BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starter suggestions

+2
Curt
chappy89
6 posters

Go down

Starter suggestions Empty Starter suggestions

Post  chappy89 November 1st 2009, 5:54 pm

I have a 598, 10:1, with twin turbos and a black aeromotive mechanical pump. The motor turns around 100-120 rpm when starting. Using a 16v battery system. This is simply not enough rpm to make pressure with the pump. Can use a drill and make pressure, just not with the starter. I am using a Powermaster Ultra Torque starter. I am looking for a starter that will turn the motor considerably faster. I don't want to run an electric priming pump. Anyone have any suggestions? I know that you guys suggest a Ford truck starter, so does that starter turn good rpm's? Anyone have any help???

This is the big thing holding me up from going to the track!!!

Thanks

Chappy

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Starter suggestions Empty Re: Starter suggestions

Post  Curt November 1st 2009, 7:30 pm

Put a Meziere on, and be done with it. king
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  mico November 1st 2009, 8:59 pm

I use the "truck" starter on my engine, 557ci 14.1 Ahead combo. It starts fine with a 12v Optima battery. I tried the Ebay started that alot of people use but had a problem with the solinoid. Bought the same starter from NAPA and it has worked good so far.

mico

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 1st 2009, 9:31 pm

What kind of RPM's are you all seeing during starting? This is really what I'm after. I need RPM's!!!!

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 2nd 2009, 9:54 am

I would think that all the gear reduction type starters are all going to be close to the same cranking speed. All that I have seen are 4:1 or 4.4:1 geared. I have the same starter that you have. It works fine. Before the Powermaster I had a CVR Protorque. It may have turned it a touch faster, but not much. The 5 + yr old CVR had a brush go bad a couple days before a race so I bought the Powermaster. The CVR has been repaired and is a spare. The truck starter that you mention is a great starter, but it's not going to spin it any faster than what you have. The truck application" 95 F350 with a 460 gas engine.

Why don't you want to use a primer? I run a Primer Plus on my 588 bbf. It's got a belt drive fuel pump and runs on alky, but I use the primer on gas. Works like a dream. I drive it to staging and back up the return road on gas with the Primer Plus. Best accessory that I've put on my car.

David Cole
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 2nd 2009, 10:30 am

What's the Primer Plus?

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 2nd 2009, 11:58 am

chappy89 wrote:What's the Primer Plus?

The Primer Plus is a gas priming system that lets you prime and run on gas (if you are on alky).
It consists of a plate with a spraybar plate that's similar to a nitrous plate, but the holes are sized differently and they point up at 45° for better fuel atomization. The bar has a jet in the end for coarse fuel adjustment. There is a small tank for gas (you could plumb it off you fuel cell if you are already on gas vs alky). There is a small low pressure electric pump and a nitrous gas side solenoid. The solenoid is wired to be open whenever the pump is on and shuts off with the pump. It's there only to keep the engine from siphoning gas though the system after you shut it off. Lastly there is a needle valve attach to the plate where the jet is located for fine tuning adjustments.

Just turn it on for a shot of gas to prime and fire it until the belt drive pump catches up. You can "drive" it with the system on and the alky shut off. You set it for a fast 1800 rpm or so idle and you can drive around the pits or up the return road. It doesn't have any throttle response, but the fast idle is enough to get around. When you shut it off, it goes back the regular idle of your main fuel system.

If you are already on gas and just need to start the engine they have one that just has a nozzle instead of the plate/needle valve. Drill and tap the intake just under the throttle body/carb for the nozzle and give it a 2-3 second shot of gas to fire the engine until the mechanical pump catches up.

You can buy the setup from James Monroe, a Ron's Fuel Injection dealer. He will also sell you just the parts you need if you already have a pump, solenoid, etc and want to fab you own.

info:
http://www.killerrons.com/primer.cfm
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 2nd 2009, 12:30 pm

Wow, that's quite a nifty idea. Not really for my application though. I can't add any plates or anything, because it would change boost pipes and create all kinds of headaches in tech. Especially with a big Nitrous solenoid on it. LOL. I can run a primer pump, it's just more weight to add and more fuel lines, and more wiring. Just want to avoid it all together if I can.

Thanks for the info though.

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham November 2nd 2009, 4:33 pm

24V System like promod uses will get you more speed. Or you will have to use a small electric pump at the tank to get it started. I have a cable drive going on my 640 BBF with the tank in the back. I suppose I am going to have problems too.
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 2nd 2009, 7:14 pm

I think we're going to put a priming pump in the system. I think this is my only solution at this point.

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 2nd 2009, 9:30 pm

A truck starter will spin faster.....i do not have a # on the top of my head but they are not in the 4/1 + range .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 3rd 2009, 9:13 am

Lem,

How much faster are we talking about?

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 3rd 2009, 9:58 am

Like I said ...I don't have a # but i was looking into it some time back and the Ford start is not geared as low . Guess I should have wrote it down .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 3rd 2009, 12:27 pm

I don't want to keep throwing money at this. I know putting a primer pump will make it work. I don't want to go buy another starter without knowing for sure it will spin it fast enough. That's what I'm facing.

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole November 3rd 2009, 12:47 pm

Just my opinion. I don't think any 12V starter out there will spin it fast enough to make a belt drive pump produce enough pressure for the efi system you run. Most guys only run the the pump geared at 1/2 engine speed anyway, so you would need something that can spin the engine at a couple hundred rpm to get enough pump speed.

The 24V promod setup might work, but that would be more trouble than installing a primer pump.
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  chappy89 November 3rd 2009, 7:08 pm

I agree with you. The pump is driven at 60% right now, the motor turns around 120 rpm during starting, which means the pump sees 72 rpm. Aeromotive told me there's no way I can make pressure at that speed. So I just bought a priming pump today. I know this will fix it, but man what a headache!

chappy89

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down