empty Re: Power Steering Pumps ????

Post  jeffgfg 26th November 2013, 10:54

Dave as far as I know, the only time you run into problems with power steering pumps is when you go from an "old" box style and try to use it on R&P steering and vise-versa, you can't use a new R&P power steering pump on an old power steering box. Some of the R&P pumps don't interchange either, Hi pressure verses low pressure. I hope this helps.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 26th November 2013, 16:14

That's a good start, thank you.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffgfg 26th November 2013, 17:46

Dave also check with March they might know, Is yours a power steering box or the cylinder type? I still don't think it makes a difference. Check Borgson (???) they sell everything for steering and they might help too.

jeffgfg

Back to top Go down

Post  CDMBill 26th November 2013, 22:32

I've run both the older canister Type 1 Saginaw pump and the newer smaller Type 2 pump on my 71, which has a Saginaw 800 steering box in it from the factory. March recommended the older style from a 77 Camaro 350 application for their serpentine kit back in early 2000's. I updated my own brackets when I shifted to the Danny Bee belt drive and used the much smaller and lighter Type 2 with a remote reservoir. Both operated the P/S box with no issues. I use a P/S fluid cooler because the headers surround the steering box and I used to have fluid heating issues and leaks or what I think was the effect of boiling fluid. No more with the cooler. This was on long drives in hot weather as my car is Drag Week deal.

CDMBill

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down