BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds!

4 posters

Go down

power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds! Empty power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds!

Post  bb429power October 8th 2010, 6:28 pm

the cougar has power steering and a lot of times when you steer it it sound like someone is granny shiftin a manual and grinding the gears. What could be causing this? too much fluid?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds! Empty Re: power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds!

Post  res0rli9 October 9th 2010, 12:49 am

bad pump... but I just got two from advance that where bad new, so when to auto zone and got a good one after they gave me 3. Rolling Eyes

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds! Empty Re: power steering sound like sdkjnfksksoncjhdfssds!

Post  lghting94 October 9th 2010, 10:05 am

a power steering pump full of air will sound like crap also
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 10:06 am

We replaced the pump since it was seizing up before, or no, my dad rebuilt it. We got the rebuild kit from napa I think. Well I'll check and see what we can do about getting a new pump. Thanks for the help. Smile
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 10:07 am

lghting94 wrote:a power steering pump full of air will sound like crap also
How do you get the air out?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 October 9th 2010, 10:25 am

personally i jack the front of the vehicle up and turn the steering lock to lock till it starts acting normal.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 October 9th 2010, 12:34 pm

lghting94 wrote:personally i jack the front of the vehicle up and turn the steering lock to lock till it starts acting normal.

x2

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 2:01 pm

res0rli9 wrote:
lghting94 wrote:personally i jack the front of the vehicle up and turn the steering lock to lock till it starts acting normal.

x2
That's what I did, but not running. I WAS going to start it up and do that though, so should I do it again while its running?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 October 9th 2010, 2:28 pm

Yes Justin work it with the engine running so you can tell when you get all the air out the fluid will look real foamy with air in it.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 4:14 pm

I figured I should have it running so its pumping, but we have a garage sale going on right now so I'll wait. Man I hat that noise plus the header ticking because SOMEONE didn't tighten the last bolt. Wasn't me Laughing
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 October 9th 2010, 6:22 pm

Has to be done with the engine running doing this with the engine off does nothing to help your issue
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 6:26 pm

lghting94 wrote:Has to be done with the engine running doing this with the engine off does nothing to help your issue
I did it with the engine off before to get it in the system and it did work.

Well I jacked it up and went lock to lock but it still makes the noise. The fluid is lower though, it isn't a lack of fluid in the pump I know that. I think were going to try and get a new pump, any recommendations?
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 October 9th 2010, 6:35 pm

Not to disagree but if you are turning the wheels with the engine off it isnt filling the system because it is not pumping fluid. Actually doing this can force more air into the system because you force what is in it back out. To get the air out can take quite a while not just one or two times. Had one truck we worked the steering for almost thirty minutes before it started to act normal and then drove it several times before it finally quit foaming the power steering fluid.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 7:12 pm

Well today I did have it running. The noise wasn't there when it was in the air, but when the tires were on the ground it did it again. Tomorrow I will work it in some more. Should I keep going back and forth or turn one way and hold it for a while then go the other way ect.? I'll work the heck out of it, like I said there was less fluid in it when I was done.

I'll do it again for a good amount of time then test it and keep going at it.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 October 9th 2010, 11:06 pm

Justin first add some more fluid then turn the steering wheel till it hits its stop then turn the other way till it hits the stop and keep repeating. No need to keep holding it against the stop as soon as it hits start the other way. Also if it is squelling when the tires are on the ground you may need to recheck the belt tension as well as belt condition.

Last edited by lghting94 on October 9th 2010, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : poor spelling)
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power October 9th 2010, 11:20 pm

lghting94 wrote:Justin first add some more fluid then turn the steering wheel till it hits its stop then turn the other way till it hits the stop and keep repeating. No need to keep holding it against the stop as soon as it hits start the other way. Also if it is squelling when the tires are on the ground you may need to recheck the belt tension as well as belt condition.
Will do sir, thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down