BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disc brake set up for 9''

5 posters

Go down

Disc brake set up for 9'' Empty Disc brake set up for 9''

Post  tconnection February 2nd 2014, 2:42 am

Does anybody have some pics of how discs brakes are installed? Bearings are already installed on the axles. Do the bearings need pressing off?
Thanks for any info.

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Disc brake set up for 9'' Empty Re: Disc brake set up for 9''

Post  austin460 February 2nd 2014, 8:34 am

Are you using an aftermarket kit or fabbiing your own caliper brackets? When I converted mine I didn't need to remove bearings. I used Mercedes 190 discs and Ford Granada calipers as these incorporate a parking brake. Don't know if that last bit is any help as I am in the UK. If its any help I can take some photos of what I did and email them to you. I would post them up but im not that good with technology.
austin460
austin460

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 2nd 2014, 1:03 pm

What kit do you have? If you need to buy one Speedway Motors sells an inexpensive kit that uses GM metric calipers and has a weld on bracket.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow February 2nd 2014, 2:42 pm

I have a small bearing housing out of a '72 Lincoln Mark IV with 9 3/8 ring gear installed in my '79 Ranchero that I used 2000 Crown Vic rear discs/calipers/mounting brackets for my rear disc conversion. Here are some pics.

This pic shows where the bottom of the axle flange had to be trimmed to allow CV backing plate install.
Disc brake set up for 9'' Fishing-ranchero-brake-and-axle-025

This pic shows the CV backing plate/caliper mounting bracket assembly installed loosely.
Disc brake set up for 9'' Fishing-ranchero-brake-and-axle-030

This pic shows the required spacer between the axle flange retainer and the bearing that makes up the difference between the factory drum brake and CV backing plate/caliper mounting bracket. It measured .221".
Disc brake set up for 9'' Fishing-ranchero-brake-and-axle-026

This pic obviously shows the completed assembly. It uses off the shelf parts(minus the drilled rotors) so if needed, I can go to my local auto parts store and not need to wait on something to be special ordered/delivered to get me back on the road.
Disc brake set up for 9'' Ranchero-brake--engine-003

I had to install new bearings/lock rings/wear sleeves due to having to install spacers due to the dimension differences between the stock drum and Crown Vic disc brake backing plates. If you have a large bearing 9" housing this same type of conversion can be accomplished with Ford Explorer rotors/calipers/backing plates. .
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection March 2nd 2014, 10:54 pm

I have the big ford ends. So with the explore stuff, do you know whether ild have to use any spacers? And my axles already have bearings on them. Will I have to have the bearings pressed off to get the retainer plate on?
Thanks

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow March 3rd 2014, 3:39 pm

tconnection wrote:I have the big ford ends. So with the explore stuff, do you know whether ild have to use any spacers? And my axles already have bearings on them. Will I have to have the bearings pressed off to get the retainer plate on?
Thanks

Unfortunately, you would have to remove the wheel bearing/lock ring off of the axles to install the required spacers to use the Explorer rear disc set-up, you shouldn't use the lock rings if they were already pressed on the axleshaft before(I always install new wheel bearing if I have to press the old ones off, saves a later headache). The good thing about using factory parts to do this conversion is that replacement parts are, both easily available and very affordable. Good luck, Todd

BTW, there are numerous write-ups/threads on the internet with good directions about installing the Explorer rear disc conversion. These should give better details on what is needed and/or required. Personally, I have seen only one Explorer conversion, but have heard and/or read it uses basically the same components/directions as a small bearing 9"/Crown Vic rear disc conversion.
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  aquartlow March 3rd 2014, 4:15 pm

"Update"
There is a way of installing a spacer between the retainer and wheel bearing without removing the wheel bearing or lock ring. I don't recommend this but it has been done, the long term outcome is unknown though, but probably will work just fine. Some have taken an appropriate sized spacer and cut it to look like an oversized "C", which can be slid in between the wheel bearing and retainer(NOTE, this spacer should be just a little bit smaller in overall diameter than the wheel bearing). Once the retainer is bolted to the housing's axle flange the spacer can't fall out. Just an option, just not sure if this way has any long term issues. Good luck, Todd
aquartlow
aquartlow

Back to top Go down

Post  Larry T March 5th 2014, 10:53 pm

in the first link is the kit I used on my race car from moser.if you need a parking brake package check out the 2nd link and you don't need to do any pressing off or on of the bearings.

http://www.moserengineering.com/brakes/big-ford-housing-ends-w-2-36-hangout.html

http://www.moserengineering.com/brakes/moser-economy-disc-big-ford-housing-ends-2-36-parking-brake.html
Larry T
Larry T

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down