BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

+11
dirt_worker
NOS42
jeffgfg
512Fairlane
Matt Jewell
YellowStangDuane
DILLIGASDAVE
5pointslow
richter69
Dave C.
70FB
15 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 Empty Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  richter69 February 13th 2014, 12:27 pm

Ill get some pics of mine tonigt motor is out so you can see it all very well
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 Empty Re: 1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion.

Post  Dave C. February 13th 2014, 12:29 pm

I'd get rid of the shock towers and attach the struts to the front bar.... You'll gain a lot of room for headers and lose some more weight off the front...

Last edited by Dave C. on February 13th 2014, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 13th 2014, 12:37 pm

Yeah towers need to go if you want a decent header to ever go on it
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 2:06 pm

richter69 wrote:Those struts those put in those deals suck imo.... No adjustment. I found one of my spindles bent ghe otherday and im in the process of redoing it to use a reg bolt in fox strut.

The part of the spindle where the bearings sit? They told me if I needed to I good get a strange da cartridges for $700. I'll wait and see how these act. Maybe not a big deal on a 9.70 deal. Running 10.0 index. Later plans call for a removable front end,A460's,custom headers and get rid of the rest of the towers,bracing and I see a lot of steel that can go in the cowl/dash area. I only have a couple weeks left.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 2:10 pm

Dave C. wrote:I'd get rid of the shock towers and attach the struts to the front bar.... You'll gain a lot of room for headers and lose some more weight off the front...
I will. I'm just running out of time right now. I really only meant to do the bolt in thing with the kit but took it a little bit farther. I want to look at dropping the engine down also. Its sitting pretty high up. The bottom of the pan above the kmember is probably 5" up.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 2:12 pm

richter69 wrote:Yeah towers need to go if you want a decent header to ever go on it
Fiberglass fenders and side exits for the win.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 13th 2014, 2:20 pm

no room for side exits out the front
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 3:06 pm

richter69 wrote:no room for side exits out the front
Yep, it would be on the rear. Along with about 700 more hp. Some nitrous, A460's and a cage upgrade. Wiring also. I still have the stock junk on there. Hopefully next winter for some of it. My first race is March 22nd and I need to get at least 1 TNT in by then.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow February 13th 2014, 3:16 pm

keep posting pictures

looking good , i dont understand some of the comments .... have to lose the tops of the strut towers for good header clearence ?. i thought the whole idea of the aje was fox suspension to get more room inside the engine bay as well .

Im only asking because this is the kit im looking to do .....the more i hear the more i lean towards a SBF for my car .
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 3:36 pm

I will still be cutting more of the tower back. I'm just waiting until I get the tubing. I saw on another thread on here where somebody was asking about the clearance between the headers and the frame. I'll post some pics when I get there. Also something about the headers not fitting with a powerglide but I havent seen any problems with either yet. The steering rod may be an issue on the 2 tubes on the drivers side. I hope to find a lot of this out tonight if I work on it.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 10:54 pm

It looks like two of the tubes on the Hooker 6224 headers are hitting the frame on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger side. The 2 on the drivers side are also in the way of the steering shaft. It looks like the fox body column is closer in or farther back from the transmission. My shaft needs to run right through where the 2 tubes are. The one tube on the passenger side is barely up against the frame. Oh what fun this is.

I have the 2 tubes out in this pic. You can see where they slip in.
1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 0213142050_zps4d45534a

This is the passenger side. Look close here because it is the very back tube.
1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 0213142048_zps329a7779
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 10:56 pm

These headers to powerglide is no problem.
1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 0213142053_zps9266fb18
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 11:01 pm

Here is something to be aware of. My original mounts had the engine/trans sitting to far forward in the car. The oil pan would not clear the brace on the kmember and be able to get the flywheel in the trans without taking the trans loose and slide it back. I decided to slide the trans back and redo the mount. Since I had to redo the midplate and a new motor plate.
1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 0213142109_zps282a886a
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 13th 2014, 11:04 pm

I hope all this helps people in the future. Its definitely not a "bolt in" deal. AJE wanted this info also. So it should help them in the future.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 14th 2014, 2:55 am

Adding some small OD (say 5/8" to 1") internal and/or external tube bracing to help support the trimmed towers is probably worth looking into IMO. If you decide to keep the towers (vs completely removing them and mounting the strut tops directly to the forward support bars) the extra tube bracing should allow you to remove even more tower material (vs what you have already removed so far) from the lower section of the towers for even more header room. And of course the better you tie the forward support bars directly to the tower cap structure, the smaller OD tubing you should be able to use for the extra internal/external tube braces.

At the very least if you only add one tube brace inside each tower (running down from the under side of the tower cap to the OEM frame), you probably still need to add another tube brace outside the tower running down from the forward support bar it's self to the OEM frame. And if the front of the forward support bars are going to attach to the OEM frame closer to the radiator (and farther from the front motorplate mount area), you might think about adding another small brace in the area of the motor plate mount to help tie all three structures (motor plate mount, OEM frame, forward support bar) all together at the same time. Or you could bend the forward support bar angle more so that they attach to the OEM frame right at he front motor plate mount.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  YellowStangDuane February 14th 2014, 10:39 am

OK Dave, sounds like you are ready to do the install on my car! I'm still thinking about this swap...
YellowStangDuane
YellowStangDuane

Back to top Go down

Post  5pointslow February 14th 2014, 10:54 am

living in mass if i do bbf with this setup

i will drop car off at TUBUALR automotive and have a custom set done maybe sopme fender exits  Rolling Eyes 
5pointslow
5pointslow

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 14th 2014, 2:21 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Adding some small OD (say 5/8" to 1") internal and/or external tube bracing to help support the trimmed towers is probably worth looking into IMO. If you decide to keep the towers (vs completely removing them and mounting the strut tops directly to the forward support bars) the extra tube bracing should allow you to remove even more tower material (vs what you have already removed so far) from the lower section of the towers for even more header room. And of course the better you tie the forward support bars directly to the tower cap structure, the smaller OD tubing you should be able to use for the extra internal/external tube braces.

At the very least if you only add one tube brace inside each tower (running down from the under side of the tower cap to the OEM frame), you probably still need to add another tube brace outside the tower running down from the forward support bar it's self to the OEM frame. And if the front of the forward support bars are going to attach to the OEM frame closer to the radiator (and farther from the front motorplate mount area), you might think about adding another small brace in the area of the motor plate mount to help tie all three structures (motor plate mount, OEM frame, forward support bar) all together at the same time. Or you could bend the forward support bar angle more so that they attach to the OEM frame right at he front motor plate mount.

Thanks Dave, this is what I was looking for. As far as the radiator support,I think I'll just run a small "1/2" tube vertical from the frame up to the corner. The steel fenders,old inner fender lip and the forward bar back near the strut top should be enough to support it. My concern would be on a hard landing after a wheelstand with the weight of the headlights,buckets, etc. coming down as the suspension bottoms out.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 15th 2014, 2:01 am

Thats what i did it made it pretty sturdy....

1970 Mustang AJE front suspension conversion. - Page 2 EF33F1E4-CB55-43B4-ACA1-2900F1248E93

I picked up some slick spherical upper mounts for my new struts tonight, this changeover has been about 800 bucks worth but its gonna be worth it to have an adj strut on it now.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 15th 2014, 2:06 am

Btw ive done enough hard landings to smash a pan, bend spindles, break grill, unplug purge valve..... The core support and headlights are fine lol.

Fenders are just bolted to the core support at the front and the reg bolts at the rear, no additional support along the lips needed.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 15th 2014, 3:31 am

YellowStangDuane wrote:OK Dave, sounds like you are ready to do the install on my car! I'm still thinking about this swap...
Duane there is an open spot in the shop that should fit the YellowStang no problem.  Wink 

What I'm still curious about is where the ride height will sit on a 69/70 Stang with the AJE stuff that also keeps the OEM tower-tower caps (and this thread should help  Cool ). I have seen other years/models with the AJE stuff & OEM towers, but IIRC not the 69/70. And also curious if there is a big/small/any difference in ride height between their kits using their own fabbed spindle/strut assembly vs their kits using the OEM Fox or SN95 spindle/strut assemblies.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 15th 2014, 4:25 am

richter69 wrote:.......I picked up some slick spherical upper mounts for my new struts tonight.......

It sucks that Ford decided to design their OEM Mustang spindles with an "off centerline" offset strut-to-spindle attachment point which increases the need for a spherical ball upper mount to deal with the strut C/L misalignment-sweep when turning. Things would have been so much easier if they had just mounted the strut to the spindle on center with the top mount-to-ball joint centerline like a true McPherson strut design.

Also sucks that AJE doesn't make an adjustable cartridge insert for their own strut design. I wonder why they don't?  scratch

You would think when first designing their own strut/spindle design, the guys at AJE would have "adjustable valving" at the top of the list of things to include in their design.  scratch scratch scratch
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Jewell February 15th 2014, 8:57 am

I'm glad I stopped by today, haven't been on this site in quite a while.I have seen you post on YB and Maybe IndexRacer.net? Good to here you will be running 10.00 Index this season, are you heading to MD. or where? I have talked myself out of trying this same thing on my Cougar, alot of work. I put my Capri together because it was too easy and lighter. I'll be following this project. Some people don't understand keeping a Street Car feel to such a classic body style. Installing a complete tube frame Mustang II A-Arm style clip just wouldn't look correct on such a nice car. Keep posting and good luck.

Matt Jewell

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 15th 2014, 9:56 am

richter69 wrote:Btw ive done enough hard landings to smash a pan, bend spindles, break grill, unplug purge valve..... The core support and headlights are fine lol.

Fenders are just bolted to the core support at the front and the reg bolts at the rear, no additional support along the lips needed.
I'll take a look at it today. I like that small support. It is something I can do later after the major stuff is out the way. I saw a car a while back that had skids on the bottom of the frame for the wheelstands. "no wheelie bar class".
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB February 15th 2014, 9:59 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:
YellowStangDuane wrote:OK Dave, sounds like you are ready to do the install on my car! I'm still thinking about this swap...
Duane there is an open spot in the shop that should fit the YellowStang no problem.  Wink 

What I'm still curious about is where the ride height will sit on a 69/70 Stang with the AJE stuff that also keeps the OEM tower-tower caps (and this thread should help  Cool ). I have seen other years/models with the AJE stuff & OEM towers, but IIRC not the 69/70. And also curious if there is a big/small/any difference in ride height between their kits using their own fabbed spindle/strut assembly vs their kits using the OEM Fox or SN95 spindle/strut assemblies.
I can say that the directions say to use my original castle nut on the spindles. Well,I sold them with the old stuff. I went to Napa and what they had wouldn't work. It ended up being a Chevy size castle nut. I'll have to check the thread size and get back.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next